Converting 5 Gal DWC to UC-Style

• Thread starter redwhiteblue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

Curious what the experts have to say about this idea - considering converting my 5 Gal DWC w/ feeding halo farm kits to UC.

This is for two commercial applications, one 30 light 1000W (already humming) and one 100 light 1000W which is being built as we speak. Would love to get rid of the dozens of air pumps/airstones and farm kits (in flower).

Any reasons not to do it? If it's a good idea, does anybody have a schematic they can provide me to build it and/or retrofit the existing system?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate everybody taking the time out of their busy days on their own farms.

Current Setup: each flower room is 10 x 1000W, 20 x 5 gal buckets, 100 gal res. 3/4" tubing to each bucket w/ overflow connected to Res. Each 5 gal bucket has a 10" netpot w/ hydroton and a recirculating farm kit halo dripper. Air stone in each bucket, 2 buckets per 4-hose air pump.

We grow O.G., the "$100 strain." We've had the cut for over 10 years. GH 3-part Nutes. EWC Microbe every 3 days @ 1 gal microbe per 10 gals Res.

TurboNugs

TurboNugs

No expert!

But! I would do some research on the uc system construction...ie round buckets will be hard to seal maybe. 5 gallon might not be enough room for good roots. Youll still have air pumps and stones just not alot of them. Im not saying it cant be done...but youll have some work and thinking ahead of you. If you do plan on converting please post pics so we can see your inventiveness.

Good luck man!

Amber

Amber

I tried this myself and although I have not finished a full run yet I can say I wish I would have purchased from Current Culture. It would have been cheaper considering all the modifications and remodifications and reremodifications....Current Culture has harmony and they offer it in a box.

Alice D

Alice D

I'm no expert either but what I've found is five gallon buckets aren't large enough containers because as the root system gets bigger & bigger it requires more & more oxygen & only having a 5 gallon bucket there is less water to supply this oxygen. Also I've noticed only being able to use 3/4" tube or PVC to connect the modules isn't large enough to get the flow you need & sometimes roots will fill and clog it. I tried a bucket system and it was more of a headache even though I did still work out a harvest it wasn't up to par,so to say. I suggest 2" minimum PVC with a 3/4" return & if your going to DIY at least 8 gallon containers.

redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

Thx for all your input. Ain't gonna change the system cause it works just fine, merely interested in figuring out if i can hot rod the 5 gals any more. trying to figure out the optimum system because the 5 gal buckets work fine in a small commercial scale but won't make sense when doing 100,000+ watts...

Top Bottom