Recycling root balls without a lot of fuss?

• Thread starter camdendiesel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
camdendiesel

camdendiesel

Hello everyone! This is my first post here at THC farmer. Nice to meet you all! =D

I need a little advice. I have all these old root balls from tomatoes and cannabis. I have been planning to compost them to get rid of the roots and reuse the soil mixture, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. The mixture is mostly fox farm ocean forest, some manure compost, perlite, and the tomatoes have some promix BX mixed in there. Save for the Promix, everything is organic, and the promix is just bog peat and lime so I see no reason that this stuff wouldn't compost as well. The advice I am looking for is the best way to compost this stuff. Should I use vermiculture? I know worms get down on decomposing roots and enrich the soil in the process.
I'm not really a compost guy and I'm not really looking to get in to it. I just want to stop wasting this stuff and save a little money for beer, so what I'm looking for is just a simple comprehensive idea to make this stuff usable again. I have space indoors and out. I do live in NE USA where it freezes in the winter.

Any and all advice is appreciated in advance.
Thank you! and remember to be excellent to each other!

Rooke

Rooke

Hello everyone! This is my first post here at THC farmer. Nice to meet you all! =D

I need a little advice. I have all these old root balls from tomatoes and cannabis. I have been planning to compost them to get rid of the roots and reuse the soil mixture, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. The mixture is mostly fox farm ocean forest, some manure compost, perlite, and the tomatoes have some promix BX mixed in there. Save for the Promix, everything is organic, and the promix is just bog peat and lime so I see no reason that this stuff wouldn't compost as well. The advice I am looking for is the best way to compost this stuff. Should I use vermiculture? I know worms get down on decomposing roots and enrich the soil in the process.
I'm not really a compost guy and I'm not really looking to get in to it. I just want to stop wasting this stuff and save a little money for beer, so what I'm looking for is just a simple comprehensive idea to make this stuff usable again. I have space indoors and out. I do live in NE USA where it freezes in the winter.

Hey there I’m not a compost knowledgeable person but I emptied my big pots into a clear heavy plastic bag earlier in the spring and let it sit in the sun. I checked it after a few days and it was hot very hot which I’m assuming killed everything that was alive in there then used it in my raised beds to grow veggies it worked fine for awhile then I noticed that it was lacking nutrients so I mixed a shovel full of horse manure into a 20 litre pot with water for a day strained it off then watered with it and boom! That was enough to last about 2 weeks maters exploded so did my beans and carrots hope this helps☮️

TrunkMonkey

TrunkMonkey

How long has the rootballs been sitting out?

You can compost them adding some green and brown and let them sit for 30 days. After that add some worms and you should be good.

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

The advice I am looking for is the best way to compost this stuff. Should I use vermiculture? I know worms get down on decomposing roots and enrich the soil in the process.
A compost Thumbler its the fastest and easier way to get compost....its ready in 3 months if you keep an eye on the Nitrogen-Carbon ratio....
Of course also vermicompost is a excellent choice but a bit more involved....☮️

Top Bottom