Correcting Ph Of Runoff In Soil??

• Thread starter Irish063
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Irish063

Irish063

Shouldn't my runoff and my water be the same pH or relatively close?

Growing in soil (Black gold seedling mix)
18/6 light cycle- CFL and LED
(I was using a 600 hps after the seedling stage but i think it was making the area way to hot)
It's still to cold to go into the greenhouse here. Growing them in my closet right now and just added a humidifier. I'm in SW Colorado.
pH 6.5 tonight's watering.

I have some young plants that have been stunted (heat issue, and pH I'm guessing) for the last couple of weeks. They are just over a month old from sprouting. The plants started showing a deficiency/problem( new growth is neon yellow) about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I had done two rounds of 1/4 strength nute feedings (Age Old grow 12-6-6). They started showing this problem after the second feeding. So I have done just straight rain water the previous watering and tonight's watering.
Anyway, I finally got a ph tester and a ppm meter yesterday. pH'd the water to 6.5(1st time tonight). When I tested the runoff it was 7.5.
What would be the best way to fix this? Should I just use a stronger pH'd water on the next couple of waterings until it is balanaced? I saw in some other posts people have suggested dopamine lime.
I appreciate any help.
Signs are showing in all three stains
Pineapple haze and blueberry from ILGM.com
And AK 48 from nirvana

Correcting ph of runoff in soil
Last edited:
Juicebox

Juicebox

Most bagged soil has dolomite lime in it already but you should not be changing the ph of your water in soil...just leet it sit for 24 hours if its tap water then its good

Irish063

Irish063

Most bagged soil has dolomite lime in it already but you should not be changing the ph of your water in soil...just leet it sit for 24 hours if its tap water then its good
I haven't previously. Tonight was the first time.
I'm on well water that is extremely hard. I used RO water for the first few watering for this reason. The two feedings had about half RO and half well water. The last two have been just rain water to try and flush them if it was from the feedings.

Juicebox

Juicebox

have you ever tested your well water for ppm/ec? I know well water at my parents in laws farm is real high in sulfer

Irish063

Irish063

Are you ph ing your water...cause you should not mess with water ph in soil....the soil is supposed to buffer your ph
Really, I thought you were. When I have posted in the past( this is my second grow) I have been asked multiple times what the pH of my water was. I understand the soil and the microbes in it are suppose to help buffer pH fluctuations so the plant can thrive.

Irish063

Irish063

have you ever tested your well water for ppm/ec?
Not recently but it's pretty ridiculous and that's with a three stage filter on the house. I just got a ppm meter so I'll bee able to test in future waterings

Juicebox

Juicebox

I have never changed the ph of my water in soil it can cause trouble

Juicebox

Juicebox

I would wait and get a second opinion but .....as stated i never bother to ajust in soil and have no troubles.....im not familiar with that soil mix though....shitty soil wont buffer well

Juicebox

Juicebox

To me it looks like light bleach or iron def....but i would wait for more ppl to have a look

Irish063

Irish063

To me it looks like light bleach or iron def....but i would wait for more ppl to have a look
Thanks. Appreciate the help. I plan on going into FFOM on the next transplant. Just needed some starter mix for now. Yeah I figured a couple flush waterings, changing the light set up, getting some humidity back in there and then just some time but thought I'd get some opinions as well.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Are you ph ing your water...cause you should not mess with water ph in soil....the soil is supposed to buffer your ph
I used to think that aswell but its not true.not having a ph meter is what's led to this prob in first place.sure some people find they can get away with not useing a ph meter but unless your a master at mixing soils and if you use bottled nutes then it's always good to have a ph pen to hand to take away the guess work if nothing else.
As I say I used to think the same and while I did get decent harvests with no ph pen I found my plants were healthier more vigorous and FAR more productive when I was phing my nutes.the best results will always come wen ph is right.in my experience anyway .
I advise anyone who uses bottled nutes-organic or otherwise-to invest the extra in a good ph pen and I promise youl never regret it.

Dan789

Dan789

Best guess from me is that your hard well water and then the "rain" water are affecting the new growth. Also it may be whatever plant starter mix, wasn't optimum for MJ. The yellowing of the new growth is some type of lock out, or starvation but can't pin it to one thing (sulfur/ iron are suggested). Maybe a better pic and let us know what's the ppm of your water.
PS, I ph all the water/nutrients that I feed my plants with. Everything already in and added to the water affects the ph.

Irish063

Irish063

Best guess from me is that your hard well water and then the "rain" water are affecting the new growth. Also it may be whatever plant starter mix, wasn't optimum for MJ. The yellowing of the new growth is some type of lock out, or starvation but can't pin it to one thing (sulfur/ iron are suggested). Maybe a better pic and let us know what's the ppm of your water.
PS, I ph all the water/nutrients that I feed my plants with. Everything already in and added to the water affects the ph.
That's what I wasn't sure on. If it was some sort of lockout. The two feedings they had I used the age old and cal-mag. (Didn't have the pens then so I don't know the ppm's of those)
Watering last night measured 225 no nutes added. That was rain water from my rain barrel. I'll measure our well water later and I'll get some pics up tonight.

Irish063

Irish063

I used to think that aswell but its not true.not having a ph meter is what's led to this prob in first place.sure some people find they can get away with not useing a ph meter but unless your a master at mixing soils and if you use bottled nutes then it's always good to have a ph pen to hand to take away the guess work if nothing else.
As I say I used to think the same and while I did get decent harvests with no ph pen I found my plants were healthier more vigorous and FAR more productive when I was phing my nutes.the best results will always come wen ph is right.in my experience anyway .
I advise anyone who uses bottled nutes-organic or otherwise-to invest the extra in a good ph pen and I promise youl never regret it.
I thought it might help with the vigor since it would make things more available in the proper ph.

Irish063

Irish063

Better pics. These are two different trays.
They were transplanted from 3x3 pots into these 7x7's. Winithin 1 1/2 - 2 weeks of sprouting they already had roots frowijg out of the bottom of the previous pots, so i don't think the stunting is from bad genetics.

IMG 5393
IMG 5394
Last edited:
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
They were transplanted from 3x3 pots into these 7x7's. Winithin 1 1/2 - 2 weeks of sprouting they already had roots frowijg out of the bottom of the previous pots, so i don't think the stunting is from bad genetics.
Run off of 7.5 is high... water at 6.... but ideal you want 6.8 in and out.. and theyre probably Overwatered

Screenshot 2017 04 17 15 42 05
Irish063

Irish063

Run off of 7.5 is high... water at 6.... but ideal you want 6.8 in and out.. and theyre probably Overwatered
Thanks. That's what I wanted to double check. I've been watering them sparingly. I wait until the soil is dry at least a half to 3/4 inch below the surface and they feel super light.
I'll lower the ph on the next watering to 6 and check the runoff.
@GT21 did you mean 6.5? Going by the chart 6.8 in and out wouldn't allow for Iron, Boron, or Manganese to be available. I know those are needed in smaller amounts. Are they elements the microbes break down and the plants take up as needed?

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

They don't look great.are u letting the soil dry right out a good bit between watering ?keeping soil constantly moist can cause many a problem.

jipp

jipp

i cant read the small orange txt forget what the fuck you call them scientific acronyms. laughs..
i remember perodic tyable,, damn.. had to think,!

Latest posts

Top Bottom