THC potency methods for testing at home

• Thread starter Dan789
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dan789

Dan789

So I've been growing for more than ten years and am now at a point where none of the testing apparatus that I've come across through this site and others haven't really born out their claims of testing and being able to show you how potent your herb is. Does anyone on this site have any information they'd like to share about testing in general and what /or if you've come across something that works reliably for home testing your MJ? Lately I'm come across someone discussing Thin layer Chromatography as a method to determine THC potency of any sample, or tincture. That is what I'd like to find out. Hoping that I get some response other than what I've been using which is the old tried and true method of smoking the herb to find out. I'm trying not to waste a few hundred dollars on these testing methods, as I've just heard back from a member that TLC doesn't work for THC potency testing, I'll protect that members thoughts as it was a private conversation. Thanks for your time and hopefully get a good conversation started on this subject.

H

hawkman

So I've been growing for more than ten years and am now at a point where none of the testing apparatus that I've come across through this site and others haven't really born out their claims of testing and being able to show you how potent your herb is. Does anyone on this site have any information they'd like to share about testing in general and what /or if you've come across something that works reliably for home testing your MJ? Lately I'm come across someone discussing Thin layer Chromatography as a method to determine THC potency of any sample, or tincture. That is what I'd like to find out. Hoping that I get some response other than what I've been using which is the old tried and true method of smoking the herb to find out. I'm trying not to waste a few hundred dollars on these testing methods, as I've just heard back from a member that TLC doesn't work for THC potency testing, I'll protect that members thoughts as it was a private conversation. Thanks for your time and hopefully get a good conversation started on this subject.
Know there are some companies that offer thc testing - just to add

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

TLC detects the presence of all the major cannabinoids and 1 terpene. It also separates THCa from THC - giving you a decarb meter to verify your process.

If you want to compare one strain to another, even a new tester can get directional information from TLC. Like this one has more CBD than that one.

With careful precision and proper preparation, TLC can give concentration numbers, although they are not dead on accurate. You would have to run multiple tests and average to get a better number due to inconsistencies with the user and the dot detection.

Software can help with the dot detection to take the user out of the equation. There are a few sites online where you upload a pic of your TLC and it calculates spot size.

I've got several videos and results of TLC on here somewhere.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Here is the final vid (5 of 5) of the TLC testing process start to finish.

At the end of the vid I show the software part of the deal.

If you are doing this at home, TLC is the only thing I can recommend. There are others like Purpl Pro, but I am not convinced the numbers it displays has anything to do with reality.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Gemma cert pro, spendy but does the trick.

10% +/- isn’t dead nuts, if your sample test say 30% then it could be between 27% and 33%
Are you selling them?

You can do 20 years of lab testing services for that price. I really don't see the niche for that device.

growsince79

growsince79

Yes, that’s the tried and mostly true method we all use for our seat of the pants testing…lol.
When you consume as much as me and everything is aver 20-25% its hard to say which is strongest. Imo lab tests are a waste of money. New cannabinoids are still being discovered. The highest thc content isn't necessarily the strongest plant. Best test is invite cousin Eddie & Catherine over to help sort things out.

Top Bottom