24hr veg vs. 18/6 what do you do and why?

• Thread starter deep buddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Autos- one mans trash is another mans income. Sorry I brought it up. Didn't mean to mix paints on ya, buddy. I took a hit, my growing schedule went to shit and, although I've never grown autos before, they seemed like a good solution to help get me get back up to speed for the short term. Jeezuz Christ! There's some other people here who have as much leather on them as you do, maybe more. If you're always this touchy, I'll remember to stay out of your threads. Shit!

Originally Posted by paulycali
viewpost.gif

I go from 24/0 veg and then flip the switch to 13/11 when i am ready to flower. During the last two weeks of flowering i drop it down to 12/12 for ripening. So that extra hour they get each day for sure increases yield and when i change to 12/12 i believe that increases resin production
That's where I'm going next. The plants that I flipped @ 14/10 showed the growth surge. What brought my attention to my mistake, (ie 14/10 instead of 13/11 was the unusually slow finish of mature plants- 1 hermied- found two flowers hidden inside a bud. This leads me to believe that 13/11 might be the sweet spot for the indica dom strains I was/will be growing- giving away some time to gain size/structure in pre-early flower, kicking it into 12/12 to finish.

kushluvr

kushluvr

If somebody has some scientific evidence that plants grow faster in veg at 24/0 than 20/4, I'd like to see it. Based on my experience I haven't noticed much of a difference and usually veg 24/7 in winter more so I won't have to run heat than the increased growth.

I agree with this guy.........theres no diffrence between 24/7 and 18/6....NONE.........

prove it if there is a difference!

yeah your bill!

kushluvr

kushluvr

Autos- one mans trash is another mans income. Sorry I brought it up. Didn't mean to mix paints on ya, buddy. I took a hit, my growing schedule went to shit and, although I've never grown autos before, they seemed like a good solution to help get me get back up to speed for the short term. Jeezuz Christ! There's some other people here who have as much leather on them as you do, maybe more. If you're always this touchy, I'll remember to stay out of your threads. Shit!

That's where I'm going next. The plants that I flipped @ 14/10 showed the growth surge. What brought my attention to my mistake, (ie 14/10 instead of 13/11 was the unusually slow finish of mature plants- 1 hermied- found two flowers hidden inside a bud. This leads me to believe that 13/11 might be the sweet spot for the indica dom strains I was/will be growing- giving away some time to gain size/structure in pre-early flower, kicking it into 12/12 to finish.

huh? What have you been smokin bro?

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I agree with this guy.........theres no diffrence between 24/7 and 18/6....NONE.........

prove it if there is a difference!

yeah your bill!
Good one.
Here's some chop-logic back atcha'. Prove that there isn't a difference. A reasonably safe assumption about either extreme would be great. Living proof? woohoo! the bomb. I checked in to see if anybody had any answers or insights on the deal, not to compare wangs.

You want to know what I'm skokin'. Hmm... Saw a bitchin' band doin a number on hillbilly blues this afternoon- am still feeling the effects of the old school Hawaiian/Thai that I was hillbilly-rockin' to, just took a couple of pulls off of an uplifting LR Maroc x PPunch before I got here. I'm feeling pretty good, ATM, thanks for asking, i think.

Was it this thread? ie Why flip to a a shorter night, ie 13/11, or 14/10 for a couple/few weeks when you could be gaining the extra daylight in a @ 24/0 veg environment? Seems topical, anyways. Adolescent hormones would be my answer, can u dig it?

My last post. Paragraph 1 wouldn't be there if, a) I'd been walking on egg shells when I got here b) my shit hadn't gotten jumped on. Paragraph 2 was reax to earlier discussion...and what you been smokin' lately, kushlvr?

M

MTM

My plants and mothers are healthier under 18/6,plants need darkness guys,Ive had mothers on 24 for 2 years and changed to 18 and my moms were so much better looking and happy.As far as preflowers,what the fuck?I like preflowers and they have never bothered me at all....

deep buddy

deep buddy

no its just my opinion i have run them i just dont like them for me. my threads
are a place to learn and express opinions as none of are scientists and unless you have a true sealed lab style clean room you cant really be scientific about anything just educated guess's. i much prefer regular genetics and their ability to express a magnitude of expressions. thats my interest taking my expertise to the top. so no hard feelings bro k?

