Grinding Before Blasting?

• Thread starter dabarino
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Here's the whole patty in the light.
Not sure why I just didn't do this in the 1st photo.
View attachment 664958
I like this single dab better than the first one...
Images 2

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

Without lab grade equipment and multiple (terpene destroying) washes, iso is inherently unhealthy. Home extractions of iso should be the last option of the desperate and only for a one time thing.

Ethanol is the go to for clean and healthy, home kitchen extractions.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Without lab grade equipment and multiple (terpene destroying) washes, iso is inherently unhealthy. Home extractions of iso should be the last option of the desperate and only for a one time thing.

Ethanol is the go to for clean and healthy, home kitchen extractions.

400 ppm averaged over an 8 hr period is the permissible lower exposure limit on isopropyl alcohol.
It's pretty easy to get down that low or lower with proper technique.

Your body can handle small amounts of isopropyl alcohol. In fact, your kidneys remove approximately 20 to 50 percent of IPA from your body. The rest is broken down into acetone by enzymes known as alcohol dehydrogenases. This acetone is filtered out of your body through the lungs or kidneys.

However, when you ingest more IPA than your body can manage (which occurs around 200 mL for an adult), poisoning can occur.

manufacturers add chemicals to make rubbing alcohol extremely bitter and undrinkable. These additives include sucrose octaacetate and denatonium benzoate. Neither chemical is toxic; indeed, small quantities of denatonium benzoate can be put on a child’s thumb to prevent her from sucking it.

Sucrose octaacetate is an acetylated derivative of sucrose. It is used commercially and industrially in a variety of applications. It is used as an inert ingredient in pesticides and herbicides. As of December 2005 sucrose octaacetate was determined by the EPA to be completely nonharmful as an ingredient in pesticides.[2]
Sucrose octaacetate has been approved by the FDA as a food additive. It has a bitter taste which has led to its use as bitterant and an aversive agent. The chemical has also been used to determine tasters from non-tasters in mice.[3].

Denatonium benzoate is one of the most bitter substances known. Just a few parts per million will make a product so bitter that children and pets will not be able to swallow it. Denatonium benzoate makes sweet but highly toxic products such as antifreeze and detergents taste foul. Research shows that people can detect denatonium benzoate in water at 50 parts per billion. Denatonium benzoate is bitter at 1 to 10 ppm and most products will become undrinkable at 30 to 100 ppm. Denatonium benzoate is also stable and inert. In addition, so little is needed that the properties of the product remain unchanged.

Both the National Safety Council and the American Medical Association recommend adding denatonium benzoate to products that are defined as mild to moderately toxic. Some countries, such as France, have made denatonium benzoate mandatory in antifreeze. Others such as Italy have made denatonium benzoate the number one denaturant for ethanol. The State of Oregon has required that it be added to antifreeze and windshield wiper fluid since 1995. We offer denatonium benzoate in powder form, both technical and pharmaceutical grade, and in a granular form (technical grade only). Your best source for denatonium benzoate is Aversion Technologies, the world’s only company dedicated to the supply of products to protect people, plants and pets.

Last edited:
Douglas.C

Douglas.C

and, a small whiff of hot iso fumes will cause nosebleeds and weak mucus membranes in the nose for weeks. I stand by my previous statement.

Unless you're going to tell me you only do one dab of iso, and that's it. Iso damage is accumulative, vs ethanol damage which heals over time.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
400 ppm averaged over an 8 hr period is the permissible lower exposure limit on isopropyl alcohol.
It's pretty easy to get down that low or lower with proper technique.

Your body can handle small amounts of isopropyl alcohol. In fact, your kidneys remove approximately 20 to 50 percent of IPA from your body. The rest is broken down into acetone by enzymes known as alcohol dehydrogenases. This acetone is filtered out of your body through the lungs or kidneys.

