purple striped stem bad or good

• Thread starter lvstealth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
ive read that a purple stem is not often a good thing, but this one is purple striped, is that ok. when i google it, i am getting lots about purple, and nothing about stripes.

would the stripes tell me what strain it is?

20210322_223448.jpg

Marzcanna

Marzcanna

ive read that a purple stem is not often a good thing, but this one is purple striped, is that ok. when i google it, i am getting lots about purple, and nothing about stripes.

would the stripes tell me what strain it is?

View attachment 1105576

Hi, well i wouldn't worry too much in general, that is if your plant is looking healthy otherwise. There are a few reasons for it as you probably have read, if your plant is looking healthy we could lean more towards genotype of the plant.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
thanks!

actually, it is not really healthy, but i know what i did, and it is recovering. but the stem has had the stripes since it was about 2 weeks old (before i knocked it over). it was never purple, just the stripe. sort of stood out from the rest. and a bit of weird leaves at the very beginning. it had a 4 lobe set of leaves when it was suppose to have 5. but that fixed itself by the next leaves.

Thank you @Homesteader for the info! reading these now.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
was it striped? or just purple? i read a lot about that, but it indicated the stems were purple, not striped.

im afraid it is male, so it wont matter, pout!

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
is this right? i chose this one to try to FIM. i figured these would be good to practice on. so i nipped the tip off, then about 10 days later i nipped the two that came up from that. then i noticed this today. where i nipped the main part at the top, it grew the two side ones, but then it grew a new main part. i have a pic, because i cant explain my question. but i thought that part stayed like a stump, not get a new piece on it. is this the way it is suppose to go?

20210323 090838
20210323 090655

Homesteader

Homesteader

Yeah it looks like you are having a mineral issue judging by the leaves. This could also point to pH or cold like was said. What medium or nutrients are you using? I don't see any sex. Is this your only plant?

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
@Homesteader - this one, i know what i did, and it is trying to get better. i knocked it over and jumbled the soil. the bottom 1/3 was "hot" super soil. when i picked it up, i didnt think, and just shoved it back in the pot. so it got burned.

but that is not what i am asking, i know what that is. what i want to know is the stump thing growing. so, you fim one and get 2, then you fim those 2 and get 4, right? so i have 5. i fimmed one, got two, fimmed the 2 got 4 and the first one grew back so 5. the second image is the center of the top image, the first one i fimmed, see how it grew a new bit out of that "stumpy" looking bit i pinched off?

im googling, but since i dont know anything i am having a difficult time filtering

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
im looking at images, and the after fim looks like this pic, nothing growing out of the stump part like mine. did i fim wrong? did i f*** i missed the fim?

what i am seeing on google:

Stems thicken after topping

mine:

20210323 090655

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
@Marzcanna lol, no matter, should it grow back? that is the question. and that is a perfect example of how i have an issue googling things i might not be using the words right, but the question is the same no matter, should it grow a new part there, on the stump?

and, that one is from the internet (i said google, but the net in general), not my plant. it was just to show you that no green part is growing out of the stump part. not in your pic either. so is that weird, or normal, or should i nip it again? will i have 5 instead of the 4?

this is when i first pinched that tiny part off, which i thought was fimming. it was just a tiny bit at the very top. then two grew and i pinched the tiny bit off those, then a few days later this grew a new green part

20210323 103032

the one above grew this
20210323 090655

Last edited:
Marzcanna

Marzcanna

@Marzcanna lol, no matter, should it grow back? that is the question. and that is a perfect example of how i have an issue googling things i might not be using the words right, but the question is the same no matter, should it grow a new part there, on the stump?

and, that one is from the internet, not mine. it was just to show you that no green part is growing out of the stump part. not in your pic either. so is that weird, or normal, or should i nip it again?

I think leave it, let your plant recover. Plants start doing wired sh**t when they under stress dont be surprised if they pick themselves up from the pot & start walking around your living room, i dont put anything past these plants 😄. Generally toping & fiming are high stress techniques, I personally only top twice in the whole plants life. There are growers that top multiple times but you should give your plant a recovery window before attempting further fimings or toppings. So to answer your question just leave it be for awhile and see how it grows. Post a pic in a couple of weeks and lets see what its doing

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i waited 10 days after doing the first one, then i did the two it grew and it has been about 5 days. i only planned on doing those two times. so, no more torture for this one. not to mention, i dont know if it is a male, i had 3 bag seed, and 2 are female, and i dont know on this one, but the odds are its a male. i should know soon, i think this one got set back from its mishap.

Credits420OG

Credits420OG

i have same issus like you, have strips on my steam.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Here an article you want to read ...

tldr: purple stem can happen for a wide range of reason that you don't necessarly need to worry about.
Agreed here, if the plant was unhealthy and something was pointing at a specific deficiency or disease there would be cause for concern. I will assume you’re growing with LED from the backlighting in your picture, purple stems are common when they are exposed to LED’s usually the side of the stem not directly facing the light is less purple or not purple at all. I run LED’s and it’s common to have purple stems.

Also running purple strains with cooler temps I’ve heard turns the stems purple before the leaves but that’s just hearsay I’ve come across without personal experience with it 😁

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter

and, that one is from the internet (i said google, but the net in general), not my plant. it was just to show you that no green part is growing out of the stump part. not in your pic either. so is that weird, or normal, or should i nip it again? will i have 5 instead of the 4?

this is when i first pinched that tiny part off, which i thought was fimming. it was just a tiny bit at the very top. then two grew and i pinched the tiny bit off those, then a few days later this grew a new green part

View attachment 1105722
the one above grew this
View attachment 1105723
Triple header, I would sit say that was a fim or miss, with how developed the 2 new nodes are I’d say she just decided she wanted a anode there, triple top for the win😁

Top Bottom