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Dien't read the whole post- went back to the H Afg x Thai. ie what am i doing here? lol read the first sentence[ rest tomorrow- and respect your thread parameters. didn't catch that angle. I have better understanding now. Peace to u and 2 the community.

audius

audius

i ran 24/0, &18/6. the only difference i can see is in my electric bill.

P

paulycali

I just got a tattoo today. Check it out! It says:

24 HOUR VEG 4 LIFE

LOL! :hi

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Ladies lovin' it. That's what I like to hear.
Was trying to remember why I went from the 18/6 or the 20/4 that I had run w/ previously, to the 24/0 that I'm running w/ now.

re: I'd been running a 24/0 nursery for clone/seedlings before transferring to separate veg room @ 18/6 (or experimenting w/ 20/4.) I needed the nursery space for males, expanded the veg room and moved all vegging plants in together.

why did I choose 24/0 instead of 18/6? My belief, which is founded more on eyeball than empirical evidence, is that the youngsters do, indeed, prosper under a couple of weeks of 24/0 during the first 2-3 weeks? I don't know if that's because they're doing most of their work underground during that period and can work full time @ root development, but that's my best guess. The older vegging plants are getting the same treatment that the little guys/girls get and have just been along for the 24/0 ride.

Any thoughts on this compromise, (that haven't been shared, yet)? ie 24/0 first 2-3 weeks, 18/6 up to flwr? Anyone else seeing faster root development under the 24/0? I understand that 24/0 would be an unnatural state for most plants other than for short periods @ extemely high/low latitudes, however, much of what we do in indoor growing lies outside the bounds of what one would find in nature, (ie continuous 18/6 or 12/12- outside equator zone) and we've got a pretty adaptive species that we're dealing with.

I suspect that somewhere in the gray and cloudy areas of the photo periods and how they are translated to growth stages indoors, lies some optimum sweet spots that have yet to be codified. (OK, OK. I think, at least, the thread starter knows what that meant. Maybe someone could break it down for me. ;-)) Lets keep this thing movin'

C

claudacio

I have been a little stressed as to which light schedule to run my plants under, a good friend of mine that has helped me through most of the hard parts of being a newb grower believes that the plants need a dark period to "rest" (???). I dont know but for my current grow that I just started 2-3 weeks ago, I am running 24/0 and will be doing so for most of the grow but I kinda agree with GanjaGardener that maybe running them in 18/6 for say weeks 4 and up in veg to get them ready for the big flip.

The other differences I have read, I kinda though that this was what happened with my last grow but I couldnt follow it up in anyway but at some point during this grow as its going to go on for awhile, I will try and see if its true but I've read in quite a few places that 24/0 keeps the plants short and bushy, the more dark period you give the girls the taller they get. Kinda makes sense, look how they stretch when the light is too far away in veg., I'd imagine when the lights are off completely they are really going to reach for the sky.

Honestly I really dont see any reason to do one or the other aside from your own preference. It does make sense that the plants are going to grow more under continuous light, but what I am more curious about is the dark period during flowering. I am more interested in what happens when you start changing that photo period but I have some time before I can play with that.

C

Canvas

I veg for 24/0 and flower 13/11 then down to 12/12. Plants grow faster in veg at 24/0 which allows for a quicker cycle. For ex. why veg for 1 month under 18/6 when you can veg for 2 weeks under 24/0?

Because I am growing from seed, and have a short tent!

Your point is perfectly valid for clones, or those who want a big plant right now.

As I grow from seed, they need to mature before they can flower, and it helps to have them be just a tad smaller, furthermore, when the seedlings are that small, extra light does not do them nearly as much good as extra time.

So I really got stretch under control with my last seed grow of Flo, vegging 15 hrs for the first 3 weeks, then down by one hour per week to 12/12, then down one hour every 2 weeks to 9 hrs, untill flowering is done. Yield is not adversely affected with this method, other factors matter much more. Basically, I set my lamp as if I were growing in Santa Cruz.

Next experiment is to extend the period of 13/11, and get the branches to really bud out before plunging into full flower.

