Deficiency Issue - Need Advice

• Thread starter Knewnewp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Knewnewp

Knewnewp

Hey guys, long time reader first time poster. Just wanted to say thanks for all your contributions, I've learned a lot. I'm sorry if this post is in the wrong place or its been answered, but I was really hoping I could get a follower or two to help me a bit moving forward until I can get the issue resolved.

The baseline guide for my grow is the entry level CFL / Coco grow from growweedeasy.com. If there's any known issues or bad info in that guide that you're aware of plz let me know.

Here's the deal. I'm in week 6 of my first CFL / Coco grow, hell, first grow ever. I am using General Hydroponics Flora trio + CaliMagic. Will include graphic of my nute schedule. I've used nothing but 6.0ph water, draining to waste with 20% runoff and flushing every other water. The plants have also been fairly aggressively defoliated in week 4 and continually LST'd. I have substantial purpling/reddening in the main stems and in fan leave stems as well. As I understand it its a Mag / P / K deficiency. Mag being the transport nutrient def that would be locking out the P and K, or I also could have a P and K def on top of the mag def. Tell me if this is agreeable, as I don't believe it to be a PH lockout issue, I honestly think its just a def. Its coco / perlite 60/40 in 5g buckets that was rehydrated with PH'd water also.

I was initially inclined to think it was genetics and the strain was just throwing colors. Only when my other plant, a different strain (both unknown bagseed) started showing the same symptoms did I rule out genetics. It isn't nearly as advanced in the def, so my logic is it will take less nutes to get it back to healthy. Dig the pics and tell me if I'm wrong.

So, the information I couldn't find was a ratio not only for how much extra Mag / P / K to feed at the roots but also foliar. I followed my regular nute schedule and but added 1tsp of extra Calimagic and 1/2tsp extra of Flora Bloom which is 0-5-4 and watered as normal. I used a 50% strength for my foliar spray according to manufacturer recommendations. Hit it 1/15 and today 1/18.

I've heard from 24-72 hours to show signs of nutrient burn, I've seen none. I've also heard the signs of the def should clear up in a week or so. I've seen no sign of improvement. I found out the Calimagic should be first in the order that you mix your nutes, which I was doing last, so I believe I've been locking out the supplemental cal/mag the entire grow, hence the def.
Ultimately, here are my questions;

1. How much additional Mag / P / K should I be adding to my water at the roots and for foliar spray? I mix my nutes 1gal at a time, if that helps w/ the ratio.
2.How long will it take to see recovery of the purpling with the appropriate additional nutrients (if ever)?
3.How long until I would realistically see the first sign of nute burn?
4.Generally, how do I fix this w/o burning them and making it worse?
5.Feel free to critique my grow in any way also. Available funds being an issue but I need to prioritize what I'll be buying next also.

Thanks!

Deficiency issue   need advice
Deficiency issue   need advice 2
Deficiency issue   need advice 3
Deficiency issue   need advice 4
Deficiency issue   need advice 5
Drain to waste nutrient schedule custom
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Hey guys, long time reader first time poster. Just wanted to say thanks for all your contributions, I've learned a lot. I'm sorry if this post is in the wrong place or its been answered, but I was really hoping I could get a follower or two to help me a bit moving forward until I can get the issue resolved.

The baseline guide for my grow is the entry level CFL / Coco grow from growweedeasy.com. If there's any known issues or bad info in that guide that you're aware of plz let me know.

Here's the deal. I'm in week 6 of my first CFL / Coco grow, hell, first grow ever. I am using General Hydroponics Flora trio + CaliMagic. Will include graphic of my nute schedule. I've used nothing but 6.0ph water, draining to waste with 20% runoff and flushing every other water. The plants have also been fairly aggressively defoliated in week 4 and continually LST'd. I have substantial purpling/reddening in the main stems and in fan leave stems as well. As I understand it its a Mag / P / K deficiency. Mag being the transport nutrient def that would be locking out the P and K, or I also could have a P and K def on top of the mag def. Tell me if this is agreeable, as I don't believe it to be a PH lockout issue, I honestly think its just a def. Its coco / perlite 60/40 in 5g buckets that was rehydrated with PH'd water also.

I was initially inclined to think it was genetics and the strain was just throwing colors. Only when my other plant, a different strain (both unknown bagseed) started showing the same symptoms did I rule out genetics. It isn't nearly as advanced in the def, so my logic is it will take less nutes to get it back to healthy. Dig the pics and tell me if I'm wrong.

So, the information I couldn't find was a ratio not only for how much extra Mag / P / K to feed at the roots but also foliar. I followed my regular nute schedule and but added 1tsp of extra Calimagic and 1/2tsp extra of Flora Bloom which is 0-5-4 and watered as normal. I used a 50% strength for my foliar spray according to manufacturer recommendations. Hit it 1/15 and today 1/18.

I've heard from 24-72 hours to show signs of nutrient burn, I've seen none. I've also heard the signs of the def should clear up in a week or so. I've seen no sign of improvement. I found out the Calimagic should be first in the order that you mix your nutes, which I was doing last, so I believe I've been locking out the supplemental cal/mag the entire grow, hence the def.
Ultimately, here are my questions;

1. How much additional Mag / P / K should I be adding to my water at the roots and for foliar spray? I mix my nutes 1gal at a time, if that helps w/ the ratio.
2.How long will it take to see recovery of the purpling with the appropriate additional nutrients (if ever)?
3.How long until I would realistically see the first sign of nute burn?
4.Generally, how do I fix this w/o burning them and making it worse?
5.Feel free to critique my grow in any way also. Available funds being an issue but I need to prioritize what I'll be buying next also.

