Cob Lighting For A 4x8 Flowering Tent

• Thread starter h4ppyf4rmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sixstring

sixstring

Update: frames are all COBed and wired and back hanging in the tent again.

ordered my dimmer 100K potentiometers so I can dim the array if I want.
i suggest you wire an on/off switch directly between the driver and dim pot.i had 3 of the cheap dimmers from amazon go bad now so i have removed all my dim leads to everything that does not have a switch wired into the circuit.when i removed some of them i did it while the driver was on and i could see a huge jump in brightness.buy good quality dimmers is what im getting at lol.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

i suggest you wire an on/off switch directly between the driver and dim pot.i had 3 of the cheap dimmers from amazon go bad now so i have removed all my dim leads to everything that does not have a switch wired into the circuit.when i removed some of them i did it while the driver was on and i could see a huge jump in brightness.buy good quality dimmers is what i'm getting at lol.

I bought a 0 to 100K ohm .5 watt linear pot from DigiKey, looks just like the one that rapid sells except theirs is only a 10K ohm pot.

sixstring

sixstring

I bought a 0 to 100K ohm .5 watt linear pot from DigiKey, looks just like the one that rapid sells except theirs is only a 10K ohm pot.
i think those digikey pots might be better quality than what i got from amazon,which was the cheapest batch i could find :facepalm:

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

putting the power displays and dimmer controls together . Two of the 100K pots work fine, one only goes to 92K, hmmm.

IMG 20170610 195825

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

so to test out my COB wiring, I just put a plug on the end of a cable and ran the other end to the driver and plugged them in directly. Now I have to hook up the timers and dimmers(not really sure I need them). for the short time they were on, the heat sinks definitely got warm...

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

@sixstring I think I'm done with my lighting setup, works awesome, hoping for some good results...

Once I get my bloom tent completely done(just need to finish my hydro), I'm going to be bored, you need any help with anything };-)

the power board, leaving the dimmers unconnected until/if I need them...

IMG 20170616 220242

sixstring

sixstring

@sixstring I think I'm done with my lighting setup, works awesome, hoping for some good results...

Once I get my bloom tent completely done(just need to finish my hydro), I'm going to be bored, you need any help with anything };-)

the power board, leaving the dimmers unconnected until/if I need them...

View attachment 710863
sick looking wiring job man.so tell me about those white boxes above the amp meter boxes.it looks like some type of relay with a built in timer maybe ?

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

sick looking wiring job man.so tell me about those white boxes above the amp meter boxes.it looks like some type of relay with a built in timer maybe ?

yeah, that's exactly what they are:

Baomain 220V Programmable Electronic Timer Switch KG316T-II

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00977J2T2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I looked at the 240v pool timers but this was the cheapest option. The downside to these are the exposed connections where if I used a pool timer, everything is closed in a flip-open plastic box.

I probably should have just bought a large enough flip-open plastic box to hold the meter, potentiometer, and timer...

Harley09

Harley09

I've just read your thread and you have givin me some good ideas. I will be rewiring my space to utilize 220 voltage for the drivers I'll be using. My set up will be very much like yours
Upload 2017 6 17 13 20 40

By the time I add in the odds and ends should be around $800.00

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I've just read your thread and you have givin me some good ideas. I will be rewiring my space to utilize 220 voltage for the drivers I'll be using. My set up will be very much like yours

By the time I add in the odds and ends should be around $800.00

I think my lighting system cost close to 1400 when all said and done.

I bought my drivers from arrow electronics for $83, that included a 10% discount first time purchase deal.

The COBs I bought from Future electronics for $21.50, they usually only sell in lots of 50 but sometimes they have odd lots where they will sell in small quantities, I ended up buying 20. I bought the BXRC-30G10K0-D-73-SE but was shipped -D-72-SE which are a tighter tolerance around the 3000K(only means the lights look all the same color)

the rails I bought from RapidLED because I was willing to spend a little bit more for not having to drill a crap load of holes in aluminum angle, and I think it looks much better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom