Split level grow room possible?

• Thread starter Blaze187
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blaze187

Blaze187

Hello there first post here. Has anyone ever tried to build a split level grow space?. I'm thinking of building a wooden shelving unit with 2 air cooled lights (1 per level) with a shelf in the middle. approx footprint around 3.5ft x 3.5ft. 8 plants in soil pots with trays 4 per level total height around 7 ft.

My room is narrow with one opening at one end so getting to the back plants is a pita. Im Buying some air cooled lamps so while I'll be stripping old lamps out I'm wondering if there is a smarter way to use the space I have. I've had a look around and can't find any examples of what I'm considering doing. Is that because it won't work for an obvious reason that I can't see?

If anyone has tried this method would love to hear your experience before I blindly attempt it thanks

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

If you do hempy buckets with an automatic watering system you don't need to get to them as often.

Blaze187

Blaze187

Yes I've thought about using that kind of watering system. And you're right it would help me watering wise but I like being active in the garden doing lst etc and it's just really difficult when I have to climb over my plants to work on the ones at the back!..was thinking this split level idea would sort my problems as my plants would only be 4 deep. The only downside I can see is spilt water from the top shelf going onto the light unit below and obviously the height restraint by halving the height of my room. I tend to grow indicas so my plants are generally stumpy and short anyway so I'm thinking it could work?.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

You could do a double high dtw system with corrugated roofing and gutter kinda like what @Aqua Man has but with two sets of dtw and lights on top of each other.

Blaze187

Blaze187

I see... So its not impossible then?... I shall check aquaman set up thanks for the help 👍🏻

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

You'll probably have to flip them short and lst or hst.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Only problem I can see is the bottom light overheating the top.

Blaze187

Blaze187

Only problem I can see is the bottom light overheating the top.
I'm new to air cooled hoods but from what I've heard they run really cool if done correct and you can have them real close to the canapy?... New equipment for me so I haven't got a clue how hot they run?

Blaze187

Blaze187

Had a quick read through this last night trips rabbit... Corrugated floor is a great idea and one I may have to steel!

Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

Hello there first post here. Has anyone ever tried to build a split level grow space?. I'm thinking of building a wooden shelving unit with 2 air cooled lights (1 per level) with a shelf in the middle. approx footprint around 3.5ft x 3.5ft. 8 plants in soil pots with trays 4 per level total height around 7 ft.

My room is narrow with one opening at one end so getting to the back plants is a pita. Im Buying some air cooled lamps so while I'll be stripping old lamps out I'm wondering if there is a smarter way to use the space I have. I've had a look around and can't find any examples of what I'm considering doing. Is that because it won't work for an obvious reason that I can't see?

If anyone has tried this method would love to hear your experience before I blindly attempt it thanks

I've used a 4 tier seedling and clone shelving unit for years. No problem to flower on it just need higher gaps. Get some shelving from lowes and grow in some coco with automated timers.
It's being done around the country right now

Blaze187

Blaze187

So after speaking to @TripsRabbit I decided to fit a drain table that flows into a gutter that runs into a bucket. I went against a split level design as I thought I would be struggling for height. Instead I decided on building a raised platform to make life easier when working in the garden. As mentioned before I'm quite restricted space wise so I've gone a bit unconventional by having space at the back of the room for four plants in a square and then a single row of four in front of that which gives me pretty good access and saves me "climbing" over plants to get to the back of the room. I've always used 600w hps but I fancied a change and have bought a long light by Mars Hydro which should hopefully cover the four in a row and I'm waiting for another large square led for the 4 at the back. Only problem I've come across now is the fact that the led lights give off almost zero heat. The hps usually give off enough heat to keep the room around 26c...now I've got rid of those I'm thinking I'm going to have to run a heater which sort of eats away at the money I was going to save by going for the led's!

IMG 20210115 184045
Blaze187

Blaze187

Obviously I won't be using the trays under the pots they're just to show where the pots will be going 👍🏻

Top Bottom