Air Cool Cmh Bulbs?

• Thread starter heisen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

heisen

Im trying to research this and cannot get a straight answer.I just ordered 2 CMH ballast and the Philips MasterColour CMH Elite 315W Lamp T12 - 3100ºK bulb.The guy who did my order said you cannot air cool them.I keep getting conflicting answers doing searches.I read its only the double jacket you can air cool.It doesnt matter if i cant because i have the Air Cond to cool but still it would be nice to displace the heat.The air im using is already going through a 600W HPS so its not super cold air.
I had an old air cooled hood i want to use with this CMH setup and ill get one more hood to run right next to it over a 60x 45 inch scrog.Im not a lighting expert so figured someone would have a good answer

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Im trying to research this and cannot get a straight answer.I just ordered 2 CMH ballast and the Philips MasterColour CMH Elite 315W Lamp T12 - 3100ºK bulb.The guy who did my order said you cannot air cool them.I keep getting conflicting answers doing searches.I read its only the double jacket you can air cool.It doesnt matter if i cant because i have the Air Cond to cool but still it would be nice to displace the heat.The air im using is already going through a 600W HPS so its not super cold air.
I had an old air cooled hood i want to use with this CMH setup and ill get one more hood to run right next to it over a 60x 45 inch scrog.Im not a lighting expert so figured someone would have a good answer
Glass reflects all the good low nanometers... which you dont want at all.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Never used cmh but I read that if they are used with air cooled hoods it changes the light color because it lowers the temp of the bulb and also may shorten bulb life.

Everything I read said that cmh bulbs were meant to be used in non air cooled hoods or open air and you should have an auto fire extinguisher nearby because if they explode its a much more violent explosion than a regular bulb and people have caught their grow rooms on fire.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I stopped researching them when I read about the explosions

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Glass reflects all the good low nanometers... which you dont want at all.
Your hydro guy is an idiot. Here's why. Philips makes 2 types of bulbs. A t9 and a t12. One is made specifically for open enclosure, one for enclosed. I run 7x 315 all in air cooled hoods.
So if glass reflects all the good stuff using air cooled hoods with them makes them more inefficient?

420Artie

420Artie

I also ordered a cmh ballast and Phillips 3100 bulb and plan on using the bulb in a air cooled melon head knock off light fixture.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Apparently that was a serious phillips problem
I was reading that the explosions were so violent that people who use them were hanging automatic fire extinguishers in their grow rooms, I sleep right over top of mine so I went with cree LeD instead.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
When the bulb blew was it like an electrical explosion or does the ceramic explode?
What makes the explosion worse than a mh blowing out?

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

From .what I remember, he was in the room when it happened and nearly set his floor.on fire. It's been discussed in detail.in the cmh thread over at IC. I don't remember the specifics, and dont want to misquote any more.

H

heisen

so is the t12 ok to put in an air cooled fixture?
I think the explosians were from people putting the 630's in hoods and hooking them up to 1000w digital ballast.and putting 315's in 600W ditals

It has to be a square wave ballast.
I have been researching these things for a while.read a 60 page thread but all the threads are always hijacked and converted to Leds vs and blah.ill research some more to see

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

T12 would be for open hood or bare bulb
T9 would be for enclosed hoods

See the difference in the 2 bulbs? One has the actual bulb enclosed in a separate glass jacket/bulb. In case of explosion, the bulb bits only go as far as the outer jacket/bulb.

20170517 203256
20170517 203445

H

heisen

but would it still be ok to run the t12 in an enclosed "air cooled" hood.this is where i keep getting to a road block that no one seems to know.If i want to run a CMH bulb in an air cooled hood which bulb do i need and would i lose more light than its worth or would it be better to just run them in an open hood and not worry about the heat

420Artie

420Artie

@DemonTrich I just received my 315 ballast and bulb conversion kit and it's a t12 bulb can you still use it in a air cooled hood? the bulb was damaged in shipping so I can ask for a t9 warranty exchange.

H

heisen

@DemonTrich I just received my 315 ballast and bulb conversion kit and it's a t12 bulb can you still use it in a air cooled hood? the bulb was damaged in shipping so I can ask for a t9 warranty exchange.
ahh yes the magical question.Im still searching on google without any results.Let me know what you find.There are very few options or info out there on the actual use.Lots of opinions on whats better or worse though

420Artie

420Artie

I just got off the phone with growers house and they don't have a t9 bummer but the staff I spoke with said the t12 will work in a air cooled hood. I know with the extra glass I won't get the full benefits of the light spectrum. Time to dig around my shed for my old none vented old school 600 watt hoods.

Top Bottom