Double potting Smart Pots?

• Thread starter Texas Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Does anybody have experience double potting or up potting in Smart Pots?

I want to go from a 1 or 3 gallon Smart Pot to a 5 or 7 gallon Smart Pot without trying to remove the smaller Smart pot from the rootmass. I just want to transplant the entire pot into the next size up...

I've seen my brutha Coloradro do it I think but not sure of the success..

Tex

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter

I want to go from a 1 or 3 gallon Smart Pot to a 5 or 7 gallon Smart Pot without trying to remove the smaller Smart pot from the rootmass. I just want to transplant the entire pot into the next size up...

Tex

This is the second time in 24 hours someone has posted a question that I was also thinking. Great minds think alike. I've got some kushes flowering in 3g smartpots that I'd like to put in 7g pots.

outwest

green punk

green punk

I thought the reason to use them is they promote root pruning.

true grit

true grit

Yeah i don't think even rootbound I'd get enough root mass on the outside of the pot to utillize the next size up. Then again the extra moisture with another pot may allow that to happen.

Are you flowering TK? If not, i'd just cut off the smaller pot with scissors, shave some roots with a knife and up pot. Or...makes vertical slits through the smaller smart pot and up pot that way shit can spill into the next one.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
They would still air prune at the outter edge of each pot but I don't kniw if after you totally enclose them in soil again if the roots take off to the next airpot and then air prune again at the outter skin of the next one.....

I'll know before long in a side by side

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I top fed a half gallon of super soil to otherwise unamended soil in 3 gallon pots at the start of flower 2 weeks ago. I'm thinking they'll need more super soil. When you say to make the vertical slits, is this all the way down the sides (from top to bottom) in several places? Danks.

outwest

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Im not in flower with these yet...

Id like to veg outdoor plants in smartpots as well before goin into the ground..

420bliss

420bliss

im doin it to one of my outdoor plants, im using square root aeration containers and i read somewhere that they arnt supposed to be transplanted instead they are supposed to be doubled potted so im givin it a shot, i went from a 3 gallon into a 30

Reactions: mal
true grit

true grit

Nice info Outwest sounds bout right. even in my beds when they are in tables and theres moisture in the bottom of tables i still barely get roots outta the pot.

When i was talking bout slits, yes I'd make very care vertical slits from top to bottom in several places to let the media "splill" into the next smart pot.

I veg in hard containers and I pull plants out and cut off 1" or so of rootbound growth with no issues so i wouldn't worry about it in veg, won't do any damage. In flower im def more delicate with the root growth, so just be careful making the slits.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
What she said was that the fabric is not intended for healthy root penetration. Thanks for the advice, TG.

outwest

ShivaSkunkPunk

ShivaSkunkPunk

Howdy Gang, last summer I did jus this outside with amazing results. I had a young seed plant end up being a male so I yanked him and simply placed another lady in a 1 gal smart pot right on top of the now vacated 1 gal smartpot and with a week the roots had grown so strong into the new pot I was able to lift the plant by the stalk up off the ground for my own viewing pleasure.

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

Tex
you could maybe just set the old pot on top of the new, i don't know if i'd bury the old pot in dirt though,

have you heard of geo pots? they make velcro transplanters that work fantastic, they have a velcro strip on one side that makes it super easy to remove from the bag, they run from 1-7 gallon sizes.

sox

sox

They will grow through...as long as there is some kind of suction or something...I know last year my Blue Dream would push her roots straight through if i let her pot touch this mound of dirt next to it...(i had them above ground on a huge lava rock bed i dug out for drainage)

socalval

socalval

i just did it took my 1 and putt her into a three took a week to get settled but seems to work well. ill be putting the 3 into a 12 outside in a few days .

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

It's the air on the outside of the pot that causes it to root prune. Roots will forsure grow thru the pot, but I would be surprised if it would be growing as efficiently as one that had been actually transplanted...

cannabeans

cannabeans

but I would be surprised if it would be growing as efficiently as one that had been actually transplanted...

If you factor the stress that is caused by repotting the plant.... I have never seen a plant while repotting, with the smartpot on, wilt at all. I have repotted in the heat of the day and put directly into the sun. Havent lost a plant this way yet!

Top Bottom