24hr veg vs. 18/6 what do you do and why?

• Thread starter deep buddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Howdy. A little more down low.
- My digi cam took a recent dump and due to the aforementioned 3 months of dark, i don't have the disposable income to purchase the new one that I've got my sights set on. However, my son has an extra one and will send it to me in 2 weeks when he returns from So. America.
- Took me 2 months to straighten things out w/ the landlord at my grow site. I had to stay dark and camouflage my "back operation", (I run another business from space which comes in handy), because different sets of workers were in and out of the space doing major building repairs/maintenance, (ie re-plumb, painting, roof etc) on our building.
(industrial park) which means:
1) It'll take me a few days to put the rooms back together.
2) I won't have any pics until the beginning of Sept.

The good news- (couldn't have planned it out better)
had no idea that i would be doing a side by side test of 24/0, 18/6 pps, when i came to this thread, but sometimes things just line up right and when they do, might as well go w/ the flow.

In the fortuitous dept.- the T-5 units are new, I have 2 new 450w MH's to run and I needed to replace 2 600w HPS anyways, so one potential variable can be crossed off the list.

If I can keep it short, sweet and simple, I'll post here. If I start getting involved, I'll move. Have no intention of hijacking/making long, detailed posts in op's threads.

Tester talks about Botritis being used as a crop sweetener in grapes. He wants to try it with cannabis. Can you take some pics?
I confirm what Tester has said. However... although it does have positive uses in the vineyards, botritis is the most common form of bud rot in these parts.

T

theTinker

If your go'n to shut off the lights for any time i would do 20 on 4 off, at 18/6 plants seem to preflower ah little bit and that sucks, most of the time i run str8 24 on works best, but i summer i shut the lights off between 5:00pm and 9:00pm.
IMO str8 24 works best if you have no heat problems.

A few posts like this have inclined me to ask.

What are pre flower issues? and why are they bad?

I grow from clones. I always use 18/6 and have them 2 tiny little hairs on my ladies nodes etc. Are these bad? Is this causing stretching or something?

If i grow at 20/4, should this reduce this effect and give me some benefit?(besides extra light energy).

Thanks.

tT

N

Noodlz

Has anyone tried this, 12/1 light cycle for veg?
Apperently works amazingly, and saves you 5 hrs a day in energy instantly, not to mention equipment usage as well.
So I hear it is 12 hrs on, 5.5 off, 1 hr on and then 5.5 off, repeat.
The extra hour is meant to trick the plants into staying in veg. Also they say it's more natural since no plant outdoors recives 18 hrs of light anywhere, and cannabis is, obviously, an outdoor plant.
I don't know, I have yet to try it, but look it up. There's a lot of info on it out there to be read.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I'm open to running the side by side w/ any pp's. However, I only have 2 rooms to run veg cycles in and, if not for my immediate circumstances, am normally only running w/ one. It's also not tmy norm to start runs w/ all new bulbs. Am open to suggestions. ie 20/4 instead of 18.6? a 12/1 instead of 24/0? what would the consensus of those who are interested be?

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

24/0 and 18/6 will provide you with the best data if testing is your goal.

However i like 19-20/4-5 for results.

Remember the test isn't over until the cure is finished. Don't prematurely conclude anything.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

24/0 and 18/6 will provide you with the best data if testing is your goal.

However i like 19-20/4-5 for results.

Remember the test isn't over until the cure is finished. Don't prematurely conclude anything.
I came to this thread like an an open book, I remain an open book w/o an agenda or any predisposition or suppositions. But your 19-20/4-5 for results sounds too good to pass up. Maybe split the dif 19/5 or 20/4 next to 24/0 might be the ticket. 20/4 next to the 12/1 cycle that Noodlz is talkin' sounds the most interesting to me, ATM. I'm curious to see comparisons of interesting cycles that I haven't tried. That's how it's beginning to shake down. Not so interested in trying to end the 18/6 <-> 24/0 debate, nor am I so vain as to think I'm set up to do so nor do I think that I could settle the debate even if I had the gold standard set-up. Maybe believing in what you do is more than half the battle, regardless of efficacy.

