READY? I think my trichomes are there but the bud isn't very DENSE!!!!

• Thread starter alpacino.com
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HomeGrownOhio

I've read about dark periods before harvest but never tried it. I just harvested, I was going to try it but talked myself out of it.

Why do you say no darkness?
It doesn't work. It was flawed reasoning that even brought that up. People swear by it, but flat out it doesn't work.

W

Wheezy420

Day 69 of flowering super silver haze. I think the trichomes look good - definitely amber ones coming. And I want to preserve some sativa effects from SSH. BUT the buds aren't hard at all. Very squishy. Any advice out there? thanks!

I am planning to water today. trim leaves off today. then tonight put into darkness for 36hrs. Then chop and hang. Does this track?
Nice plant brother!! Sativa dominant strains tend to be more airy Imo. Hot temps can cause this too. Potency will make up for it more than likely. And if you’re fixing to chop I’d skip that last watering. It’s just gonna prolong the drying process if done close to chop day.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Yeah would love to hear the thoughts. I’ve heard doing it helps frost it up because it knows it’s almost over. As a final defense. IDK. This is my first time so Im still learning a ton.
Not to be a Debbie downer but cannabis mostly grows in the light hours, especially trichome development, however trichome development takes a while so the dark period is kind of bro science, way too short to matter even if it did work. Dr Bruce bugby said if anything 36 hours of light would make more sense than the darkness. Unless... I think the origin of this was people with older lights that ran hotter and in that case it could probably preserve some terps from getting top hot and combusting off the plant, certain terps are volatile at low temps. Typically im not a huge lab science for plants guy except when it makes sense, because photosynthesis and the lights make a lot of sense to do in a lab IMHO✌️

A

alpacino.com

High temps, light stress, and insects can cause airy buds and prolong flowering times. Your plant is showing signs of suffering all thrice of the aforementioned stressors.
I see what looks like spider mites in a few of those pics along with some droppings.
Spider mites? Where do you see them?

7munkee

7munkee

Oh, she looks like another 3 weeks to ripen . 14 weeks for sativas to get dense. Good luck 🤞
Yup. Another week definitely wouldn't hurt. And you would be surprised how much weight she can pack on the last week.

A

alpacino.com

Yup. Another week definitely wouldn't hurt. And you would be surprised how much weight she can pack on the last week.
Awesome - appreciate the advice! I kept worrying about the amber I was seeing but I think it’s mainly on the leaves.

Sunasun

Sunasun

Spider mites? Where do you see them?
There's a couple of tracers in your first set of pics that looks like they might be mites and 2 black spots that may be poop. Or hopefully, it's just my shitty eyes and it's nothing.
I'm hoping option 2.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I've read about dark periods before harvest but never tried it. I just harvested, I was going to try it but talked myself out of it.

Why do you say no darkness?
Yeah would love to hear the thoughts. I’ve heard doing it helps frost it up because it knows it’s almost over. As a final defense. IDK. This is my first time so Im still learning a ton.

I had just recently watched this video with Dr. Bruce Bugbee has this to say about darkness before harvest:

Typically im not a huge lab science for plants guy except when it makes sense,
Good science should always make sense. It's important to filter out the bad science, and there's plenty of it. That's why reputable scientists publish their work for peer review and assurance that findings can be repeated.

PianoStan

PianoStan

I had just recently watched this video with Dr. Bruce Bugbee has this to say about darkness before harvest:

Good science should always make sense. It's important to filter out the bad science, and there's plenty of it. That's why reputable scientists publish their work for peer review and assurance that findings can be repeated.
When he suggests that "cold" and light could be used to preserve the terpenes, it wouldn't have to be near freezing. Terpenes begin to turn gaseous at around 70F. So, keeping plants around 60-65F (what I would consider a nice Fall day) would likely achieve that goal.

I have been scratching my head with this thread because I know that I read somewhere in my research on the plant that some people go full dark before harvest. But as I have been digging through my trusted sources, I haven't been able to find it again.

I'm not sure that I've ever read anything from Dr. Bugbee before, but I like the way he makes complex science easily understandable. Great video link!

Top Bottom