Cob Lighting For A 4x8 Flowering Tent

• Thread starter h4ppyf4rmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sixstring

sixstring

also at rapidled use the coupon code GROWMAU5 at checkout for 5% off your order.think i told you this already lol

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

idk if i would want it all tied together.having 3 or 4 seperate bars of cobs gives you more options for dif sized plants.and i wouldnt worry about the hanger kits,its simple to use cable or chain from the hardware store to hang the lights.im just tossing out options to save money bro.i know having it all tidy is nice.make sure those vero for 21 bucks are the newer gen 7,that sounds like the older vero pricing.

yeah, I was just going to get six 1x4 units and not get the 4x4 units.

I checked the part part number of the vero29 units , it's the same ones that digikey had, so I think I'm fine with those COBs.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

finally heard back from Growers Choice about the CMH lights:

This is Justin from Grower's Choice, thank you so much for reaching out!

ME: what would you recommend? I'm thinking two 630W DE CMH fixtures using the 3K-R bulbs

Justin: Two 630 DE CMH would cover you 4x8 tent perfectly. Each 630 covers a 4x4.

ME: would two of the 630 fixtures be too much?

Justin: No i think it would be perfect.

ME: how far off the canopy would you have to keep them?

Justin: The 630 recommend flower footprint is 4x4, at 24-36 inches away from the canopy.

ME: would I need active cooling/venting with two of these? The tent will be in a cool unheated basement and only see an issue in the 3 months of summer (I live in Mass) where I might have to vent out the warm humid air.

Justin: Yes, You will need active cooling and vent. These units run pretty hot, if there are no A/C going in i don't think it would be ideal. If A/C cooling is an issue, id go with the 315s, two 315s would be pretty good in your tent, hopefully getaway with just venting. You won't be filling the sides as well as the 630s, but a lot of our customers do use the 315s in 4x4 tents.

ME: I really don't like the idea of replacing the bulbs every couple of years.

Justin: As for HID lighting, usually growers replace bulb once a year at least, some serious growers even switch out every 2 cycles. The benefit in running the low frequency is it doubles the life span of the bulb, so the bulb would perform in optimal state for 20,000+ Hours. You would still have to replace the bulb after 2 years to see the best results.

ME: basically what would you recommend?

Justin: Really depends on how you are going to cool your tent. If you can't duct in cold air, I would use the 315s or the COB. COB is good because you will have multiple light sources and an even distribution of light, but with CMH, you are getting a significantly better spectrum. There's pros and cons for each really have to come down to cost, cooling, and what you are looking for.

sixstring

sixstring

finally heard back from Growers Choice about the CMH lights:

This is Justin from Grower's Choice, thank you so much for reaching out!

ME: what would you recommend? I'm thinking two 630W DE CMH fixtures using the 3K-R bulbs

Justin: Two 630 DE CMH would cover you 4x8 tent perfectly. Each 630 covers a 4x4.

ME: would two of the 630 fixtures be too much?

Justin: No i think it would be perfect.

ME: how far off the canopy would you have to keep them?

Justin: The 630 recommend flower footprint is 4x4, at 24-36 inches away from the canopy.

ME: would I need active cooling/venting with two of these? The tent will be in a cool unheated basement and only see an issue in the 3 months of summer (I live in Mass) where I might have to vent out the warm humid air.

Justin: Yes, You will need active cooling and vent. These units run pretty hot, if there are no A/C going in i don't think it would be ideal. If A/C cooling is an issue, id go with the 315s, two 315s would be pretty good in your tent, hopefully getaway with just venting. You won't be filling the sides as well as the 630s, but a lot of our customers do use the 315s in 4x4 tents.

ME: I really don't like the idea of replacing the bulbs every couple of years.

Justin: As for HID lighting, usually growers replace bulb once a year at least, some serious growers even switch out every 2 cycles. The benefit in running the low frequency is it doubles the life span of the bulb, so the bulb would perform in optimal state for 20,000+ Hours. You would still have to replace the bulb after 2 years to see the best results.

ME: basically what would you recommend?

