Can't keep PH up...

• Thread starter BCrocker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HydroRocks

HydroRocks

It could be the result of to high an EC level, not sure if that was mentioned. It is usually either a bacteria problem or over run in population that causes severe PH drops or to high an EC level.

Someone mentioned good points about the type of nitrogen source you use, but most of what was stated applies to soil media and not hydroponics, a common mixup.

Try lowering your EC level and if your using RO water you want to add some Cal/Mag for PH stability.

Try and avoid using any "sugar" type products if you are and see if that helps as this would be a direct food source for bacteria good and bad.

Another common issue is lack of oxygen in the water which can create a anaerobic condition of "dead spots" in your system in which case you have to change tactics so to speak to kill those type critters (different breed you could say).

Good luck!

ttystikk

ttystikk

BCRocker- People have raised some good points here- you haven't provided enough information to make even an educated guess, let alone a firm diagnosis from the other side of the keyboard.

First, I've had pH drop issues- they came back to two causes; one, the TDS/EC/ppm was too high, and two, root rot. If your nutrient solution strength is high enough that pH continues to fall "no matter what", then it's too strong. That in itelf will lead to a receptive environment for pathogens.

I've never had or seen pH rise as a result of root pathogens. Ever. Maybe it did at the same time it was being infected, but when there's enough pathogenic material in the hydro system to be causing a pH swing, it goes down, not up.

So, to help us help you, we need to know some basics; what kind of hydro system is it? What's the media? What's the nutrient strength? What's the water temperature? Have the plants been stresed in any way recently? Any new additions to the garden?

Z

zeropercentthc

Sometimes my PH would plummet fairly suddenly (like from 5.8 to 4.8 in a day) after many days of stability. This was while using GH Flora Micro and Bloom, at a 1 part Micro for 2 part Bloom ratio. EC around 0.9-1.4. Did this without any sign of root problems or rising PPMs. I just assumed it was because the nutrient levels would just eventually get too far out of balance, and the rapid fall in PH was a sign that the reservoir should have been changed already. One thing to consider is how big the res is for the amount of canopy being used by it, and how long it has been since the res has been changed.

Incidentally I've had much more stability since using Ionic Bloom instead of the GH Lucas Formula, but not enough time has passed for me to be very confident that that is the reason for the much more stable PH.

EDIT: a bit off topic, but just to mention, I have had at times problems with PH rising and rising and rising, uncontrollably, needing an extreme amount of acid to even temporarily put the PH under 6.0. It turned out to be caused by a new batch of hydroton, which I rinsed but apparently had not rinsed enough. I've tried rinsing it to hell, and it still causes this problem. No such issue with my past ordered hydroton, so I'm just re-using those rocks for now.

singingcrow

singingcrow

sedate:
I have to go work in a garden so I wont be here to take the intellectual ass wooping you have in store for me.

God, I'm sorry. I know I'm high, but that is probably the forum, "line of the year. Fo sho'! GreenPunk.. mind if I use it? :banana:

On another note: was anyone getting at algae? Algae on the walls, tubes and bubble rocks (really anything feeling slimy and deep green) can drop the PH. Has happened to me time and time again :)

Y

Ybortacoman

I know I've read it on here before, but I couldn't find it again.

Friend has a DWC setup and he just can't keep the PH up.. it keeps falling no matter what he does. What does this mean generally? Meter has been calibrated and tested another meter as well.

So I know this thread is super old but when I had a similar problem in my dwc with ph continuously dropping by the hour I did a Google search. This thread came up and I can confirm that ROOT ROT can be the cause. I did have slime and discoloration in my water so I flushed and sterilized my system and started over. I added hydro guard as my water temps hover around 80. Over the course of the next week I had to add ph up every few hours to keep the ph above 55. I read this thread and decided to check my roots. There I discovered one of my plants had a nice ball B. There I discovered one of my plants had a Nice ball of brown roots. Sure enough when I trimmed those nasty roots and stabilized my pH it was clearly effective. My pH seems to have stabilized and the plants are doing much better.

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

^^ These comments are wrong.

The osmotic processes of nutrient/mineral/waste exchange between the roots and the rez is very complex. As roots exchange salts and sugars and what-not, the pH will absolutely swing - sometimes wildly depending on what additives a grower has added and whether or not you have a sterile or living rez.

Perhaps a grower is using a bloom-boost with asorbic acid? Maybe there is a few ml/gallon of molasses? How about silica? What application rate for beneficials? What kind of oxygenation is provided to the system? Is it tap or RO water? Is the cal-mag package calcium nitrate or calcium carbonate?

Anyway - drawing those definite conclusions from the bare-bones information the OP provided is kinda sloppy.

We have no idea why the pH is dropping.

