Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fear

Fear

Dude this wire chart is way over kill. There is hardly any voltage drop even at 200'. #4 for a 200' 20 amp run. Hahaha what a waist of time and money. Conduit has to be larger too. 1 1/2" for 100 amps which requires #2 copper. 200' you are safe to raise the wire size a single gauge for that distance.

Fear

Fear

Your HID lighting is the only thing i would oversize by one gauge if over 200'. Speaking as an electrical contractor and licensed Ca. Jorneyman.

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
What's up guys. So I have a spot that needs a 200amp panel swapped in. My buddy says it's already wired for 200 amps and all we need to do is replace the box. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

Last edited:
Fear

Fear

That looks like #1 aluminum thw wire in your 3 phase panel 100 amp panel. Using the middle, use the 75°C column in all gauging all wire sizes. Breakers are typically rated for 75°C max fyi. So your feeders right now are rated for 100amps. (ninth down/six over)

Ok so for 200 amps I recommend 3/0 copper. Or you can use 250 mcm al. wire. The copper wire will require a 2" conduit and the al. wire will require 2 1/2" conduit. Al. Suck and 2 1/2" parts typically can't be purchased at your local hardware store either. Also by the looks of the lugs the panel might only be rated for 100 amps maybe 125amps.

3 phase panel gives you ample room for proper electrical distribution at 100 amps. Ive ran +11k watts in lights, ac, fans, pumps etc on less than 100amps on a single phase panel. Hope that helps.

usstoner

usstoner

That's an old panel..looks like old rag wire...I'd upgrade...and what Fear said..

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Thanks fear, I really appreciate the info. I need at least 140 amps at this spot. I'm going to have my buddy who's a union electrician do all the work for me. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress!

Fear

Fear

Thanks fear, I really appreciate the info. I need at least 140 amps at this spot. I'm going to have my buddy who's a union electrician do all the work for me. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress!
unfortunately they don't have a 140 panel. 60, 100, 125 and 200 amps is what panels are rated for. So to get 140 amps you will still need a 200 amp panel you will just have to downsize the breAker to what you need. My advice would be to just install the full 2hun. 2" emt and copper wire size 3/0. This way you can handle any future expansion.

Peace

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Yeha I'm doing the 200 install. I was just saying I need at least 140 amps for what I'm running at this spot. Thanks again bro!

Fear

Fear

No problem man just being thourough for anyone else who might need to do the same. Later on

Cali clouds

Cali clouds

What's up guys, I'm looking at a spot with a 100a 3phase panel. I was hoping to get at least a 200a. Can the 3 phase be broken down to get more amps or is a 100a panel only good for 100a no matter what? Thanks

Natural

Natural

which type of 3 phase is it?
480/277v
208/120v
240/120v (high leg corner ground delta)

Cali clouds

Cali clouds

You just lost me lol I don't have a clue I'm guessing 240 but I could be wrong. I will ask the owner

Humboldt.Rio

Humboldt.Rio

Whatz up guys, need help with electrical. It's been awhile. I have 30amp breaker for 220 and a ground. So 3 wire. Two hot. One ground.

I have a 20amp 125v receptical. It has top and bottom with the bridge connected. I would like to use both.

I know brass side is hot, silver is ground. But since no neutral is being used. I just hook up one brass and one silver for each side using 110. Then ground.

Im just gonna run 3 600's so I'm well under 20 amps.

Is this all right?

Thanks in advance for the help.

X.rm

X.rm

Whatz up guys, need help with electrical. It's been awhile. I have 30amp breaker for 220 and a ground. So 3 wire. Two hot. One ground.

I have a 20amp 125v receptical. It has top and bottom with the bridge connected. I would like to use both.

I know brass side is hot, silver is ground. But since no neutral is being used. I just hook up one brass and one silver for each side using 110. Then ground.

Im just gonna run 3 600's so I'm well under 20 amps.

Is this all right?

Thanks in advance for the help.
You should be fine as far as amperage is concerned at 220v your amps are cut in half pretty much, at 220v three 600W your looking roughly at about 10 and a half amps. One thing you dont mention is wire gauge. If your using 220v make sure your extension cord is the apropriate gauge like a 10 gauge or so. You dont want them to overheat before the breaker does because it will pose a fire hazard. Best of luck.

Humboldt.Rio

Humboldt.Rio

You should be fine as far as amperage is concerned at 220v your amps are cut in half pretty much, at 220v three 600W your looking roughly at about 10 and a half amps. One thing you dont mention is wire gauge. If your using 220v make sure your extension cord is the apropriate gauge like a 10 gauge or so. You dont want them to overheat before the breaker does because it will pose a fire hazard. Best of luck.
Its either 6 or 8

Cheers

Top Bottom