Bizarre plant mutation...mosaic virus or...??

• Thread starter mastagrowa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Natural

Natural

I've been thinkin about our clones today. We have been using these cheapo plastic drinking cups to hold the newly-rooters for 1-2 weeks after they come outta the clone box. They generally look OK and do well. The probs always start 1-2 weeks after we transplant them into larger pots (the normal plastic 4" square pots...or 6" coco pots).

Could the mutations be caused by some sort of off-gassing from these plastic cups? Making sense to me if so...although the delayed onset of the problems kinda makes me wonder if...maybe not?

View attachment 380775 View attachment 380776

Never had problems with them..do you keep them in a tent?..I've heard some cheapo tents can off-gas. One way toi know for sure is to skip the cups. Clones look healthy btw.
I'm thinking the CoCo is your problem...like they are drying out in the cups. Could you try some peat in the cups then up-pot to CoCo?

Swell

Swell

That's a rookie move my friend (not checking timer is on/off.) And i only say that out of love.

First day or two of new lights, you should always check to see it's working as it should. Shit happens with electronics and plants, so double checking your work and the machines work is always critical.

Glad we got to the bottom of the single leaves.
Also to consider, is rootbounding really does induce some sort of early flowering characteristics. Meaning if you leave a small plant in a 3" container, it will produce calyxes and pistils while still under a vegetative light cycle.

mastagrowa

mastagrowa

That's a rookie move my friend (not checking timer is on/off.) And i only say that out of love.

Yeah for sure. Only problem is, why aren't ALL my strains doing this?
And they were doing it before I set the "off" time to 3am...I used to have the lights out from 12pm-6pm and I was in the room all the time. So....

Also to consider, is rootbounding really does induce some sort of early flowering characteristics. Meaning if you leave a small plant in a 3" container, it will produce calyxes and pistils while still under a vegetative light cycle.

That's possible although I put them into a 4" pot (or larger) as soon as they are binding up in the cups....

The mystery remains.....

germinator

germinator

This may sound crazy but when was your last bulb change in veg? I have had plants show similar deformities if I short them on light.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

i just transplanted a cut of tahoexalien thats been in a red solo cup since Sept (due to laziness).... no crazy deformities, she got a lil pissed off at me here and there but teas and enzymes kept her healthy. so im ruling out rootbound in your case. it something deeper than that, if this problem has been reoccuring. like i said earlier, that is no regular deformity.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

i just transplanted a cut of tahoexalien thats been in a red solo cup since Sept (due to laziness).... no crazy deformities, she got a lil pissed off at me here and there but teas and enzymes kept her healthy. so im ruling out rootbound in your case. it something deeper than that, if this problem has been reoccuring. like i said earlier, that is no regular deformity.
...yeah, i agree completely, it is definitely NOT caused by being rootbound.

here's a pic of one of my grobro's moms that has been in this 9oz cup of coco for almost 2 years and even this small she was a prolific mom producing MANY small cuts.

DSCI0153

peace, bozo

btw, i know for a fact how long that plant was in that cup because it was me who gifted it to him in that cup.

mastagrowa

mastagrowa

This may sound crazy but when was your last bulb change in veg? I have had plants show similar deformities if I short them on light.

Bout a year ago. Prolly time to swap out. I just can't see how it would do that though ...the light isn't low anywhere on the trays....

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...yeah man, i just went back and reviewed and first it is definitely not those plastic cups, as you can see from that pic above, i've been using those cups for years without issue.

...and i'd really suggest you take the timer out completely and try running your veg op 24/7 for a while and see if this has any effect.

...keep in mind that genetic traits can be very dissimilar between varieties so the fact that some of your strains seem to be ok while others exhibit this 'mutation' might just be that some strains flower much easier than others.

...and this is such an easy test to run, what have you got to lose.

peace, bozo

mastagrowa

mastagrowa

OK, time for an update, if you guys care ;)

So I replaced the timer, which wasn't the problem as it existed before I changed the night time hours.

The plastic cups were not the problem either.

I checked the runoff, which I usually do in my flower room, and it was a bit high...not outrageously high but I'd say about 30% over the input numbers.

I did a massive flush with Clearex then followed up with a light Heavy 16 mix (about 800ppms total). Didn't add any of the H&G supplements except Roots Excel.

Right away the girls looked happier. The funky mutations and purple stemming stopped and within a week there was straight regrowth.

The ones that were really fucked are still fucked and I'll prolly end up tossing em. Just kept them on to see if they'd recover. They are, but very slowly.

So far no more mutations on my new batch of clones.

I'm gonna keep flushing regularly and using a low PPM Heavy 16 mix instead of the H&G recipe which seems really too hot for small girls (12-1300ppms).

So far so good. Will post again in few weeks to see if the changes really helped.

salmonslammer

salmonslammer

Bozo thats a form of sadomasochism in my book give that girl some room lol:wacky:

Top Bottom