Justin: Really depends on how you are going to cool your tent. If you can't duct in cold air, I would use the 315s or the COB. COB is good because you will have multiple light sources and an even distribution of light, but with CMH, you are getting a significantly better spectrum. There's pros and cons for each really have to come down to cost, cooling, and what you are looking for.
well if his aguement comes down to spectrum just use 90 cri cobs.900w of cobs will make the tent just as hot as 900w of cmh.you will need a decent exhaust fan like vortex to move air through the tent.bottom flap open for fresh air in,top vent used to push/pull hot air out with vortex.68f-70f basement and you'll be fine with 2 x 630cmh or 1200w of cobs.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

well if his aguement comes down to spectrum just use 90 cri cobs.900w of cobs will make the tent just as hot as 900w of cmh.you will need a decent exhaust fan like vortex to move air through the tent.bottom flap open for fresh air in,top vent used to push/pull hot air out with vortex.68f-70f basement and you'll be fine with 2 x 630cmh or 1200w of cobs.

well, right now, I'm planning on 900 watts of VERO29SE CRI90 parts, I'm not going to deal with replacing bulbs every year or so with the 630cmh units. I ordered a less expensive 4" exhaust than Vortex last night, we'll see how it works in my current 4x4 tent.

I was looking at the Rapid site yesterday at dimmers, and it looks like they has a nice remote control dimmer (BLUEFISH) that will run with the HLG drivers. It's a little on the expensive side but it will do exactly what I was planning to do with a Raspberry PI

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

well, arrow.com has a 50 part minimum for the VERO29SE COBs. I have a request out to Vicky Song to see what she can do for me. I know Digikey has them for $25 and futurelighting has them for $22

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Ordered three HLG-320H-C1400B drivers.
Ordered three 220V timers.
Ordered six 1x4 frames and 18 pin heatsinks from Rapid.
My credit card feels a lot heavier now {:-(

All I need to do is buy the COBs and wire to start the lighting build.

I am officially the first to order the frames off the Rapid website };-)

now for a question: 20 awg or 18 awg wire to wire these COBs up? I'll be wiring up the VERO29SE 36v COBs.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

@sixstring I was looking over your thread, looks like you use 18awg wire between the COBs, that's what i'm planning as well.

I'm still a bit worried that I'm going to be under lighting this tent with 18 - 3000K/CRI90 COBs but I guess I can add more using these new frames...

Installed 190cfm inline fan, seems to be working pretty good in my 4x4, might not be strong enough for my 4x8

Last edited:
sixstring

sixstring

@sixstring I was looking over your thread, looks like you use 18awg wire between the COBs, that's what i'm planning as well.

I'm still a bit worried that I'm going to be under lighting this tent with 18 - 3000K/CRI90 COBs but I guess I can add more using these new frames...

Installed 190cfm inline fan, seems to be working pretty good in my 4x4, might not be strong enough for my 4x8
yes 18 ga solid wire is best for cobs. i cant remember now but didnt you say you wouldnt be using the whole tent? at any rate i think your gunna be shocked how bright 18 cobs are.have you looked at cutter yet? prices aint bad on the se with built in holders @ 27 bucks usd

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

yes 18 ga solid wire is best for cobs. i cant remember now but didnt you say you wouldnt be using the whole tent? at any rate i think your gunna be shocked how bright 18 cobs are.have you looked at cutter yet? prices aint bad on the se with built in holders @ 27 bucks usd

yeah, I'm only going to bloom 6 plants at a time, but I want to create larger plants similar to yours. I basically like your grow style. so I was going to center two rows of three plants down the middle.

After I asked the 220v versus 110v question on the live feed lastnight, I do remember you telling me that the 220 drivers are a bit more efficient.

The funny thing is, I had already figured out all that stuff about the PLC-6. It felt like a long commercial, lol... I'm glad you spoke up about talking more about the VERO29s, I didn't want to do it and look like a noob jerk };-)

I saw these:

VERO SE 29 Series 3000K 90 CRI min 10125 lm 37.6 V 3 SDCM Warm White LED Array
Mfr Part#: BXRC-30G10K0-D-73-SE
http://www.futureelectronics.com/en...oductID=BXRC30G10K0D73SEBRIDGELUX8077845&IM=0
they have 42 in stock for 21.87

sixstring

sixstring

yeah, I'm only going to bloom 6 plants at a time, but I want to create larger plants similar to yours. I basically like your grow style. so I was going to center two rows of three plants down the middle.