When your ph goes from 5.8 to 4.2 in less than an hr. It absolutely means you have root rot…..every season I dealt with it……. No I just use our ro water till their about 4 weeks old from seed then I just you straight cold tap water that comes out it’s 64° on the nose 150 ppm perfect for Coco dtw….. when I used to get it I would water 5.8 the runoff would be 5.8 at the end of watering I could go back literally 30 minutes later and give it that same exact water put my runoff would be damn near 4.0 the bacteria release acidic waste extremely acidic so if you’re seeing huge plummeting in pH in a very short amount of time that absolutely. Means you have root rot…..Unless you spell the container of pH down in one of your pots that’s the only other thing that can cause that

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

When your ph goes from 5.8 to 4.2 in less than an hr. It absolutely means you have root rot…..every season I dealt with it……. No I just use our ro water till their about 4 weeks old from seed then I just you straight cold tap water that comes out it’s 64° on the nose 150 ppm perfect for Coco dtw….. when I used to get it I would water 5.8 the runoff would be 5.8 at the end of watering I could go back literally 30 minutes later and give it that same exact water put my runoff would be damn near 4.0 the bacteria release acidic waste extremely acidic so if you’re seeing huge plummeting in pH in a very short amount of time that absolutely. Means you have root rot…..Unless you spell the container of pH down in one of your pots that’s the only other thing that can cause that
Or you ha e no buffer. Even with root rot you should never see ph drop that fast.

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

Or you ha e no buffer. Even with root rot you should never see ph drop that fast.
It was extremely bad root rot…… when I gave them a flush with 3%h2o2, I watched literally cups at a time globs of slime poor out of the bottom….. back then I didn’t know much about growing just the basics my reservoir temperature is back then were well above 80…. But yeah certain bacteria leave the root zone more acidic than others…… that was with a blue PH pen that I calibrated every Friday so I know that 4.2 reading was bang on

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

Another thing I’ve noticed after dealing with root rot so many times is that rising P PMs in your runoff coupled with plummeting pH in your runoff you’re almost guaranteed to have root rot

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Another thing I’ve noticed after dealing with root rot so many times is that rising P PMs in your runoff coupled with plummeting pH in your runoff you’re almost guaranteed to have root rot
Well that usually means there is an uptake issue... can be roots can be leaves

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Root rot is actually fairly easy to correct... but imo the best way to know is simply to look at the roots. One thing I have learned is never assume anything over the yrs. Been bitten in the ass many times from this.

If ya get it again try this... I haven't had anyone else fail yet... that I know of. But needs to be followed to the T.

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

Well that usually means there is an uptake issue... can be roots can be leaves
That’s exactly why people should follow that VPD chart as closely as possible also inspect for pests, that way when you do see issues those two things can be ruled out immediately

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

Root rot is actually fairly easy to correct... but imo the best way to know is simply to look at the roots. One thing I have learned is never assume anything over the yrs. Been bitten in the ass many times from this.
That’s fair…..what’s your go too fix for root rot?

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

I run 5ml per gal of undiluted 29%h2o2 every day,hopefully that keeps em clean and healthy cuz it’s getting mighty hot hear and my Rez goes from 64f to 74f in less than a hr so I gota be quick when I make batches

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Bruh, you replied to a comment that's 10 years old. I'm stoned trying to help people and it took me 10 min to figure that out lol..

Then I find out everyone else on here is all replying based upon that..

Like I'm high guys. . I needed to help someone.. Now I'm confused lol.. As usual... Going to bed useless now.. And confused..

Good day

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I run 5ml per gal of undiluted 29%h2o2 every day,hopefully that keeps em clean and healthy cuz it’s getting mighty hot hear and my Rez goes from 64f to 74f in less than a hr so I gota be quick when I make batches
I run my res between 72-74f

Wow that's crazy high... would be surprised if it's not killing the roots. 2-3ml of 3% is what's typical. You should be diluting that 9 part of water to 1 part that and dosing about 2-3ml a gal.

Your dosing 50ml per gal of 3%... never heard of that before... kinda crazy amount.

You sure your adding that much?

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

I run my res between 72-74f

Wow that's crazy high... would be surprised if it's not killing the roots. 2-3ml of 3% is what's typical. You should be diluting that 9 part of water to 1 part that and dosing about 2-3ml a gal.

Your dosing 50ml per gal of 3%... never heard of that before... kinda crazy amount.

You sure your adding that much?
I measure it out with a syringe so it’s getting that exactly…. I used to be able to get the 34% and even then I would use 5 mL per gallon so basically what I do from germination right from the gate I give them a 1 mL per gallon and then I bump that 1 mL up 1 ml at a time per week of age until their at five weeks from seed and they’re getting 5 mL per gallon and they blow the fuck up….6 week veg from seed 8-10 oz per plant On med yielding strains

Top Bottom