Too much oster and crab shell ?!

• Thread starter Growjay
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Growjay

Hello all !!! I'm new to this forrum but have been searching for answers with no luck. I had a helper who claimed he knew what he was doing helping me ammend my soil. He added a whole box of crab meal 5lbs and a whole box of crushed oster shell 5lbs. Well I questioned him and he said trust him .......... well I'm about 2 weeks into veg and the girls seem to be growing very slow compared to using synthetics. Anyways ph is at 7.2 my dechlorinated tap water reads 5.8 so I have been watering with great white, later encorporate the molasses. . Just watering with 5.8 de Chlor water will bring my ph levels right ? My question is will my oh levels normalize and go down or is my soil ruined by too much ca. What can I do to fix this . ?

Last edited:
G

Growjay

Had 8 cubic feet of soil 2 bags of perlite 50lbs of worm castings. Neem seed meal bat guano fish bone meal a little blood meal and kelp meal.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

first off did you let the soil cook?
the crab meal is chiton,good stuff along with that is oyster shell flour calcium good stuff,both combined is some bad days for bugs,it cut them to pieces
next you have soil you didnt say what it was,all you added is really good stuff on amends,your buddy has the right idea by the way
next your 2 weeks in veg why are you feeding the plant anything at all,if hungry water only there food is in the soil ,the slow growth is the plant trying to find bottom of plant,the great white should have been added as a inoculant to the seed when you planted,i might be wrong but isnt it mychoriza? why use it?,if anything at all stands out to me is the nitrogen you have stormed your pot with,just my opinion.
your buddy has fixed the soil with major game players to combat insects and plenty of calcium for tender days of finishing the plant,neem crab oyster all cutters for larvae and such ,the neem cake is providing nitrogen too,so dont bust a bubble yet ,as he said trust him
so that is out the way,i say dont do anything but water the plant for first month,keep humidity high,temp around 80 and let them girls veg.
last off and most important of all,DID YOU COOK THE SOIL FOR AT LEAST A MONTH?
hahahahhah you will be alright partner just have patience and it work its way out,i strongly believe your friend has your best interest to heart

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It takes a while for microbes in the soil to break down organic ferts and establish a decent colony if not set up to do so in the beginning . Synthetic nutrients are far more available to the plant until the soil builds up enough microbes. I'm guessing its just a waiting game at this point.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hello all !!! I'm new to this forrum but have been searching for answers with no luck. I had a helper who claimed he knew what he was doing helping me ammend my soil. He added a whole box of crab meal 5lbs and a whole box of crushed oster shell 5lbs. Well I questioned him and he said trust him .......... well I'm about 2 weeks into veg and the girls seem to be growing very slow compared to using synthetics. Anyways ph is at 7.2 my dechlorinated tap water reads 5.8 so I have been watering with great white, later encorporate the molasses. . Just watering with 5.8 de Chlor water will bring my ph levels right ? My question is will my oh levels normalize and go down or is my soil ruined by too much ca. What can I do to fix this . ?
The pH of tap water is usually above 7 so I'm curious how you're getting 5.8? Have you checked your meter recently or whatever you're using to test?

G

Growjay

first off did you let the soil cook?
the crab meal is chiton,good stuff along with that is oyster shell flour calcium good stuff,both combined is some bad days for bugs,it cut them to pieces
next you have soil you didnt say what it was,all you added is really good stuff on amends,your buddy has the right idea by the way
next your 2 weeks in veg why are you feeding the plant anything at all,if hungry water only there food is in the soil ,the slow growth is the plant trying to find bottom of plant,the great white should have been added as a inoculant to the seed when you planted,i might be wrong but isnt it mychoriza? why use it?,if anything at all stands out to me is the nitrogen you have stormed your pot with,just my opinion.
your buddy has fixed the soil with major game players to combat insects and plenty of calcium for tender days of finishing the plant,neem crab oyster all cutters for larvae and such ,the neem cake is providing nitrogen too,so dont bust a bubble yet ,as he said trust him
so that is out the way,i say dont do anything but water the plant for first month,keep humidity high,temp around 80 and let them girls veg.
last off and most important of all,DID YOU COOK THE SOIL FOR AT LEAST A MONTH?
hahahahhah you will be alright partner just have patience and it work its way out,i strongly believe your friend has your best interest to heart
sorry gentleman for the late reply . Ok I was told if I dont use tons of bone meal and blood meal that it wont cook and that "u don't need it to cook " there's plenty of available from all the goodies and that the microbes will eat and replenish more down the road. That's the whole reason I'm questioning everything now cause from reading it all points too a different method. I did sprinkle great white in the soil which was mg natures organic ( never used it before but everything else was bought up around me ) I know it's not the greatest so stuffed it with perlite for aeration. The soil sat in plastic barrels with lids for 3 weeks but never got hot ...
A few pics of the plants and I wish I could shake your hand for your time.

20190426 212933
20190426 212922
20190426 212949
20190426 212943
G

Growjay

The pH of tap water is usually above 7 so I'm curious how you're getting 5.8? Have you checked your meter recently or whatever you're using to test?
You were 100% right I rechecked using a brand new bluelab meter which I have never used before and didnt let it sit all the way. It shot up to 7.2 when I swirled it and let the prob sit in the cup. Thank you sir

G

Growjay

I also planted a cover crop of a mix of clover and a few other select seeds and I put a half pound of insect frass and 50 lbs of worm castings feather meal alfalfa and rock phosphate. Sorry for the lack of all the info. Those all were added in moderation.

Last edited:
Winter323

Winter323

Most experienced organic dudes look down on using perlite, as it kinda screws over the top of the soil where you want to have your cover crops, beneficial insects, mulch layer and the like. Really those are both slow release calcium so shouldnt be too much of a problem, but that is not to say that your soil mix wont have other problems. But just keep an eye on things and trying to go aggressive on low ppm foliars, focussing on kelp (rhizotonic) + worm castings, cal/mag and full spectrum nutes. If you keep at it with a good mulch layer, bugs, worms and the like your soil should be getting better each cycle. For future mixes look at going heavy on the rock dust, check out the mountainorganics website and instagram for help.

Top Bottom