Fair salary for head grower?

• Thread starter DeezNugzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DeezNugzz

Hello farmer's. Especially you farmer's in Colorado. I have a question that I would like some input on. I invite those of you who are currently engaged in "the biz" in Colorado of Medical Marijuana to respond with honest opinions (or anyone for that matter). What do you all think is a fair salary for a head grower in a legit Medical Marijuana warehouse that is producing consistent, high end product? You see so many ads now for "head grower" or "lead grower" on Craigslist and what not and I'm curious to know what this community thinks about a salary for an individual who is responsible for overseeing daily operations of a warehouse and its hundred's of plants that require much attention and knowledge of different systems, insects control, insecticides and what they do to bug's and people, building and electrical experience, etc (you know if you've done it). Let's keep in mind the "employers" do have overhead like state licensing fees, application fees, fee fee's, electrical/ water bills, warehouse lease, dispensary lease, more fees, husbandry license, fire marshall this, zoning that, etc; what should a warehouse manager/ head grower get paid? Anyone? I just need to hear what other people think about this. And I'm talking salary here not price per pound. A salary could include a bonus structure. I wonder what an average "warehouse manager" makes. Or a normal horticulturist in a regular greenhouse? Would this apply to a modern day Medical Marijuana warehouse manager? I am also aware that some of you out there would love it if there were no dispensaries or warehouses and get that and understand that completely. But I have my reasons for wanting some educated opinions and I'm going to leave it at that. So what do you think? Let's throw out the random number of $50,000. Maybe a bonus structure. Maybe not. Is that a fair salary?

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
My best advice is to get outta the "biz" and get back in the "game"...

Salaries are tricky and most also tag it to production, I have seen anywhere from $400-$1000 per pound of total output of the operation for the head guy and the rest are on the clock.

$50,000 a year is not even remotely worth it if your a grower, you can do that in a month out here right now.

Tex

rockymtnbuds

rockymtnbuds

Nice timing on this thread, I just got offered a job as head grower. Its not something I have any desire to jump back into but because I have a lot of respect for this guy I told him I'd think it over and give him an answer by the weekend. He's offering $1500 a week with a review/raise in 6 months. He has a couple of drones who are hourly so it wouldn't be a bad gig but I have to many perks on my day job to just walk away from it. Then again, with less than 5 years till retirement this could sure but a dent in the balance on my mortgage.

B

bckwht

I have actually been looking at houses in Colorado and norcal recently. Anyways i plan to live a low key lifestyle, and would love to become as self sufficient as possible. I know its not the same as a huge warehouse manager but if making 50k a year from growing my medical garden that produces top shelf flowers/concentrates is rather possible, then count me in. Cannot imagine being able to have access to some of the best hunting/fishing/outdoorsmen activities AND be able to live in harmony with my plants!

M

maestro

I've turned down 100k+ a year salary offers from several of the maggots! So has just about every grower worth half a fuck in CO! They can't make money without skills of growin. I've recently been offered a Corvette n 10k from a very popular outfit just for cuts of some of my best work....they can suck me too! Fuck dispensaries! They they can learn this art themselvesf they wanna play in the mean time um I'm drivin to the bank.............FUCK every little faggot sell out mother fucker with any skills workin for them as thier growers too. You can slit your own throat with the brains God gave ya n make cash off of sick helpless people but you go threatenin mine, you just may have problems roll your way.

sky high

sky high

If ya have to ask such questions yer in over yer head from the get-go, DeezNuggz...

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
No 40 hour a week gig either, more like 60-80+ when it gets down to it...

And still no one has their actual liscence from the state, so your job my be gone tomorrow or at anytime.

It would suck to get caught up in a federal RICO or Conspirosy charges because you are running and are present at a full blown commercial grow op. The feds are not going to care that you just work there, just imagine gettin federal time for a $20 and hour job...that would suck

Tex

K

kolah

No 40 hour a week gig either, more like 60-80+ when it gets down to it...

And still no one has their actual liscence from the state, so your job my be gone tomorrow or at anytime.

It would suck to get caught up in a federal RICO or Conspirosy charges because you are running and are present at a full blown commercial grow op. The feds are not going to care that you just work there, just imagine gettin federal time for a $20 and hour job...that would suck

This! ........just too big a risk, IMO.

M

maestro

Tex is right....as the "head" grower you could easily be made the fall guy n do most the time even if they made a fraction thier cash.....its a bullshit scapegoat all should be very aware of. Ha ha ha I'm not workin 20 hours a week for anyone for any amount of cash.... I'm busy spoonin my bong, walkin the dogs, chasin tail,fishin or just doing my best to be HAPPY....imo God blessed me with the herbs so that I may be free to pursue happiness.

Ya got skills to pay the bills n ya really want the head aches, a person could lead a
MULTIPLE warehouse operation just from the phone. Trust me the center is HARD to hold on to. Nahhhhh I'll stay teeny tiny in snuggle up in this beautiful state with a handful of bros I trust. Not in it for the cash at all....just love blowing smoke. Once my old angry eyes are squinty n bleeding I'm lookin to wet a hook or scoot about the hillside in just absorb the awesome vibe here...........RASTA is where its at.............

