Noob Question: Hairs showing before reduced light cycle

• Thread starter MobyBear
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MobyBear

MobyBear

Total noob question - So I plan to flower outside but have her under indoor light for early morning and evening to get a full 18/6 cycle to maximize growth before putting it fully outdoors starting to see the white hairs which is good but is it starting to flower somehow on this light cycle or normal to see? Thanks!
Noob question hairs showing before reduced light cycle

Noob question hairs showing before reduced light cycle 2
StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney

Hey, if your plant is an autoflower that can happen. They sometimes flower when they want, no matter the light cycle.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
when they are outside they get extra stuff from the sun they dont get from the light indoors. this helps them make the hormone that signals them to flower.

so bringing them in and getting them light hasnt stopped the hormonal change.

some of that is due to really good genetics actually. they aim for ones that are resilient and wont stress over these things. it is so well bred it is ignoring your inside light!

but, yes, to answer you. it is in flower. you can let it flower or force it back to veg (but that takes a while).

MobyBear

MobyBear

Hmm, maybe it is an aunt flower then. Thai has been growing for a little over 60days from seed, but don’t have any actual info on the seed. Was in some random seed bank bonus pack a buddy had and gave to me.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
60 days is too late to be an auto - well, mostly... there are ways

MobyBear

MobyBear

when they are outside they get extra stuff from the sun they dont get from the light indoors. this helps them make the hormone that signals them to flower.

so bringing them in and getting them light hasnt stopped the hormonal change.

some of that is due to really good genetics actually. they aim for ones that are resilient and wont stress over these things. it is so well bred it is ignoring your inside light!

but, yes, to answer you. it is in flower. you can let it flower or force it back to veg (but that takes a while).
Super helpful and good to know she’s in flower and has strung genetics. This plant has been super resilient and forgivable to any changes which has been awesome for a noob like myself. Is it too late to take a clipping for a clone now?

MobyBear

MobyBear

Also at this point would you just leave it outside to do it’s thing?

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
not too late at all. even in flower not too late, they call those monster clones (they look crazy for a while!)

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
yes, that is what i would do... but that is just me

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
depending on where you are they will flower according to zone. here, outside, they would just be showing signs, sort of like yours. in a month they will stretch and fill and by oct done. but that is strain related too. but where it is more light or less it is different. not by so much though.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

I do the back and forth between indoor and outdoor all the time. This is something that can be very strain specific. Some strains (usually the indicas but sometimes not) will be more sensitive to the light changes. I do not think your plant is an auto it would have started flowering by week 4 to 6 on its own I think you have a regular photoperiod and when you were jumping it between the two light sources it tricked it into flower. It has happened to me many times and from experience you learn. When you have the pre-flower pistols starting to show on the sides of the stem it is OK but once you start to see the white hairs coming out of the very tip (crown) then it is usually a bit too late. From my experience you can try to keep hitting it with light and it will eventually re-veg but it will take weeks and your structure will change you will start to get smaller shoots coming out and you will see a lot of little single re-veg leaves shoot out. In my humble opinion at this point it is best to just keep it outside and let it continue to finish flowering. A 60 day veg period is acceptable in my opinion you should get a nice finish if you just let it go.

MobyBear

MobyBear

She’s in good shape to handle flowering I think, bushy and strong.

Last edited:
Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

View attachment 1155053She’s in good shape to handle flowering but was planning on adding bloom fertilizer first but now this I’ll just go without feeding yes?
Don't bloom feed yet way too early. I stick with light vegetative feeding all the way until there are fully developed white button tops. Your weeks away IMO. Once you see the hairy white tops and you start to see the trichomes form then I slowly switch to bloom feed. I like to do it gradually and by the time you are 3/4 of the way through flower then you can really start picking up the feed. Towards the very end right before flush is when you are maxing out. Personally I like to start light and build up. Like a race-car man in order to go fast you gotta go 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear... and so on until you are redlinning it at full speed at the very end. Think of it like that. When Im doing indoor my light intensity also increases at a similar interval to the bloom feedings. At the beginning of flower my light is still at lower settings. As we get deeper into flower I am increasing bloom feed and light intensity. Last few weeks are critical and crucial that is where your weight and trichs really pop the last few weeks I have worked my way up and I am slamming them with the kitchen sink heavy bloom feed light and my Scorpion Diablo board at full power. Of course you are outdoor so you have no control over Sun power however you still can control the feeding schedule. Ease into it and dont start really slamming it until the later end of flower.

MobyBear

MobyBear

I do the back and forth between indoor and outdoor all the time. This is something that can be very strain specific. Some strains (usually the indicas but sometimes not) will be more sensitive to the light changes. I do not think your plant is an auto it would have started flowering by week 4 to 6 on its own I think you have a regular photoperiod and when you were jumping it between the two light sources it tricked it into flower. It has happened to me many times and from experience you learn. When you have the pre-flower pistols starting to show on the sides of the stem it is OK but once you start to see the white hairs coming out of the very tip (crown) then it is usually a bit too late. From my experience you can try to keep hitting it with light and it will eventually re-veg but it will take weeks and your structure will change you will start to get smaller shoots coming out and you will see a lot of little single re-veg leaves shoot out. In my humble opinion at this point it is best to just keep it outside and let it continue to finish flowering. A 60 day veg period is acceptable in my opinion you should get a nice finish if you just let it go.
Thanks!

