I need someone to be honest about this drying....

• Thread starter bloodeye
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bloodeye

The reason I say honest is because this "snap test" is a load of nonsense.

My creme brulé came out the tent nearly 5 weeks ago. I dried for 2 weeks because I couldn't tell from this snap test wether they were dry, so I did a little experiment. I've kept all the branches and been drying them!
Now after nearly 5 weeks, they still don't snap. No branches have never "snapped". I'm now buying weed to test this and guess what, the branches and stems still FOLD on brought stuff.

Can someone give me an actual way to know when the cannabis is dry please?

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

Personally I use the small humidity gauges found on Amazon.
I hang branches and or wet trim and hang in one of those multi racks.
Once it a bit crisp on the outside it goes into brown paper bag .
I will fill it about 1/2 way toss a guage in there and roll it up.
Every 12hrs there about I would reach in that bag and usually it’s a damp mound of weed taking the squareness of the bag on.
It’s composting.
Turn over and perhaps put apart a bit.
Roll up and continue until I reach 65%
Then it’s into the grove bag with the gauge to keep an eye.
Do not want it going up at all, if so I might just open the bag for a few hours.

Have been drying my whole life in this manner, other than changing to the grove bags from jars.

Enjoy and good luck.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ Indica
Supporter

My creme brulé came out the tent nearly 5 weeks ago. I dried for 2 weeks because I couldn't tell from this snap test wether they were dry, so I did a little experiment. I've kept all the branches and been drying them!
Now after nearly 5 weeks, they still don't snap. No branches have never "snapped". I'm now buying weed to test this and guess what, the branches and stems still FOLD on brought stuff.

They definitely snap but they are shot when they do, you want outside of nug with a tiny crunch and inside bounces back when squeezed.
You can always just smoke it too

B

bloodeye

Personally I use the small humidity gauges found on Amazon.
I hang branches and or wet trim and hang in one of those multi racks.
Once it a bit crisp on the outside it goes into brown paper bag .
I will fill it about 1/2 way toss a guage in there and roll it up.
Every 12hrs there about I would reach in that bag and usually it’s a damp mound of weed taking the squareness of the bag on.
It’s composting.
Turn over and perhaps put apart a bit.
Roll up and continue until I reach 65%
Then it’s into the grove bag with the gauge to keep an eye.
Do not want it going up at all, if so I might just open the bag for a few hours.

Have been drying my whole life in this manner, other than changing to the grove bags from jars.

Enjoy and good luck.
Really appreciate that advice.

The thing is, I don't think my drying area could be much better. Bur my point is, this method that EVERYONE seems to say to do is utter nonsense.
If the stem in the video was dry, then the one currently drying was ready to go in jars within 48 hours of harvest, which is ludicrous!

What's the problem with over drying? If there's none then I'll just dry for 2 whole weeks. I'd rather not but there must be a way to know if they're dry, the guys retailing it and mass producing certainly can't be doing this "snap test". How do they gauge when it's dry enough.

Money isn't an issue for me, is there some sort of probe that would be better?

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ Indica
Supporter
Really appreciate that advice.

The thing is, I don't think my drying area could be much better. Bur my point is, this method that EVERYONE seems to say to do is utter nonsense.
If the stem in the video was dry, then the one currently drying was ready to go in jars within 48 hours of harvest, which is ludicrous!

What's the problem with over drying? If there's none then I'll just dry for 2 whole weeks. I'd rather not but there must be a way to know if they're dry, the guys retailing it and mass producing certainly can't be doing this "snap test". How do they gauge when it's dry enough.