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Ha ha ha I'm not workin 20 hours a week for anyone for any amount of cash.... I'm busy spoonin my bong, walkin the dogs, chasin tail,fishin or just doing my best to be HAPPY

That's the ticket right there!!!

Tex

B

bckwht

Maestro you got it right thats for sure, hopefully sooner than later ill be able to experience that kind of peaceful life..would love nothing more than to be able to get up early n water my girls, walk the bully, and head down to favorite stream

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Just think....$50,000 a year, even if its 40 hours only your at $25 bucks an hour.....BEFORE TAXES!!! goin to be more like $38,000-$42,000 take home at best...I just got the chills...lol...that is what they call a J O B

Not for me and my bruthas

Tex

M

maestro

Yah
had a J O B n a damn W I F E before I learned my lessons. We all make mistakes. Gotta find the strength to move on. ha ha

D

DeezNugzz

Thank you for your responses. I doubt this discussion is over. My background: A successful framing contractor who subsidized his income with the joys of growing. Then the economy fell out in my beautiful southwestern Colorado town, couldn't pay my mortgage, had a hard time looking my wife and two kids in the eye, started drinking heavily, lost my home, went into bankruptcy, basically lost it all, almost got divorced (starting to believe in a higher power since I didn't) and now I'm in Denver trying to make it in this racket working mad hours and not making even close to fifty g's. I'm good at what I do, but that doesn't seem to matter so I'm thinking about renegotiating but I feel it will only end in biz divorce. Stuck between a rock and a hardplace. at the end of the day I have the love and support of my family, and some killer cuts. I've learned a lot in the past couple years, and its the family and love that matters the most. I'm just trying to pay some bills and keep a roof over my family's head in a legit fashion. Ain't it a bitch in this here mother fucker. Damn son. Now I got the blues. That's when I wish I could play me some guitar...Grow hard farmer's, and don't let the Jones's get you down!:banana1sv6: I'm not laying down quietly

W

winterykiss

Hey All, i am sure a small fish in a very large pond and now only grow for my personel use and a few freinds who are too sick to do much any more. Nothing is worth giving up your freedom!!! Seven years was taken from my life because i thought i knew it all and was smarter then any other grower.
Family, freinds and freedom are more important then any amount of money. Staying under the radar is what it is about for me at this point in my life. Smoking the best herb in the world is a great satisfaction for me. Knowing how to fly doesn't mean ya have to cruise at thirty seven thousand feet.

I send my very best to all you farmers. Even an old dog can learn a new tricks or two, as i have been growing for 30 years and there is always something new and interesting here at the FARM.

PEACE&LOVE always

WinteryKiss

G

gettogro

Any decent grower can easily make 100k+ part time in a garage or basement anywhere in co. I don't see how anyone would ever want to own or work in a dispensary.
Your best bet is to find someone fresh out of college with no connections and no startup money. Then you could train them accordingly. I dont think there is any salary that I would trade my part time job and my 60+ days on the hill. An awesome grower can pull down 25 lbs every 60 days. Thats .41 lbs a day, there are many dispensary's that dont even sell that much.

I agree with Tex drop the biz and get in the "game"

D

DoobyScoo

now I'm in Denver trying to make it in this racket working mad hours and not making even close to fifty g's. I'm good at what I do, but that doesn't seem to matter so I'm thinking about renegotiating but I feel it will only end in biz divorce. Stuck between a rock and a hardplace.

Sounds like the rat race to me! Denver is full of them, from all over the country, and you have no idea WTF they are doing with your work, who they consort with, ect...
50k, for a decent Disp and you're getting ripped off.
People make more than that building patient and caregiver gardens.
If wiffie doesn't have a job, she needs one too. Tough economic times call for tough measures. If you kids are old enough, they need to work too.
You'll be back on your feet in a year if you work hard and smart.
I know some people say they won't go after the 'gardner', but shit, wife and kids. If they think you know something, they have leverage.
You think all these 200+ light operations are just going through the front door? Some yes, all, no way Jose.
Still, the Mexican Cartels and Int'l Criminal Organizations that use weed money to further fund their other illegitimate enterprises, political aspirations and take that money straight out of the US Economy seem to be taking more of the focus of the Feds than your average Dispensary.
I guess it all depends on how you perceive the risk of your two options.

I don't like rats myself, I rather hide with the mice.

And what if the Republicans get Rick Perry in the White House? 2013 is coming up fast.

putembk

putembk

Great info guys. I think I'll just stick to my 6 plants and enjoy my hobby and retirement. Besides, when I was first learning to grow I would go to a dispensary and always try to get info from the grower. He was easy to find. He was the one who looked like he hadn't slept or taken a shower for a week. I AIN'T GONNA WORK THAT HARD ANY MORE!!!

T

TreFarmer

I met a guy that fit this "lead-grower" description, his name is Patsy McFallguy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom