Bizarre plant mutation...mosaic virus or...??

• Thread starter mastagrowa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mastagrowa

mastagrowa

Photo 4jpg
Bizarre plant mutationmosaic virus or 2
Bizarre plant mutationmosaic virus or 3
Photo 1jpg
Photo 2jpg
Photo 3jpg

Howdy all.

I have had this ongoing problem in my veggers for about a year now and it seems to be spreading to my other strains.

From new clones, everything grows OK until the first transplant into medium pots. Then, the stems go purple and the tops start twisting and mutating and the plants basically stop growing. The roots remain healthy-looking and the plants won't die, they just don't grow until about a month plus then they start popping new shoots up.

It's as if they were already in 12/12 then the light cycle was changed back to 18/6 and they're trying to re-veg.

Once I put them into flower they seem to bounce back although some of the wierd twisted/mutated leaves will remain on the lower stems.

I have tried everything and I'm totally stumped. Flushing, spraying (no broad mites or other visible pests, even with a 300x scope), foliars, you name it. It only seems to affect certain strains. I'm thinkin it might be a virus, as I have signs of tobacco mosaic virus (i.e. mottled leafs and sideways twisting) on some other strains. It all started when I brought in some dirty clones from a local bank (thenursery.us ...avoid these people!! :( )

[Specs: Coco, House n Garden nutes plus compost tea, DTW]

Thanks much for any help.....

Swell

Swell

I would dump the moms and get new ones. From seed at that.
In my experience after a mom has been had a rough cloning session or three, the genetics can and do get weird. I personally like to keep 'fresh' mothers around, that haven't been hacked on and aren't over 6 months old.

If you take too many cuts off a mother without ample time for it heal and grow again, it stresses the hell out of the plant and reduce its vigor.

I agree with you that they look as though they've been revegged or something. (Due to the single bladed leaves and curling)

One suggestion i have is that you keep your mothers in larger pots, so they can continuously grow without becoming rootbound.

mastagrowa

mastagrowa

Mastacheeser, coco...like I said ;)

I don't think it's a mom issue. I don't usually do moms anyway...perpetual cloning. Which I've done for years without issue.

Natural

Natural

man..those babes went straight retard..are you clipping cuts from flipped plants..is your PH meter and calibration fluid 100% in check?

mastagrowa

mastagrowa

man..those babes went straight retard..are you clipping cuts from flipped plants..is your PH meter and calibration fluid 100% in check?

All meters checked at least every 2 weeks.

All cuts taken from plants in 18/6. I take em right before I put the plants into 12/12.

Natural

Natural

craziness...are the mom's happy when you take cuts. Sidenote..I now buy the small calibration fluids as they do go bad..and meters ability to calibrate do too. Safest to have some drop types to check it or add a spare meter. Other than that...might be genetic drift...caused by stress. Do your clones look near death after they get rooting?

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

if this problem is been ongoing for a year, i would consider switching a main component of your garden (medium, nutes, genetics, etc..) This is a very abnormal mutation, might be caused from some sort of stress. It does look like your plants are re-vegging but i know that is not the case. It could possibly be a deformity that is within the DNA of your plant. If a plant, such as a mom, goes under a certain amount of stress, it can alter the DNA and will be passed along with all the cuts you will take. So since this has been ongoing, and since you take fresh cuts from each cycle as the they go into flower and those plants your taking cuts from have dealt with similar signs of deformity, then it could be possible that your running cycles of damaged Genes. Which would explain why this keeps happening over and over agian.

I would pull in some other genetics or find new clones of the same strain if you choose.

How do you feed your coco? is there a chance of some lockout or nutrient doseage error?