Money isn't an issue for me, is there some sort of probe that would be better?
Most things people day about weed are nonsense, if you want some real info hang around the farm and find the better growers. You will get solid advice from them. Youtube is awful, reddit is awful, most spots suck to be honest✌

Pinkharpie18

Pinkharpie18

My first grow was not the smoothest but I think I nailed my dry/cure. I just hung the finished plants and kept it as cool as possible with between 58-62% for a month lol. With a smidgen of indirect air movement.
I figured the optimal storage parameters should work for the drying and curing, not just storing. It worked well for me. No hay smell, no mold, not too dry and crispy, and I could slow trim which was nice.
I'm on my second grow now and plan to do the exact same thing. I'm inexperienced and new to growing but that's what worked for me. Good luck!

B

bloodeye

My first grow was not the smoothest but I think I nailed my dry/cure. I just hung the finished plants and kept it as cool as possible with between 58-62% for a month lol. With a smidgen of indirect air movement.
I figured the optimal storage parameters should work for the drying and curing, not just storing. It worked well for me. No hay smell, no mold, not too dry and crispy, and I could slow trim which was nice.
I'm on my second grow now and plan to do the exact same thing. I'm inexperienced and new to growing but that's what worked for me. Good luck!
Thanks.

This is from my first grow and the second plant to come out. Gave this one 16 full weeks. Learned a lot in the grow and the second is going so much better.

The first plant went the grass smell way but I didn't have the dehumidifier in there.
This one hasn't had that smell at all and it's own smelly is coming out a lot more now, so hoping for a better smoke.

I'll give it a few more days I think. The outside is crisp and the insides of buds a bit sticky/wet still on some of the bigger buds.

B

Budtirement

I agree, branches don't snap after 2 weeks drying.
I wet trim buds and dry in the tent, light off, circulation fan off, ventilation fan on low. My tent is 70 degrees, 40% humidity. I usually get a hay/grassy smell for a while but it goes away. After 10 days I pull the buds off the branches and put in jars. At this point the buds are fairly dry on the outside but still plenty wet inside so I burp them every day and blow fresh air in there. After a few weeks they start to smell fresh and the terpenes take over.
I haven't used grove bags. I thought using plastic bags was detrimental because moisture can flow through plastic and buds can dry out, so I have avoided them. Anyway jars work just fine and TJ's Organic Marinara Sauce is delicious, has no added sugar, very low price and comes in a mason jar that holds 1 ounce of buds comfortably, so I save those for the purpose. Also, in my state I can legally carry 1 ounce on the street so the jar is a practical size if I want to take some to a friend.
People have been growing, drying and smoking cannabis for 10,000 years so we don't need rocket science to enjoy it.

Madbud

Madbud

Weigh a branch daily til it stops losing weight, then jar it. I’ve heard of using a wood probe for moisture content but this is what works for me
IMG 9753

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

i generally let mine hang for 5 to 7 days then i try it if it is dry enough to burn i go to a brown paper bags for a few more days then into my grove bags

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I don't bother with it.

We don't hang the plant upside down. We don't test for dryness. We've tried weighing the same buds every day till they stop changing weight. We've also pulled sample buds and put them in a jar with a hygrometer. Eventually, we decided waiting a week or more is just as good.

We cut the branches into 6-inch to 8-inch lengths and place them on drying racks in a drying tent. It has temperature and humidity controllers. There's a circulation fan on the inside and an exhaust fan at the top. The buds stay in the tent for 7 to 10 days. When they feel right, we put the buds in Grove bags and store them in a dark cabinet for 4 to 6 weeks. The Grove bags control the humidity well. We sample the bud occasionally and put it in amber-colored Mason jars for storage. We put one of those little hygrometers in each jar. This has worked well for us.

Also, IMO it's important to dry and cure the bud in the dark.

N

Natep

Snap test is bull shit. Keep it really simple try and be at 60% rh and 60degrees. Don’t hang for anything less than 14 days. f you can not get your temp that low leave more plant when you hang it more leaves longer stems. The closer you can get to those magic number the less leaf and stem you can hang. I personally hang entire plants with all water leaves. I can keep my humidity right at 60% but my temps get up to the mid 70s. After 14 days I put it in a trimmer bowl and into jars.

Top Bottom