Short Ryder (Auto-Fem) First Grow

• Thread starter rendor11
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rendor11

rendor11

What's up everybody. I searched the forums for any posts about the "Low Ryder" or "Short Ryder" Strain before I posted this. The problem I have is sort of 2 fold you could say. I'm using an old school drip feed method of Hydroponics and my basement has a short ceiling (around 75" max) So I have my planter sitting around knee height with a reservoir underneath. I first started growing Northern Lights and White Widow, both photo-period and Auto-Flowering types of each. Topping the plants helped ALLOT! but I just kept running out of headroom.

So this time I searched for a short hybrid of Northern Lights and I found Low Ryder / Short Ryder. I wish I took pictures of the first 2-3 weeks because 1 problem I had was the seedlings toppled over and bent the stem in half 2 different times. Short Ryder is the "Auto" version of Low Ryder and the seedlings are very week at first. If they get too large too fast, OR stretch too much the seedlings can just topple over. From MY experience, once you hit week 3 and the stems are strong you're in good shape. You may never even have that issue with soil or if you actually know what you're doing LMAO. This is the first "Short" indoor plant I ever tried to grow.

So I'm almost ready to harvest my plant and all things considered I would call it a success. What's interesting about this Short Ryder strain is how thick the base of the stem is and how quickly it gets pencil thin! The thickness variation is extreme. It's almsot like you chopped the bottom 3rd out of a Northern Lights plant and glued the top part back onto the base. Also the white hairs are ridiculously long! Its like an 16 year olds first attempt at growing a beard or something with these long scraggly hairs everywhere.

I'm using a worn out 1200 watt LED which is past it's expiration date so I can keep it just 5 icnhes from the top of the plant. At least I didn't run out of headroom this time. The plant is 27" tall and I never topped it or used any netting to control the height. 18 hours of light per day. I feed it 3x a day for 20 minutes during the light hours only. General Hydroponics nutes.

PS. I can update this thread and show what my dry yields are if people are interested. So far I would definitely recommend this strain but obviously I need to smoke it first.

Low Ryder info Short Ryder info

Short ryder auto fem first grow
rogone

rogone

Did you LST? You can always tie down or scrog. Even XL strain should fit ,theres alot of space on the sides. Isnt that too much wind? 🤔

rendor11

rendor11

How far do you place a sgrog net above the plant? Is it the same for all Indica Hybrids or do you base it off how tall the plant would normally get? Does it matter if it's an Auto like this Short Ryder? Is there like a formula you use? Or do you just guesstimate and hope it goes good?

Moshmen

Moshmen

What's up everybody. I searched the forums for any posts about the "Low Ryder" or "Short Ryder" Strain before I posted this. The problem I have is sort of 2 fold you could say. I'm using an old school drip feed method of Hydroponics and my basement has a short ceiling (around 75" max) So I have my planter sitting around knee height with a reservoir underneath. I first started growing Northern Lights and White Widow, both photo-period and Auto-Flowering types of each. Topping the plants helped ALLOT! but I just kept running out of headroom.

So this time I searched for a short hybrid of Northern Lights and I found Low Ryder / Short Ryder. I wish I took pictures of the first 2-3 weeks because 1 problem I had was the seedlings toppled over and bent the stem in half 2 different times. Short Ryder is the "Auto" version of Low Ryder and the seedlings are very week at first. If they get too large too fast, OR stretch too much the seedlings can just topple over. From MY experience, once you hit week 3 and the stems are strong you're in good shape. You may never even have that issue with soil or if you actually know what you're doing LMAO. This is the first "Short" indoor plant I ever tried to grow.

So I'm almost ready to harvest my plant and all things considered I would call it a success. What's interesting about this Short Ryder strain is how thick the base of the stem is and how quickly it gets pencil thin! The thickness variation is extreme. It's almsot like you chopped the bottom 3rd out of a Northern Lights plant and glued the top part back onto the base. Also the white hairs are ridiculously long! Its like an 16 year olds first attempt at growing a beard or something with these long scraggly hairs everywhere.

I'm using a worn out 1200 watt LED which is past it's expiration date so I can keep it just 5 icnhes from the top of the plant. At least I didn't run out of headroom this time. The plant is 27" tall and I never topped it or used any netting to control the height. 18 hours of light per day. I feed it 3x a day for 20 minutes during the light hours only. General Hydroponics nutes.

PS. I can update this thread and show what my dry yields are if people are interested. So far I would definitely recommend this strain but obviously I need to smoke it first.

Low Ryder info Short Ryder info

I would love to know what kind of dried smokable weight it produces

rendor11

rendor11

I would love to know what kind of dried smokable weight it produces

I will absolutely let you know that! Not only that but I'm growing 1 plant with a cheap old worn out 1200 watt LED and another low ryder with a brand new 400 Watt MH/HPS with digital Ballast.

rendor11

rendor11

Did you LST? You can always tie down or scrog. Even XL strain should fit ,theres alot of space on the sides. Isnt that too much wind? 🤔

I'm actually growing another "Short Ryder" with a 400 Wat HPS light. I'm about 6 weeks into the grow. For the past week the plant has been growing 2" a day steadily. It went from 7.5" to 24" since the last Tuesday in November. As you can see I'm QUICKLY running out of headroom. I know all about DWC I just don't prefer it. I've tried growing in soil and it's not for me. For me it's either Ebb and Flow or Top Feeding with Drip nozzles. I'm too busy to check on my plants every day or feed them manually. Please don't suggest I make drastic changes.

So you mentioned a Scrog Net so I went ahead and hooked that up today. The plant is 24" tall and the net is about 22" tall. The top cola is peaking through. It's an AUTO so I didn't top the plant obviously. My question is how do I use this scrog net effectively? I've been keeping my HPS light 18-21" from the plant @400 watts. I got a 16" Hurricane fan on a home made stand blowing right at the top of the plant. There's also a 4" exhaust fan pulling air through a charcoal filter. Containing the smell is very important for me.

PS. QUESTION! If my plant runs out of headroom and the fan leafs on the top cola start to burn , should I set this digital ballast to 250 watts to compensate? Or should I try to tie the top cola down with the scrog net and twist ties? I've never tried that before. My "Scrog net" is a really thick and strong polymer material. If it's the wrong material I can change it real quick with real thin netting with 6" squares. I just don't know much about it. I knwo how it's intended to work but I'm a rookie.

Here are some photo's I took today.

100 1576
100 1577
100 1578
100 1579
rendor11

rendor11

Am I supposed to bend the stems/stalks and tie them down? The plant grew another 2" since yesterday. At this rate my "Short Ryder" will be over 34" tall. It wasn't supposed to get taller than 16" LMAO. That's why I hate HPS bulbs, you don't get this kind of absurd stretching with LED lights. I wish I had a 10' ceiling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom