Running LED full spectrum!

• Thread starter TXcanna
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TXcanna

Running LED full spectrum grow light for first grow. Currently towards end of seedling stage. Lights are about foot and a half away from plants. The heat is not causing an issue. How far away are y'all running your lights?

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

Since my light is a cheap 1000w full spectrum265 actual draw. I put it as close as possible without damaging/stressing plants to max what I get out of the thing. I am also probably buying another 2-3 more amazon grow lights to try and get a higher yield

T

TXcanna

I'm probably about 15-18 inches away at the moment. The LED board is fan cooled and doesn't produce immense heat. So I think I can get pretty close. Just wondering what's to close or to far.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It's not ideal but I use a Lux meter on my phone (can download them for free) and adjust based on my plants reaction. Seedlings 5000-10000 lux, veg 10000-50000, flower 50000+. I would say if your just at the end of seedling no more than 20000 and then you can bump it up slowly over the grow until you get a feel for how the plants are reacting. Like I said it's not the best practice but it's the best to get you close without buying a par meter.

Height of lights mean nothing. It's the par you want to achieve. In this case lux will get you close and is better than trying to go off height and all the rest.

T

TXcanna

It's not ideal but I use a Lux meter on my phone (can download them for free) and adjust based on my plants reaction. Seedlings 5000-10000 lux, veg 10000-50000, flower 50000+. I would say if your just at the end of seedling no more than 20000 and then you can bump it up slowly over the grow until you get a feel for how the plants are reacting. Like I said it's not the best practice but it's the best to get you close without buying a par meter.

Height of lights mean nothing. It's the par you want to achieve. In this case lux will get you close and is better than trying to go off height and all the rest.

I saw that app earlier. I'll look into it. Appreciate it!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have a lux meter in the tent. It only goes to 5000 though and it's maxed out.
Yeah just download the app call light meter. I can tell you from experience is goes well over 100,000 lux

T

TXcanna

Current setup is in the attic. Not ideal for summer heat I know but it's just the space I have for discreet purpose. 4'*2'*6' tent. Running 1000w LED full spectrum dual fan cooled grow board. 4" ventilation system with carbon filter (not installed yet, in transit). Regular fan for circulation. Then I just purchased a tower fan with a actual super cool setting to remedy the attic heat. Current temp is low to mid 80's. Gonna install tower fan and see where it ends up. Ventilation system should help to. Humidity is around 48%.

Dan789

Dan789

Current setup is in the attic. Not ideal for summer heat I know but it's just the space I have for discreet purpose. 4'*2'*6' tent. Running 1000w LED full spectrum dual fan cooled grow board. 4" ventilation system with carbon filter (not installed yet, in transit). Regular fan for circulation. Then I just purchased a Itower fan with a actual super cool setting to remedy the attic heat. Current temp is low to mid 80's. Gonna install tower fan and see where it ends up. Ventilation system should help to. Humidity is around 48%.
Because if the heat here in Northern California I choose to grow off season, run two tents, when in bloom offset the timers so you always have lights on. That way you won’t have to add heat, just scavenge exhaust heat off both tents and circulate it. I have a room, so it’s more possible. Good luck.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Current setup is in the attic. Not ideal for summer heat I know but it's just the space I have for discreet purpose. 4'*2'*6' tent. Running 1000w LED full spectrum dual fan cooled grow board. 4" ventilation system with carbon filter (not installed yet, in transit). Regular fan for circulation. Then I just purchased a tower fan with a actual super cool setting to remedy the attic heat. Current temp is low to mid 80's. Gonna install tower fan and see where it ends up. Ventilation system should help to. Humidity is around 48%.
Your leds are likely more like 250 true watts, you need air circulation in order to keep CO2 levels up and remove excess humidity. With led low 80's temps should be ok since they usually don't provide infared. So they leaf temps should be good with air temps in the low 80's. Humidity over 50% would be best if you can ideally 60-70 in veg. You will need air movement to help with plant respiration and to keep leaves from sweating and forming water droplets. A fan indirectly providing air flow on tge plants is ideal. Leaves wiggling/dancing but not enough to make the stems move. That fan will likely not help much with cooling but keeping the leaves moving will provide for some evaporative cooling of the leaves. Be prepared for problems and don't expect to much out of your first grow it's going to be a learning experience and each grow after should improve as you learn

T

TXcanna

Your leds are likely more like 250 true watts, you need air circulation in order to keep CO2 levels up and remove excess humidity. With led low 80's temps should be ok since they usually don't provide infared. So they leaf temps should be good with air temps in the low 80's. Humidity over 50% would be best if you can ideally 60-70 in veg. You will need air movement to help with plant respiration and to keep leaves from sweating and forming water droplets. A fan indirectly providing air flow on tge plants is ideal. Leaves wiggling/dancing but not enough to make the stems move. That fan will likely not help much with cooling but keeping the leaves moving will provide for some evaporative cooling of the leaves. Be prepared for problems and don't expect to much out of your first grow it's going to be a learning experience and each grow after should improve as you learn

Appreciate the tips. I'm using some healthy seeds I found in an oz of ghost train from dispensary for first grow. I have some good ones I ordered but seeing as this is my first time and it's more experimental I don't want to use the expensive feminized seeds yet. As soon as the ventilation system gets here it's going in. Should help with the things you mentioned. Thanks again.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Appreciate the tips. I'm using some healthy seeds I found in an oz of ghost train from dispensary for first grow. I have some good ones I ordered but seeing as this is my first time and it's more experimental I don't want to use the expensive feminized seeds yet. As soon as the ventilation system gets here it's going in. Should help with the things you mentioned. Thanks again.
Good plan

T

TXcanna

Just checked lux with the app. Got light set where it's reading just over 17,500 right at top of plant

T

TXcanna

I'm gonna have some real problems with heat. I ordered another fan for intake. Got a 4" duct boot and ducting to rig up an intake fan pulling the cool air in from my bedroom. Should improve air circulation and bring the temp down considerably.

T

TXcanna

Working like a champ. Temp got up to almost 100 degrees. Sitting right at 80 after getting the intake fan in. Pulling the cooler air in from my bedroom.

IMG 20190526 222750480
IMG 20190526 222527565
IMG 20190526 222518722
IMG 20190526 222612198
bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

I'm probably about 15-18 inches away at the moment. The LED board is fan cooled and doesn't produce immense heat. So I think I can get pretty close. Just wondering what's to close or to far.
when your leaves start to taco your lights are too close.

Top Bottom