Problem with transplanting newly germinated seed into DWC

• Thread starter erfingaurus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

erfingaurus

I recently moved a rock wool germinated seed into my DWC and its growing weird. I can't tell what this is a sign of, maybe too much water or nutes?

I waited till the germinated seed showed roots growing out of the bottom of the rockwool, at least 2 were about 1" long, wasnt a huge bundle but I put it in to the net pot on top of a layer of soaked hydro ton (in 1/6 nutrients solution), then a layer of hydroton soaked In just distilled water (pH 5.5-6), then with water poured over. I soaked the 1st layer of hydroton in the same solution I put in the DWC, its just a 1/6 strength of veg nutes and a bit of photosynthesis plus. The water level was at the first layer of hydroton. It seems to be alive and trying to grow new leaves but the stem's a bit weak and I dont see any roots below the net pot. There were roots started for sure in the rock wool before I moved.

It's on a 18/6 light cycle and the plants are pretty close... like 8" to a ft away from the light. I recently changed the solution to just distilled water, pH of 5.5-6, and lowered the level to an inch below the net pot to try and save it. The first photo is what it looks Iike now (It's been on the nuted solution for 5 days and I just changed to water today--I'll update).

Luckily, another one of my seeds took and it's looking great but I want to make sure I don't make the same mistake when I transplant this other lil guy (photo 2).

Problem with transplanting newly germinated seed into dwc
Problem with transplanting newly germinated seed into dwc 2
B

Bdubs

Soak and clean your pebbles in Ph’d water. Fill the net cup with pebbles. Put your block in there and fill around it with pebbles. The pebbles should block all light as long as you planted it high enough in the net cup. From there, keep water level below the net cup and leave her be. Do not need to water the rockwool. Bubble splash from air stones will saturate the pebbles and keep it moist. I do water the block every so often though just to keep it moist and not dry, only very little water like 50ml though. And rarely, as when you water the block from the top, you will see overwater symptoms for a day or so until it fully drains.

B

Bdubs

If you use a small rockwool pod then straight to pebbles, no watering of the rockwool needed. But a bigger block may need it. Like a 4” block will need moistening of the top like every 2 weeks or even 3 but don’t focus on it as it really isn’t needed much. Just to keep away dry rot possibilities (if bigger blocks used).

Also, the bigger the rockwool block used in the net pot will substantially increase the chances of root rot from the block staying too moist. So rarely and only if necessary wet the block.
Because of the above statement, the bigger the block used or the less pebble barrier to rockwool block, lower your water level and splash control is more critical to not over splash or under oxygenate the water. More precision needed to manage or prevent root rot at the block.

E

erfingaurus

Soak and clean your pebbles in Ph’d water. Fill the net cup with pebbles. Put your block in there and fill around it with pebbles. The pebbles should block all light as long as you planted it high enough in the net cup. From there, keep water level below the net cup and leave her be. Do not need to water the rockwool. Bubble splash from air stones will saturate the pebbles and keep it moist. I do water the block every so often though just to keep it moist and not dry, only very little water like 50ml though. And rarely, as when you water the block from the top, you will see overwater symptoms for a day or so until it fully drains.
Nutes at which point? I’ve added 1/6 nutes to the bad looking one but waiting on the other. the new one is showing roots growing into the water which is good, but the older (worse looking one) hasn’t reached the water yet I see roots weaving their way in the hydroton tho

E

erfingaurus

Nutes at which point? I’ve added 1/6 nutes to the bad looking one but waiting on the other. the new one is showing roots growing into the water which is good, but the older (worse looking one) hasn’t reached the water yet I see roots weaving their way in the hydroton tho
Cool thanks!

I did as you said and its been going now, I've added incrementally adding nutes and we're at 1/4 nutes and Photosyntheiss Plus now. I'm pretty sure these are both female but what do you see? They're about 3-4 weeks in DWC so far.

IMG 6570
IMG 6572
E

erfingaurus

Mmm yes additional light but mainly to further prevent the light from hitting the rockwool underneath the hydroton which I think can lead to algae and root rot

B

Bdubs

Look at the sexy organs, the single blades at the bases. If those are crossing each other or both leaning toward eachother then it’s a good chance she is female. If they deviate or want to grow away, possible male

E

erfingaurus

Look at the sexy organs, the single blades at the bases. If those are crossing each other or both leaning toward eachother then it’s a good chance she is female. If they deviate or want to grow away, possible male
What do you think based off those pics?

Top Bottom