T

T1420

damn bro, aint heard shishkeberry in a while, back in 97 got my hands on some spice of life shishkeberry beans.. woo hoo some of the tastiest/stoniest weed I ever grew, and I've run hundreds of strains. When/where did you get yours... been lookin for years to replace it but aint found nothin close.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I'm gonna do a side-side w/ diff veg pp's. will bust a thread when things get going. Later. Peace. GG

G

gessgess

Ive ran 18/6, 20/4 and 24hr, but havent noticed anywhere near enough difference to make up for the extra power and heat. maybe a lil faster growth, but if you got a good line and clean rooms, growth time isnt an issue. actualy, in my case, quite the opposite.

deep buddy

deep buddy

Howdy. A little more down low.
- My digi cam took a recent dump and due to the aforementioned 3 months of dark, i don't have the disposable income to purchase the new one that I've got my sights set on. However, my son has an extra one and will send it to me in 2 weeks when he returns from So. America.
- Took me 2 months to straighten things out w/ the landlord at my grow site. I had to stay dark and camouflage my "back operation", (I run another business from space which comes in handy), because different sets of workers were in and out of the space doing major building repairs/maintenance, (ie re-plumb, painting, roof etc) on our building.
(industrial park) which means:
1) It'll take me a few days to put the rooms back together.
2) I won't have any pics until the beginning of Sept.

The good news- (couldn't have planned it out better)
had no idea that i would be doing a side by side test of 24/0, 18/6 pps, when i came to this thread, but sometimes things just line up right and when they do, might as well go w/ the flow.

In the fortuitous dept.- the T-5 units are new, I have 2 new 450w MH's to run and I needed to replace 2 600w HPS anyways, so one potential variable can be crossed off the list.

If I can keep it short, sweet and simple, I'll post here. If I start getting involved, I'll move. Have no intention of hijacking/making long, detailed posts in op's threads.

I confirm what Tester has said. However... although it does have positive uses in the vineyards, botritis is the most common form of bud rot in these parts.
this is your thread as well bro feel free to post here and make a thread. if you make a thread just pm me so i can sub.
Has anyone tried this, 12/1 light cycle for veg?
Apperently works amazingly, and saves you 5 hrs a day in energy instantly, not to mention equipment usage as well.
So I hear it is 12 hrs on, 5.5 off, 1 hr on and then 5.5 off, repeat.
The extra hour is meant to trick the plants into staying in veg. Also they say it's more natural since no plant outdoors recives 18 hrs of light anywhere, and cannabis is, obviously, an outdoor plant.
I don't know, I have yet to try it, but look it up. There's a lot of info on it out there to be read.
i have seen this and the research for this. it is true just a lil to much thinking for me right now. my ladies a re keeping me busssyyyy.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

db- ditto on both ^^. am currently cleaning, re-wrapping part of my rooms in panda, flushing coco bales, (a cost conscious experiment- never again will i purchase baled coco) and a dozen other things that are pushing my start time back. which reminds me...

ttystikk

ttystikk

My two cents; and probably isn't worth much more than that, is that I have had the best results with 24/0 in clone room and early veg, then switched to 18/6 in last 2-3 weeks before bloom. I ran several veg stages because I wanted my plants to get a specific shape and size, and I think that made a difference. Another big difference is strains; the indicas are a little more sensitive to the 18/6 than the sativas in my experience, which resulted in them really popping into bloom when introduced to the 12/12 cycle.

Sooo... two things going on here; plant size being one, and strain being the other. I've never run sea of green or flipped plants that only had a week or two of veg on them, so I can't speak to that approach. In the same vein, my style seems to get along with indicas better than sativas, so maybe there are other variables I didn't notice that may be involved.

los0420

los0420

i know this much mj grows the biggest outdoors and produces the biggest yields outdoors and there is no 24 hr light in nature everything need to get some sleep in my opinion
i think plants look better and healthier when they get aleast 4 hrs darkness in veg

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I'm not contradicting you los0420, in fact, I tend to agree w/ you and have landed on, and am running, 20/4, but in all fairness, there are other factors that distinguish outdoor and indoor results.

Speaking of which. Wasn't able to run side by side as planned. I've got the engines revved up again and can't maximize my grow room w/ current strain line up and run tests too. Bit off more than I could chew w/ that idea. Not to say I won't get back to it... just not now- my bank account balance is taking precedence, ATM. :thinking

F

FastForward

oldtimer1 looked into this, and the bottom line is that root growth was best at 20/4 for vegging (in a side by side experiment).

Personally I just go 24/0 because it's easy and the plants are all happy.

Also, someone said autos do best under 24/0 - not so - they do best under 20/4.

FF

Latest posts

Top Bottom