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

looks like something is messing with the plants hormones...
possibly ethylene gas off some source you installed a year ago?
some chemical those pots are treated with?
plastic lines off gassing?
try a few up canned into plastic pots to see if it's your pot and a couple up canned into a different medium to see if it's your coco and a few with different nutes
since several strains have the same issue thus ruling out degraded genes and i doubt it's tmv, it must be environmental
double check your timers

fwiw

mastagrowa

mastagrowa

craziness...are the mom's happy when you take cuts. Sidenote..I now buy the small calibration fluids as they do go bad..and meters ability to calibrate do too. Safest to have some drop types to check it or add a spare meter. Other than that...might be genetic drift...caused by stress. Do your clones look near death after they get rooting?

Moms look great. I really doubt it's pH...everything else is happy....

mastagrowa

mastagrowa

if this problem is been ongoing for a year, i would consider switching a main component of your garden (medium, nutes, genetics, etc..) This is a very abnormal mutation, might be caused from some sort of stress. It does look like your plants are re-vegging but i know that is not the case. It could possibly be a deformity that is within the DNA of your plant. ...

How do you feed your coco? is there a chance of some lockout or nutrient doseage error?

We got a Girl Scout Cookies strain about six-eight months back that was perfectly healthy and now it too is showing these symptoms.

We hand water (pump and hose) everything. I also thought it was some nute lockout but after flushing like crazy the probs remained.

mastagrowa

mastagrowa

looks like something is messing with the plants hormones...
possibly ethylene gas off some source you installed a year ago?
some chemical those pots are treated with?
plastic lines off gassing?
try a few up canned into plastic pots to see if it's your pot and a couple up canned into a different medium to see if it's your coco and a few with different nutes
since several strains have the same issue thus ruling out degraded genes and i doubt it's tmv, it must be environmental
double check your timers

fwiw

Yeah I thought about that too, but we use old plastic pots that are washed pretty carefully...or new coco pots that are single-use. We switched brands of coco from Canna to Gold Label and now to Slacker, same story.

The timer thing could be it. Getting a new one today.

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
You ever think about keeping your mothers in soil and just using coco for bloom?

That looks like a stress problem. Either environmental or nutrient and the plant is just showing it that way.... almost like it slightly going into flower but your lights are on for to long for it to fully go into flower. Just as if it were re vegging like some mentioned earlier.

Before you do anything dramatic like trash them I would get some soil and use some of Caps nute packs and mix it into the soil and pick up some of Caps foliar and root packs and brew some teas.....foliar with it and water with it. I think if the plants are dialed in and healthy you won't see this problem anymore

mastagrowa

mastagrowa

Before you do anything dramatic like trash them I would get some soil and use some of Caps nute packs and mix it into the soil and pick up some of Caps foliar and root packs and brew some teas.....foliar with it and water with it. I think if the plants are dialed in and healthy you won't see this problem anymore

Cool I have some Cap's on my shelf. I'll use it with the coco. How much you recommend per gal of coco?I brew compost tea constantly and do foliars with it as well...

ethnoman

ethnoman

I would hazard a guess that it hormonal, induced by some kind of stressor. Work out what the stressor is, alleviate it and I am fairly confident you will resolve the issue.

budm

budm

Light leaks or defective timer? Definitely something causing the hormones to be switching between back to a vegetative state after thinking they were in a bloom mode

mastagrowa

mastagrowa

I've been thinkin about our clones today. We have been using these cheapo plastic drinking cups to hold the newly-rooters for 1-2 weeks after they come outta the clone box. They generally look OK and do well. The probs always start 1-2 weeks after we transplant them into larger pots (the normal plastic 4" square pots...or 6" coco pots).

Could the mutations be caused by some sort of off-gassing from these plastic cups? Making sense to me if so...although the delayed onset of the problems kinda makes me wonder if...maybe not?

Photo 2 Photo 1

mastagrowa

mastagrowa

Light leaks or defective timer? Definitely something causing the hormones to be switching between back to a vegetative state after thinking they were in a bloom mode

Well hello Budm, there's a familiar name! ( OG refugee here ;) )

Yeah I suspect my fancy chinese multi-option timer may be at fault...I have it going off at 3am and back on at 9am to give em 18/6...never was in the room at those times so it's possible.....

Top Bottom