Peace!

deep buddy

deep buddy

planning on trying both at this point. my main concern with this exp is root development.if i can get the same results w/ 18/6 its a no brain er. i am plagued with low ceilings but i like big ass root balls. and i dont have the time for long veg. i went one week a 24/0 then 3 or 4 days 18/6 then flip. we will see how it goes.

O

OneRedCup

20/4 works best for me.

Based on my own, non-scientific experiments, plants need some darkness. My plants grown under 18/6 have better roots than 24/0. But 18/6 also induces preflowers in some strains. So my choice has been 20/4.

I remember reading a side by side comparison on another site that showed 20/4 being slightly better than 24/0 and significantly better than 18/6 for growth. I cannot find it right now and am not sure I can link to it if I do. I will keep searching.

S

SOGreenThumb

20/4 works best for me.

Based on my own, non-scientific experiments, plants need some darkness. My plants grown under 18/6 have better roots than 24/0. But 18/6 also induces preflowers in some strains. So my choice has been 20/4.

I remember reading a side by side comparison on another site that showed 20/4 being slightly better than 24/0 and significantly better than 18/6 for growth. I cannot find it right now and am not sure I can link to it if I do. I will keep searching.

i agree with that. they do need some darkness.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

It seems to me that darkness vs non-darkness is a key issue. don't know if there's any (nor have I run across any) science on the subject, particularly as applied to annuals. Other than 24/0 for first 2-3 weeks w/ cuts, where I have seen at least an inkling of difference in root mass- sometimes more, I'm a bit soft on the issue because the lines between 24/0, 20/4, and 18/6 have been fine, at least, from this observers perch. I do sense that my plants @ 24/0 that get backed up in veg and go longer than normal seem to get tired and slow down some relative to earlier growth, but I grow coir based and that could be attributed to feeding. Tough nut to crack if yer still a bit up in the air w/ it like me.

I have seen some dramatic differences w/ diff photo periods-stages-strains over in flower... and its an easier nut to crack over there too.

deacon1503

deacon1503

D Squirrel mentioned the Krebs Cycle when referring to why plants need dark. Any biologists here?

I

ibTheMan

i got an Bomb ass OG#18, that thing will bud(not preflower) on 18/6.
Trust me if heat aint an issue 24 on is best, 22/2 at least. but do what u want.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

D Squirrel mentioned the Krebs Cycle when referring to why plants need dark. Any biologists here?
I went to "AskABiologist" to see if there was an answer available.

Not certain that I've got the right tiger by the tail, but am exploring another cycle:

http://rpi.edu/dept/bcbp/molbiochem/MBWeb/mb2/part1/dark.htm
The
Calvin Cycle, earlier designated the photosynthetic "dark reactions"carbon reactions pathway. In this pathway, the free energy of cleavage of ~P bonds of ATP, and reducing power of NADPH, are used to fix and reduce CO2 to form carbohydrate. Enzymes and intermediates of the Calvin Cycle are located in the chloroplast stroma, a compartment somewhat analogous to the pathway, is now referred to as the mitochondrial matrix.

Wikipedia: Despite its name, (dark dependent reactions) this process occurs only when light is available. Plants do not carry out the Calvin cyclesucrose into the phloem from their starch
by night. They, instead, release reserves. This process happens when light is available independent of the kind of photosynthesis
^^This is some dense stuff but seems more promising than this sampling I picked up while googling non mmj gardening sites (not necessarily my opinions but true or false, could be of help):

1) During the dark period a plant releases more CO2 and burns more oxygen and vice versa during light cycle.
2) Plants w/ less light will stretch more. Ed note: not sure to what degree this applies to/effects plants under controlled veg pps
3) I don't really know the answer, other than to say that I believe veggies grow good in Alaska in the summertime.
4)My Swedish cousin brags on her quickly matured leeks and potatoes getting all their sun (and same number hours sunshine) in many fewer days than in Southern climes.
5)I have been raising my own vegetable plants for several years and leave the lights on 24/7. The example of areas with 24 hr daylight grow humungus cabbages etc.
6)I believe perennials are more sensitive to day length than are annuals.

Top Bottom