Soil soaking with me oil

• Thread starter dread808
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dread808

dread808

I have read about mixture ratios for neem soil soaking and I was curious as to information on how much to water into my 45 gallon smart pots anyone have any ideas I have read that the mixture ratios are the same for spraying as for soaking but just not sure how much you put into my 45 gallon pots

the rrock

the rrock

Why would you want to put that oily stuff in your dirt? Is it for preventive maintenance?I used it once in 40+ years of growing for reasons i cant remember,and it was a mistake as there are so many better more efficient bug poison out there.

dread808

dread808

Why would you want to put that oily stuff in your dirt? Is it for preventive maintenance?I used it once in 40+ years of growing for reasons i cant remember,and it was a mistake as there are so many better more efficient bug poison out there.
There is info online about neem oil soil soaking

dread808

dread808

Most people use it as a foliar but there is a way to introduce it into your soil some experts say it's the best way to use neem oil the plant takes it up in its root system.
good to know,I will check it out
The biggest question I have in my particular world is how much to add into a 45 gallon smart pot I know what the mixture rates are but not how much to add to that amount of soil I need the application rate.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Most people use it as a foliar but there is a way to introduce it into your soil some experts say it's the best way to use neem oil the plant takes it up in its root system.

The biggest question I have in my particular world is how much to add into a 45 gallon smart pot I know what the mixture rates are but not how much to add to that amount of soil I need the application rate.

How much water do you give to soak the medium completely. Mix at the appropriate ratio for that amount. I’d go with neemazal or azaguard or neemazal technical tho (if you have the means of getting it).

Neemazal and azaguard is just neemazal technical diluted in vegetable oil. Neemazal technical is a water based solventless extraction of azadirachtin compounds from the neem seed. So its just like neem oil only you know the strength of the solution and no aflatoxin or any other impurities.

mancorn

mancorn

dread808, neem is great stuff and can be used throughout your grow. But if I use it in the soil (or in flower) I use the meal (as opposed to the oil) and just sprinkle into the soil or soak the meal in water for a few days and then use it as a drench (or filter and spray during veg).

Can't say as I've noticed the oil every showing a NPK designation, but I'd treat it like any other fertilizer and not go crazy with your drench amounts. My oil just says you can "also use it to water your plants", which would lead me to think you would just substitute your neem mixture for your normal water amount.
IMG 1413

Last edited:
dread808

dread808

How much water do you give to soak the medium completely. Mix at the appropriate ratio for that amount. I’d go with neemazal or azaguard or neemazal technical tho (if you have the means of getting it).

Neemazal and azaguard is just neemazal technical diluted in vegetable oil. Neemazal technical is a water based solventless extraction of azadirachtin compounds from the neem seed. So its just like neem oil only you know the strength of the solution and no aflatoxin or any other impurities.
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it

No problem. If you are fighting off an infestation, i went double the recomended amount for soil drench without any ill effects to the plants. There is only one research on the subject i could find on soil drenching with azadirachtin and this is the chart it includes about the dissipation of azadirachtin in soil.

CCFCF847 5D6E 4D69 897E FA35102BFA4F

This study used a wettable powder form of azadirachtin but the dissipation ratio can’t be much off.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Neem oil poisoning in India is fairly common as many use it medicinally. I understand from the available information when neem oil is added to soil the plant will take it up which will help protect the plant from insects, but do you really want to add it to cannabis? I sure don't. I only use it to control scales on citrus trees and powdery mildew on peas and cucumber leaves before fruit production. It has been found safe in the lower doses used for fruits and veggies but I still don't want to directly ingest the stuff and I certainly have no desire to smoke it. There are better options for spider mite control on weed.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Neem oil poisoning in India is fairly common as many use it medicinally. I understand from the available information when neem oil is added to soil the plant will take it up which will help protect the plant from insects, but do you really want to add it to cannabis? I sure don't. I only use it to control scales on citrus trees and powdery mildew on peas and cucumber leaves before fruit production. It has been found safe in the lower doses used for fruits and veggies but I still don't want to directly ingest the stuff and I certainly have no desire to smoke it. There are better options for spider mite control on weed.

Yes neem oil contains impurities and that causes poisoning. Other than that azadirachtin or other terpenoids in the neem seed are regarded as pretty safe by themselves. I don’t use neem oil and i don’t suggest it to people.

There are organic substitutes like NeemAzal or Azaguard. Now i don’t know which has what in it. I use NeemAzal and its a good product. The others may not be as effective or as pure as this one. Everybody needs to do their own research.

Also here is the chart from the same research i posted above. This one is about dissipation of azadirachtin in the plant tissue. The method is again soil drenching.

Edit; The plant is not cannabis by the way so this may not 100% apply to cannabis.

0E2DC477 DBB4 4D71 A5B7 7ADED93FCB57

Last edited:
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Yes neem oil contains impurities and that causes poisoning. Other than that azadirachtin or other terpenoids in the neem seed are regarded as pretty safe by themselves. I don’t use neem oil and i don’t suggest it to people.

There are organic substitutes like NeemAzal or Azaguard. Now i don’t know which has what in it. I use NeemAzal and its a good product. The others may not be as effective or as pure as this one. Need to do your own research.

Also here is the chart from the same research i posted above. This one is about dissipation of azadirachtin in the plant tissue. The method is again soil drenching.

View attachment 871277

Yes, seen the chart but also have done a lot of research. At this point it's not something I need to even worry about as I have no needs with my cannabis grow. Now come October and the all the cabbage moth larva I may think about it but I've been able to control most of the damage by physical removal in the past.

Here's some damage recently of a leaf on one of my plants. The offender is sleeping with the fishes, or in my case, with the snails and slugs. No real ill effects.

20190515 105540
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Yes, seen the chart but also have done a lot of research. At this point it's not something I need to even worry about as I have no needs with my cannabis grow. Now come October and the all the cabbage moth larva I may think about it but I've been able to control most of the damage by physical removal in the past.

Here's some damage recently of a leaf on one of my plants. The offender is sleeping with the fishes, or in my case, with the snails and slugs. No real ill effects.

Yeah sure. I’m a hobby grower and keep bonsai mothers. What spider mites on mothers? Come lets take a shower my pretties. Just keep it clean. Change the clothes. Don’t wear shoes in the house, go japanese. There is a very slim chance of getting infested if you do this stuff.

Outdoors tho, got big problem with aphids and all. Gonna give them a good dose of neemazal. Its just terpenoids. Like pyrethrin is very safe for humans but its very toxic for insects. Azadirachtin is perfectly safe also. Without the impurities neem seed too.

Anyway its a good weapon to have in your arsenal when the worst happens.

Seraphine

Seraphine

I’ve used a neem oil soil drench before. I think I used the recommended application on the bottle to one gallon of water. It will set you back a few weeks in growth. It stresses the plants and coats the roots in oil. Just make sure it’s absolutely necessary.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I’ve used a neem oil soil drench before. I think I used the recommended application on the bottle to one gallon of water. It will set you back a few weeks in growth. It stresses the plants and coats the roots in oil. Just make sure it’s absolutely necessary.

I've heard manure tea will help replenish the needed soil bacteria but yeah, I'd stay clear unless I had no choice. Keep the soil healthy and most plants will do well.

Top Bottom