UC experts?

• Thread starter TightBush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TightBush

Im very interested in the Under Current system and MPB's and i have read countless posts but i still have a couple questions.
#1 what is "peripheral negative pressure etc.....everyone spits out that phrase but can anyone really explain WHAT is actually is and why is better than positive displacement. (pushing water into the buckets instead of pulling it through)

#2 MPB's seem very easy to perform a complete flush because they are higher than the rez and buckets can be disconnected quickly and all the water could be washed through them completely and easily. Under Currents on the other hand seem to be a nightmare. With everything at the same level and the connecting pipes using UNISEALS and a few inches above the bottom of the bucket how can you perform a complete flush. Obviously alot of water, sediment, gunk etc would be left behind in the bottom of the buckets and the pipes. Also it seems like it would suck to try and take apart the system to remove a bucket for any reason. Can anyone who has the system explain these issues?

#3 Why do the PVC connecting pipes have to be so large? Other than the fact they need to be large enuff to handle the water flowing through them, Ive heard they are now up to 3" and thats more than enuff for the water to flow. Why couldn't the buckets be connected with 1" vinyl tubing or something equivalent.

#4 What are the dimensions of the 8gallon buckets, how far off the bottom of the bucket is the net pot
thanks in advance

RollinEndough

RollinEndough

IMO

1 - The pump acts as a vacuum, only having to push water a short distance to the epicenter. It's a sound technique that relieves the pump of excess stress.

2 - Don't put gunk in, you won't have to take any out. Sterile, straight up chemical nutrients such as DynaGro or Dutchmaster are best fit. Worst case scenario is having to throw in a chlorine tablet after harvest. You're right about not being able to remove all of the water, but I don't believe it to be a requirement.

3 - The bigger the better! Have you seen root balls in the UC? They can and do clog 3" conduit. You'll be putting in work removing root obstructions with vinyl tubing.

4 - 13"w x 15"l x 13"h if I remember correctly.

I'm sure others will chime in. I highly recommend the UC, the investment pays for itself with decreased work input and increased harvest output.

L

Lost

1. Most recirc systems use positive pressure, in other words, it pushes the nutes directly into each res. The uc simply puts a pump at the end and returns the nutes to the controller bucket to start their journey down the buckets. I like positive pressure myself, but negitive pressure works too.

2. Both are as easy/hard. You just need to put a system in place to drain and fill. Since you do i weekly, you might as well put in some thought. I actually have another pumps that fits on my feed line for my mpb and forceable sucks the water out of my reses, so its quick to do a change. Takes me 30-45 min to empty, fill and add nutes.

3. in the uc the drains get full of roots so you need something that will still flow 300-400 gph on each side even when the system is full of roots.

A UC system is something that you can ge the system up in running in an afternoon if you have everything you need. It takes me 3-4 days to build a 8-16 site MPB, and thats 8-10 hour days..

For 90% of the people out there the UC is the way to go. I have both up and running, so i have experience with both.

When I move to Oregon, ill probablly set up the MPB's because up there the plant limits are so tight, you need to pull every extra QP you can. Otherwise i's use the UC, its just so simple to use!

M

mcpuffin

Uh, exactly what they said. Hands down the easiest system I've ever run, plus no change outs...sweet!

M

mcpuffin

Well and good just stuck under this pile of dirt. I got somethin' in the brewin' though...

B

BavarianFarmer

Well and good just stuck under this pile of dirt. I got somethin' in the brewin' though...

You in the side of a mountain? Haha cause that's litterally what I'm trying to do. I've given my notice at work and paid my last months rent and I'll be back in Oregon with in a few weeks!

Oh and since we're asking questions about the UC. What is the best way to start out from seeds with the UC? Most start with clones it seems like, but with a small seedling from a seed that doesn't have a very big root mass, would it ever get any water in the UC not having any roots dangling into the water? All I see in all these UC threads is people starting out with prety decent size seedlings in there systems. But since I'm moving, I will have to start out with seeds again.
Thanks!!!

squarepusher

squarepusher

#1 likely so they can patent it and call it their own, gives them something "unique"

#3, the buckets are rather small, @ 8 gallons, so the roots will likely be flowing into other buckets and all over the place. hence why 3" pvc, although their previous models had 2" and worked for the most part.

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
You in the side of a mountain? Haha cause that's litterally what I'm trying to do. I've given my notice at work and paid my last months rent and I'll be back in Oregon with in a few weeks!

Oh and since we're asking questions about the UC. What is the best way to start out from seeds with the UC? Most start with clones it seems like, but with a small seedling from a seed that doesn't have a very big root mass, would it ever get any water in the UC not having any roots dangling into the water? All I see in all these UC threads is people starting out with prety decent size seedlings in there systems. But since I'm moving, I will have to start out with seeds again.
Thanks!!!
I just did some testing with this I started a seed in soil once it popped out of the ground and was 5 days old I carefully removed the plant from the soil run water to clean off the soil, Then I placed it in the turbo cloner and after 7 days I had full on roots blowin out of the plant, I then placed it in my Mother set up wich is an 8 site under current and the plant is 3 times the size of the seedlings that where started in soil, You could start the seedling in rock wool and skip the above but I hate Rock wool, And prefer to grow the seed out take clones and then grow them out...But what the hell do I know...JACK:thinking

B

budbrothers

I just did some testing with this I started a seed in soil once it popped out of the ground and was 5 days old I carefully removed the plant from the soil run water to clean off the soil, Then I placed it in the turbo cloner and after 7 days I had full on roots blowin out of the plant, I then placed it in my Mother set up wich is an 8 site under current and the plant is 3 times the size of the seedlings that where started in soil, You could start the seedling in rock wool and skip the above but I hate Rock wool, And prefer to grow the seed out take clones and then grow them out...But what the hell do I know...JACK:thinking

from what i can tell jack you know a hell of a lot. i have to say i agree with you on the rockwool. it sux.

great thread

B

BavarianFarmer

Awesome thanks!
So you have the water level high enough to where the netpots are submerged a little? Otherwise I dont know how the seedlings would get any water for the week or so until their roots are grown through the netpots and into the water. Thanks again!
Bavarian farmer

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
Awesome thanks!
So you have the water level high enough to where the netpots are submerged a little? Otherwise I dont know how the seedlings would get any water for the week or so until their roots are grown through the netpots and into the water. Thanks again!
Bavarian farmer

I have the water rite at the bottom of the net pot the bubbels cause the net pots to get splashed with water and the roots then go searching after the roots start coming out takes 3 to 5 days I then lower the water in inch or two below the net pot this causes the roots to explode...JACK :passingjoint:

B

BavarianFarmer

Sweet thanks! That sorts out a lot. I'm going to try roots excelerator out this time for sure also after seeing your root growth. Thanks
Bavarian Farmer

UClover

UClover

Bare root plants do transplant best into the system. If you are going to use rockwool, adjust the water level to just below the rockwool when transplanting into the UC. You may have to hand water for the first couple days but once the roots hit the water...blast off!

Top Bottom