After I asked the 220v versus 110v question on the live feed lastnight, I do remember you telling me that the 220 drivers are a bit more efficient.

The funny thing is, I had already figured out all that stuff about the PLC-6. It felt like a long commercial, lol... I'm glad you spoke up about talking more about the VERO29s, I didn't want to do it and look like a noob jerk };-)

I saw these:

VERO SE 29 Series 3000K 90 CRI min 10125 lm 37.6 V 3 SDCM Warm White LED Array
Mfr Part#: BXRC-30G10K0-D-73-SE
http://www.futureelectronics.com/en...oductID=BXRC30G10K0D73SEBRIDGELUX8077845&IM=0
they have 42 in stock for 21.87

Thats a sweet price,it must be for 100 or more.but i would find out if they will sell you 20 or less.if so let me know i would grab 10 or 20 just to have for future builds.

sixstring

sixstring

I remember someone asking me the volt question but i cant remember your youtube name haha.drives me nuts more than half the people on YouTube use a different name then they do on forums

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Thats a sweet price,it must be for 100 or more.but i would find out if they will sell you 20 or less.if so let me know i would grab 10 or 20 just to have for future builds.

it says minimum order was one, there was another part item with the same COB that had a minimum order of 50.

I remember someone asking me the volt question but i cant remember your youtube name haha.drives me nuts more than half the people on YouTube use a different name then they do on forums

yeah, as you saw, I used the same handle. I asked a similar question I asked you a while ago about performance using low voltage VERO COBs with higher currents versus higher voltage VERO COBs with lower currents to get the same wattage. I'll be getting my 1400ma drivers today from Arrow Electronics so I'm not planning on changing my plan at this point. I can put six 36v VEROs on one of the 320-1400 drivers.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Just placed an order for 20 BXRC-30G10K0-D-73-SE for 21.87 each plus $9 shipping...
VERO SE 29 Series 3000K 90 CRI min 10125 lm 37.6 V 3 SDCM Warm White

they said they had 42 in stock so there should be 22 left after my order.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

well, I added up everything I spent for my lighting, looks like I went over budget by $166 @ $1366 for 912 watts of VERO29s with the rail systems from rapid. If I built my own rail system, I would have saved $60 (definitely not worth saving the $60).

if I went with the PLC-6 units, it would have cost me $1600 for 1150watts, soooo, I don't know...

of course if I want more power output, I could change my drivers to 2100ma and get 1368 watts but I think I'm going to be fine with 912w

Last edited:
sixstring

sixstring

yeah man i think your gunna be happy as hell with 912w.i have 1060w of cree over a 4.5 x 12 area and it kills it over and over.thats just 30 cobs x 35w each.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

@sixstring I got my 20 COBs yesterday, they were in plastic tube container wrapped in a static bag. they looked like a stack of vanilla oreo cookies, lol ... can't wait to fire them sucker up. I have to get my bloom tent up and running in 6 weeks as I just started cloning this week for my next run...

sixstring

sixstring

@sixstring I got my 20 COBs yesterday, they were in plastic tube container wrapped in a static bag. they looked like a stack of vanilla oreo cookies, lol ... can't wait to fire them sucker up. I have to get my bloom tent up and running in 6 weeks as I just started cloning this week for my next run...
kickass,whats the eta on those heatsinks and frames ?

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

kickass,whats the eta on those heatsinks and frames ?
Tomorrow sometime before 8pm fedex

started assembling my bloom hydro system, got the buckets ready with all the ports drilled. just need to get the reservoir ready and connect all the tubing.

I should have the whole bloom tent ready for my next bloom cycle in six weeks.

I still have to harvest two plants while the clones are sprouting roots, should be next week...

I had to tie up my last two plants because the buds were too heavy and bending all over the place };-)

Top Bottom