Stem Splitting

• Thread starter Izzy1980
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TaimerPots

TaimerPots

I've done stem splitting, to get the best results do it the last 3 weeks so your plants won't start to seed from the stress but it does work.
I usually use skewers, cut them to like 2-4" in length keeping the pointed end and I just shove it through, using a knife can be over kill because it's too easy to split more stem than you intended. I just stap it through and this method still disturbs nutrient flow and causes the plant to become extra frosty which is a defence mechanism within the plant.
48 hours of total darkness the last couple of day brings out more essential oils and makes the plants more fragrant.
The only method I haven't had any results in would be cold water feeding the last few days

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Sorry the stem splitting is NOT going to increase trichrome production or potency according to every reliable source I have spoken/read. It doesn’t make sense when you look at real plant biology.

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

I believe it does a little bit when I've done it I do just the last couple days split the stem and don't water, I see a lot of people dont water for 48hrs before harvest I feel like stem splitting is the same it just restricts what the plant can uptake therefore stressing it into more trichome production. Just my theory and from doing it on some plants and not others i feel it has a slight effect on overall bag appeal unsure about potency

Ytransplant

Ytransplant

Has anyone seen or tried this method???, I first saw it watching a HUGE outdoor grow video and they do it just befire harvesting?

Wow...This is blast from the past (way past!)
My 1st indoor crop was 1979 under flourescent lighting using soiless mixes...QUICKLY caught on...Over the decades, l've seen and heard it all....I HAVE TRIED this 30 + yrs ago WITHOUT being able to quantify it in any way (yield, potency, trich production)...back in the 70ies, before I went indoor with hydro, there were some CRAZY myths about increasing resins....I remember one where entire plants were uprooted, root balls boiled for 5 sec then plants put into buckets of water for 3 more days before being hung to dry....Then there were those who believed resins FLOWED in the plants and hanging them upside down, WITH ROOT BALLS MAINLY INTACT, allowed maximum resin to FLOW to the buds....All that was really accomplished in either case was probably EXTENDING the drying time....
Point being, Every crazy stress inducing procedure has been tried, since way back BEFORE the inception of indoor hydro growing...THAT INCLUDES stem splitting...I have seen it in the 70ies on outdoor plants...NO HARM DONE, BUT NO REWARDS EITHER....Early stem splitting CAN possibly produce hermies...Before chemically induced male flowers, on female plants, STRESS procedures were used...VERY unreliable, but some figured it out to some degree...Doing it the last week is not about to cause hermie issues, but I assure you, nothing is gained...Genetics, grow parameters, and TLC is where your quality comes from....IN OVER 4 DECADES, I have still yet to have seen anyone quantify stem splitting as a legit potency increasing method......DONT YOU THINK this would have been proven by now as a legit method????....TOO SIMPLE of a side by side experiment to run....AND I'm sure many have run that experiment....Your not reading about it because NOBODY made it work.....Stick with quality genetics and FINE TUNE your growing skills...Happy growing...YT

Latest posts

Top Bottom