Thanks!
Do you ph that plain water cycle?
Whats temp and humidity like?

stonestacker

stonestacker

With coco you should never feed just water. you are actually flushing out old and inputting new with every feed that's why you water to runoff. In my opinion you have been starving your plants every other feeding.

Knewnewp

Knewnewp

Thanks for the replies dudes.

GT21 - Everything that goes on them has been 6.0 from the beginning. Temp is about 80 lights on and around 68-72 dark. Humidity is unknown as I need to get a hygrometer next week but I live in the midwest so RH in my area this time of year is about 50-70% so it should be acceptable. I do have a dehumidifier in there for late flower to push trichome production.What does temp/RH have to do with the def? Temps can exascerbate them but as I understand it, not rly cause it. I have a hygrometer/4" inline 100cfm fan / carbon filter coming to improve climate control and airflow/smell.

Stonestacker - As I understand it the real purpose behind alternating nutes and plain water, is to prevent the nutes from forming natural salts as they sit unused in the coco. They have been doing very well since the jump. Only noticed the purpling after they really kicked into flower.

So you're saying I don't need to use clean water to flush out the old nutes? ...makes sense, lol.

Look at the graphic of my nute schedule. If what you're saying is true, then you're right. Ive been underfeeding them.

So that begs the question, how much more of each nute should I be feeding with to bring them out of it?

stonestacker

stonestacker

Start feeding daily then slowly raise your ppm. until you see slight tip burn then back off.
So feed daily for a week and see then start to raise you ppm.

Knewnewp

Knewnewp

Awesome guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I'll do my best to burn em just a lil bit, lol. I'll follow up with pics in a week or so. Does anyone have a better baseline nute schedule for GH Flora trio or know anyone who might?

Thanks again homies. Keep your ears open and I'll let you know how things pan out.

Knewnewp

Knewnewp

So here's the skinny. Transitioned to all 2700k lights at around 25k Lumens. Added hygrometer / 4" inline 100cfm fan / carbon filter / pH meter / pH up.

So you guys were right on the money. I've been starving my girls. Increased nutes what I would consider very heavily, but gradually and held until I started to see burn on the leaf tips. Flushed, 2nd defoliation and now I'm back with the update and a new issue / questions.

Per ten gallons water I was at 13T (calimagic) 1-0-0. 3T (micro) 5-0-1. 1.5T (gro) 2-1-6. 13T (bloom) 0-5-4.

Explosive bud growth and some stretching. How much do I dial back my nutes ratio? I use the table in the pic as a baseline ratio and multiply. Cut what I'm at now to half? A fourth? No clue.

Also, my temp range is about 66-79F night/day. 40RH average. I have to keep the closet door open during the day or it gets over 90. I have about a 6" x 6" passive intake vent in the bottom right corner and the 4" 100cfm exhaust in the top left.

I'm planning on building a shelf unit with several PC fans pulling up to the exhaust and adding an active intake fan. Think this will be enough to bring the temp down ten degrees when the door is closed?

In short, how do I fix my temps?

How much do I cut my nute ratio now that they are healthy?

Thanks a million dudes.

IMG 20180210 185301
IMG 20180210 185412
IMG 20180210 185342
IMG 20180210 185329
Knewnewp

Knewnewp

Nice job broseph. The update looks amazing. Little leaf tip burn is cool. if they can hang at that nutrient level let them have it. To solve the heat get a portable ac unit and stick the hose in the side or get a bigger better inline fan. My indoor always had effcient window ac unit in the wall so i could control temps easy and cheap to run.

So here's the deal and why my problem is a little more unique. I'm in a small urban apartment. I've already pushed my luck cutting holes in stuff w/ the wife, lol, so what I have is what I have. It's nothing I can't repair but she's been cool af about the grow and even helps out a lot so, yeah. No more holes, lol.

I have a window ac unit and a dehumidifier sitting in there. I've seen guides to setup a window AC to run efficientlyish indoors but I've got no way to vent the heat, so I've got to make it work w/ airflow alone.

The problem is stealth and convenience. Someone has to be here at 8am and 8pm every day, and when the door is open the filter cant keep up so it gets skunky. 100 percent effective door closed.

My plan is to build a frame and put a box fan horizontal blowing up beneath the plants with a big reservoir for the dehumidifier, in addition to the the PC fans installed in the shelf pulling air up, move the 4" fan to active intake and get a bigger badder exhaust fan.
It'll be a vortex pulling cool air across the lights up and out. I'd have to get ten degrees out of that. My plan is to add the big exhaust fan, then the lower box fan, then the PC fan shelf if I have to.

Thoughts?

Knewnewp

Knewnewp

What kind of lights? I would flower with some high output t5 red spectrums bulbs or some low watt leds. This keeps things cooler.
They are cfl, all 2700k red spectrum I believe. I'm going to rock these until the wheels fall off while saving for a tent and a nice HPS. I'm going to redo the math for the Lumens and actually consider removing some lights.

At this point I think I'll have it about as perfect I can get for 350$ if I can get the temps right.

I was looking to do a citrus additive with a black strap molasses late flower. Any experience there?

iloveyoutoo

iloveyoutoo

They are cfl, all 2700k red spectrum I believe. I'm going to rock these until the wheels fall off while saving for a tent and a nice HPS. I'm going to redo the math for the Lumens and actually consider removing some lights.

At this point I think I'll have it about as perfect I can get for 350$ if I can get the temps right.

I was looking to do a citrus additive with a black strap molasses late flower. Any experience there?
u dont need a citrus additive, those are bogus.. and as far as heat u should try and use an AC, if u cant make anyother holes then just open the door and stick witht that.

Knewnewp

Knewnewp

I can't, smell is an issue. Small urban apartment. Door has to be closed for the filter to be effective.

Latest posts

Top Bottom