Premium Member
Supporter

View attachment 56424852133__D605E9B8-E481-458A-85A1-1C1260506CC7.MOV

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
View attachment 56424865693__13C4F541-0418-4D5D-9DD1-ABD69DDF1E8F.MOV

This video shows the Cookies N Cream #3 and Choco D #1 and Choco D #2 in order from left to right.

The Cookies n Cream just went into flowering a few days ago. The Choco Ds are about a week to a week and a half into flowering. Not much action on them yet but they take a few extra weeks compared to the relatively quick flowering AK47 strain. AK is a 7-8 week strain and Choco D is a good 9-10 week strain in my experience. Of course I’ve not grown these seeds out before so we’ll see. They could easily go longer depending on phenotype.

I’ve got a Choco D in another location that is much further along and it’s terp profile is fairly fruity. I’m not sure yet about the other two phenos. But the fruity terp profile is intriguing and might make the cut. Only time will tell.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

View attachment 841771

This video shows the Cookies N Cream #3 and Choco D #1 and Choco D #2 in order from left to right.

The Cookies n Cream just went into flowering a few days ago. The Choco Ds are about a week to a week and a half into flowering. Not much action on them yet but they take a few extra weeks compared to the relatively quick flowering AK47 strain. AK is a 7-8 week strain and Choco D is a good 9-10 week strain in my experience. Of course I’ve not grown these seeds out before so we’ll see. They could easily go longer depending on phenotype.

I’ve got a Choco D in another location that is much further along and it’s terp profile is fairly fruity. I’m not sure yet about the other two phenos. But the fruity terp profile is intriguing and might make the cut. Only time will tell.

Lookin real good brother. That's straight nursery heath right there.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Lookin real good brother. That's straight nursery heath right there.

Thanks bro! Just tossed some cookies n cream pollen on an AK so those beans should be ready in about 4-5 weeks if it took. I hit the same branch two days in a row so I’m gonna cross my fingers and pray. I’ll spray her down and put her back into the flowering chamber tomorrow.

I’ll repeat the process on the Choco Ds and Cookies N Cream girl in about 2-3 weeks. Should make for some interesting crosses. Also planning on giving my Cali-O the same treatment when it’s ready in about a month. Have to grow them all out and see what kind of traits were passed down from the male Cookies n Cream. It’ll be a fun ride either way.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Thanks bro! Just tossed some cookies n cream pollen on an AK so those beans should be ready in about 4-5 weeks if it took. I hit the same branch two days in a row so I’m gonna cross my fingers and pray. I’ll spray her down and put her back into the flowering chamber tomorrow.

I’ll repeat the process on the Choco Ds and Cookies N Cream girl in about 2-3 weeks. Should make for some interesting crosses. Also planning on giving my Cali-O the same treatment when it’s ready in about a month. Have to grow them all out and see what kind of traits were passed down from the male Cookies n Cream. It’ll be a fun ride either way.

So you rinse the excess pollen off after you've given it enough time to take?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The water just kills the excess pollen so it can’t spread to the rest of the plants or other branches. It’s not really a rinse but sorta.

That's what I meant. Not really to wash them off. I just thought it was really soon after application and it would neutralise what you applied.

I'm baked and not conveying my thoughts well.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
That's what I meant. Not really to wash them off. I just thought it was really soon after application and it would neutralise what you applied.

I'm baked and not conveying my thoughts well.

Ahh ok. Yeah I think it’ll be fine. I’ve done it before with only one application and got seeds. I’ve done two applications across two days so I’ll see. If it doesn’t work that’s ok I’ll try again. But I’m pretty sure it’ll work. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
How are you guys pollinating? specifically detail your application procedure. Just curious. I may have a better way. Tho until I know how you guys are rolling I cant say for sure. :D lemme know

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I took my female out of my grow rack and put it in a separate area with a light that simulates the same 11/13 photoperiod and then brushed the pollen / flour concoction onto the pistils of the branch I wanted to pollinate and then put a bag over it. Repeated the process again the next day. Then waited 24 more hours and sprayed the branch with tap water to deactivate any remaining pollen. Wait for it to dry and back in the rack it went.

I used a small water color paint brush that was unused to apply the pollen.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Ok, how is your success rate using this method? As far as successful seeded branches? Is this working to your expectations?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
gotta run, will be back later to finish our convo. :D

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
It’s been years since I’ve tossed any pollen. Last time I did it I had decent success. I won’t know for a few weeks whether it took or not. I’m assuming it’ll be ok. Any pointers you can give I’ll certainly take your advice and give em a try.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
3C154E8D D8D7 49DD B3B2 0EB6F61B7F88

Rack overview. Clones vegging in the bottom. AK4 x 2, CD x 2, CnC x1 in flowering.

F3448279 FA5A 4095 BABF 8775114F9A45

Flowering chamber closeup. AK47 #4 on each side. Choco Ds in the back and Cookies n Cream in the front.

02DB30EF D900 4471 8682 091B9DB4F13D

AK47 #4 about 4 weeks into flowering. A little foliar overspray from the other three on the outside fan leaves.

B2CA5B4F 7C72 478E AF6C F44246D0F1FD

AK47 #4 that had a branch pollinated. The pollinated branch is in the back corner just under the inline ventilation fan. So if there was any residual pollen left it shouldn’t affect the AK ok the other side of the flowering chamber.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
It’s been years since I’ve tossed any pollen. Last time I did it I had decent success. I won’t know for a few weeks whether it took or not. I’m assuming it’ll be ok. Any pointers you can give I’ll certainly take your advice and give em a try.
Unless the pollen has somehow become contaminated or is actually sterile, or has gotten too much moisture, or been stored too long this method has given me great results. Keep in mind I didn't invent this someone along my career allowed me to burglarize it. What I do know is this, the fresher the pollen is and not having been stored is the best way to go. Same day application will give you optimum results. Again barring that it isn't sterile right out of the gate.

Use as much of the males pollen your working with and not unlike your method put the pollen in a paper bag and secure the bag on the branch you want to pollinate. Secure the bag in any way that keeps the end tightly sealed around the stem. Than vigorously shake the branch so the enclosed pollen flys about inside the bag. Wait till next day and give the bag another shake rattle and roll. On the 3rd day you can mist the bag with water. Paying attention to the end of the bag where it is wrapped around the branch. Then gently remove the bag from the branch and discard. The pollen left over is no longer viable. If you did this in a isolated room from your main grow and will be returning the gal to the flower room be sure to mist the pollinated branch as well to deactivate any residual pollen left over. So you don't have any issues with open pollination in your main flower room.
You may be thinking, whats cactus doing here? Well after 2 days shake and then by the 3rd day any pollination thats going to occur will already be set in motion. So to mist the branch at this time isn't going to halt the pollination process. Hope this helps someone. It is to some folks intimidating at 1st but after a few times its a breeze. This method has always resulted in great results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom