RUN-OFF EC IS THE KEY TO NO DEFICIENCIES.

• Thread starter johnsmith_559
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
johnsmith_559

johnsmith_559

hello . This is for all mediums. actual soil , soiless like sphagnum moss, rockwood, even water based systems but the solutions are slightly different.
THIS IS ALSO ASSUMING YOU ARE USING A COMPLETE 12 MINERAL FORMULA
N P K Ca Mg S Fe Mn B Z Mo Cu . if one is missing the plants die .
About 20 to 30 % of DEFICIENCIES I have seen also come from an incomplete formula. this tends 4o be more pronounced with organic systems or organic integrated systems ( part organic part chem feed solution)
so I wanted to post this because 80% + of all nutrient deficiencies I have seen across all forums are directly related to HIGH EC in the media .
if the medium EC is 2x the input EC the plants most likely will be suffering from nutrient lockup making present minerals unavailable and showing symptoms of false deficiencies ( they are deficient, just not because the minerals are not there ) .
it can show any mineral. I have seen every one.
most common is mobile minerals like potassium and nitrogen.
A VERY COMMON symptom NOT necessarily associated with the falsely displaying symptoms is ...necrosis ( dead tissue) and chlorosis ( yellowing ). chlorosis is common to a lot but necrosis is not. it is a good indicator.
example : waste runoff should be 25 to 50% higher than feed .
FEED EC. 800 ( your scale may be different)
waste runoff 1000 to 1200
if it hits double flush as much as needed to reduce to 1000 to 1200 .
-OVERWATER by 10 to 20 % with each watering to keep medium EC DOWN .
Even if your in soil , actual soil ( in a bag nut not sphagnum based ) you can still flush .All soil makes say you can, and recommend you do when replanting.
an important thing for ANY media is it is allowed to dry .
A pot sitting in even an ( 1") inch of water will not drain properly because of its natural wicking ability . the pot or bag needs to be raised out of it .
I used styrofoam pieces cut to pot size if I needed. just to keep them above the water in a saucer or whatever.
IF YOU MAINTAIN YOUR NUTRIENT CORRECTLY IT IS SO MUCH EASIER TO DIAGNOSE ACTUAL PROBLEMS WHEN THEY ARRISE .

johnsmith_559

johnsmith_559

If you are thinking about just adding one item such as calcium mag just add the other 10 as a complete solution.
-then you do not wait to see if it is fixed and then may have to try again.
-nutrient is cheap, your plants and your time are not .
THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE TO FLUSHING WITH A COMPLETE SOLUTION . then you know if it was a nutrient issue it is fixed .if not you have now reduced the potential causes by 12 ( minerals) .

Latest posts

Top Bottom