When Topping results in 3 stalks

• Thread starter TMurr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TMurr

TMurr

So I topped my plant and left a small amount of stem above the node. She has split into 2 stems and now a 3rd is coming out of the old stem that was cut.

Do I cut that off or just leave it??

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

It doesn't much matter, either way. Sometimes people get what they refer to as "triploids," where the plant has 3 growing points per node. (They are not triploids, BTW, but that's what people seem to call them in Canna world.) In this case, you have what is probably a weaker branch coming out of the top, and the other two branches are more dominant.

If it looks like you'll get a nice bud or cola out of it, keep it, but don't sweat it, regardless.

TMurr

TMurr

Since we are talking about topping How long do you Wait in between toppings.

A set period of time of do I wait for 5 nodes again

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Topping is a way of reducing height and making a plant branch out. How much do you want it to branch out? How much headroom does it have? Would the plant branch out on its own, without topping, or is it more of a beanstalk?

You will NOT wait a set period of time, you will base it on space and the dimensions of that space. Don't get married to someone's personal rule on when to top.

TMurr

TMurr

Limited head-space so the wider the better. Is 16 branches reasonable or is 8 a better number

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Limited head-space so the wider the better. Is 16 branches reasonable or is 8 a better number
We're getting into some fine-tuning of your grow that I don't think anyone can help you with unless they were there, in person.

How long are the internodes? How fast is it growing? Is it a branchy strain or more of a single stalk? Are you squeamish about training your plants? How many plants in how big an area? What kind of stretch do you expect?

I would read up on low stress training (LST) and give that a try. Don't be afraid to experiment with it. Cannabis plants can stand a lot of physical abuse.

CF89

CF89

5 nodes between each top?? I topped at the 5th node. Then topped those next two shoots. Then topped those next 4. Then topped those 8 all in a row.

Top Bottom