MobyBear

MobyBear

Don't bloom feed yet way too early. I stick with light vegetative feeding all the way until there are fully developed white button tops. Your weeks away IMO. Once you see the hairy white tops and you start to see the trichomes form then I slowly switch to bloom feed. I like to do it gradually and by the time you are 3/4 of the way through flower then you can really start picking up the feed. Towards the very end right before flush is when you are maxing out. Personally I like to start light and build up. Like a race-car man in order to go fast you gotta go 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear... and so on until you are redlinning it at full speed at the very end. Think of it like that. When Im doing indoor my light intensity also increases at a similar interval to the bloom feedings. At the beginning of flower my light is still at lower settings. As we get deeper into flower I am increasing bloom feed and light intensity. Last few weeks are critical and crucial that is where your weight and trichs really pop the last few weeks I have worked my way up and I am slamming them with the kitchen sink heavy bloom feed light and my Scorpion Diablo board at full power. Of course you are outdoor so you have no control over Sun power however you still can control the feeding schedule. Ease into it and dont start really slamming it until the later end of flower.
This is unbelievably helpful - thank you!! Very clear! Pretty excited, will be my first flower cycle.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

not too late at all. even in flower not too late, they call those monster clones (they look crazy for a while!)
Hell yeah bro! I am monster cropping a beast Fire OG on my patio right now. I have an EZ cloner so my cloning game is on point, recently I have been experimenting with monster cropping and I am even trying a double monster crop. Im not exactly sure how its gonna come out but so far its looking really good. I heard from a few sources online that if you re-veg more than once it can stunt the plant and it's possible it makes your flower weaker in the end. I'm not sure if this is a rumor or if it's true but either way I'm gonna find out. I started with the best Fire OG cut I call it my Madman cut this beautiful girl makes amazing flower. I took a fully finished bud cut and then cloned it. so basically I Re-vegged it once at the start in the very beginning. When you start a clone from a bud it takes forever but once it starts pushing out all the shoots it gives you crazy branching structure and as you grow it out your base has many shoots coming out that eventually turn into tiny trunks. Its like a wicked hand growing out of the pot like this...
Screen Shot 2021 08 08 at 101829 AM

Then I flowered the plant when it was a few feet tall. Once it was in full flower with nugs then I re-vegged it a second time. This second re-veg gave me the crazy hand again only this time its coming out of all the bud sites so you get awesome crazy splits and branching like this...

Screen Shot 2021 08 08 at 102248 AM

So after running it through the trellis and doing a lower strip and lollipop it looks like this...

Screen Shot 2021 08 08 at 102822 AM

Screen Shot 2021 08 08 at 102842 AM

Now that the plant has been re-vegged twice and has a ton of shoots bushing out now I use this 300w cheap ebay special light (seen below) to prevent it from going into flower again. we are pushing it in veg from here on out and this light is on a timer it goes on in the evening at 7pm and stays on until 10:30pm. Then at 4:30 am it come on again and shuts off at 7am. This way I am keeping the plant at 18 hours of light throughout the day. This allows me to manipulate the light times and I can veg much deeper into the season. I will be building a second layer of metal trellis and in about 3 weeks from now I will turn off this light rig to let the beast start to flower. This girl gonna be over head high once she stops stretching! 👍 😎

Screen Shot 2021 08 08 at 102902 AM

MobyBear

MobyBear

Hell yeah bro! I am monster cropping a beast Fire OG on my patio right now. I have an EZ cloner so my cloning game is on point, recently I have been experimenting with monster cropping and I am even trying a double monster crop. Im not exactly sure how its gonna come out but so far its looking really good. I heard from a few sources online that if you re-veg more than once it can stunt the plant and it's possible it makes your flower weaker in the end. I'm not sure if this is a rumor or if it's true but either way I'm gonna find out. I started with the best Fire OG cut I call it my Madman cut this beautiful girl makes amazing flower. I took a fully finished bud cut and then cloned it. so basically I Re-vegged it once at the start in the very beginning. When you start a clone from a bud it takes forever but once it starts pushing out all the shoots it gives you crazy branching structure and as you grow it out your base has many shoots coming out that eventually turn into tiny trunks. Its like a wicked hand growing out of the pot like this...
View attachment 1155070

Then I flowered the plant when it was a few feet tall. Once it was in full flower with nugs then I re-vegged it a second time. This second re-veg gave me the crazy hand again only this time its coming out of all the bud sites so you get awesome crazy splits and branching like this...

View attachment 1155072

So after running it through the trellis and doing a lower strip and lollipop it looks like this...

View attachment 1155075
View attachment 1155076

Now that the plant has been re-vegged twice and has a ton of shoots bushing out now I use this 300w cheap ebay special light (seen below) to prevent it from going into flower again. we are pushing it in veg from here on out and this light is on a timer it goes on in the evening at 7pm and stays on until 10:30pm. Then at 4:30 am it come on again and shuts off at 7am. This way I am keeping the plant at 18 hours of light throughout the day. This allows me to manipulate the light times and I can veg much deeper into the season. I will be building a second layer of metal trellis and in about 3 weeks from now I will turn off this light rig to let the beast start to flower. This girl gonna be over head high once she stops stretching! 👍 😎

View attachment 1155086
Looking good man!

Top Bottom