However, when you ingest more IPA than your body can manage (which occurs around 200 mL for an adult), poisoning can occur.

manufacturers add chemicals to make rubbing alcohol extremely bitter and undrinkable. These additives include sucrose octaacetate and denatonium benzoate. Neither chemical is toxic; indeed, small quantities of denatonium benzoate can be put on a child’s thumb to prevent her from sucking it.

Sucrose octaacetate is an acetylated derivative of sucrose. It is used commercially and industrially in a variety of applications. It is used as an inert ingredient in pesticides and herbicides. As of December 2005 sucrose octaacetate was determined by the EPA to be completely nonharmful as an ingredient in pesticides.[2]
Sucrose octaacetate has been approved by the FDA as a food additive. It has a bitter taste which has led to its use as bitterant and an aversive agent. The chemical has also been used to determine tasters from non-tasters in mice.[3].

Denatonium benzoate is one of the most bitter substances known. Just a few parts per million will make a product so bitter that children and pets will not be able to swallow it. Denatonium benzoate makes sweet but highly toxic products such as antifreeze and detergents taste foul. Research shows that people can detect denatonium benzoate in water at 50 parts per billion. Denatonium benzoate is bitter at 1 to 10 ppm and most products will become undrinkable at 30 to 100 ppm. Denatonium benzoate is also stable and inert. In addition, so little is needed that the properties of the product remain unchanged.

Both the National Safety Council and the American Medical Association recommend adding denatonium benzoate to products that are defined as mild to moderately toxic. Some countries, such as France, have made denatonium benzoate mandatory in antifreeze. Others such as Italy have made denatonium benzoate the number one denaturant for ethanol. The State of Oregon has required that it be added to antifreeze and windshield wiper fluid since 1995. We offer denatonium benzoate in powder form, both technical and pharmaceutical grade, and in a granular form (technical grade only). Your best source for denatonium benzoate is Aversion Technologies, the world’s only company dedicated to the supply of products to protect people, plants and pets.
I hit a dab of qwet that was still runny and it made me feel drunk and dizzy for a minute and blurred my vision.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I hit a dab of qwet that was still runny and it made me feel drunk and dizzy for a minute and blurred my vision.

Gotta make sure it's purged lol.

I purge it on low for a long time and if I take it off the heat and remains gooey I put it back on.

I'll turn the water in the water bath to boiling this time and the oil thins down and allows the final bubbles to pop. The thin film low temp gets most of it. But the 5 mins over boiling water seems to finish it off turning it to shatter.

If it's not shatter when cooled down it needs to be purged longer or temp needs to rise.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Gotta make sure it's purged lol.

I purge it on low for a long time and if I take it off the heat and remains gooey I put it back on.

I'll turn the water in the water bath to boiling this time and the oil thins down and allows the final bubbles to pop. The thin film low temp gets most of it. But the 5 mins over boiling water seems to finish it off turning it to shatter.

If it's not shatter when cooled down it needs to be purged longer or temp needs to rise.
I use little to no heat and mine turns to a wax consistancy after a few days under a fan blowing up helping evaporate, makes for super terpy low temp dabs. I also freeze the stuff Im extracting when its not quite fully dry just as the stems start to snap, it seems to help extract only the stuff I want.

D

dabarino

@Douglas.C theres is no special lab equipment need to properly purge ISO from oil Haha ISO can be purged very easily with low or even high to just thin film air purging.. if you have a problem with ISO great I don't really care just don't come here and start spreading your "alternative facts"! Haha

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

Talk to sam the skunkman, who's tested more iso oil than anyone I know. Every single sample of iso, no matter how cleanly washed, tests positive for iso.

Did you gloss over the "accumulative" damage?

dan1989

dan1989

How about a grinding board as opposed to a coffee grinder? You can put the blade in the freezer after and peel the resin off later.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

"alternative facts"! Haha
I believe you meant "truths you'd rather ignore." Right?

Isopropyl, unlike ethanol, causes irritation of the respiratory system, damage to the central nervous system, and is classified in Group 3 by IARC. IARC is the International Agency for Research on Cancer, an agency of the World Health Organization (WHO). IARC's mission is to co-ordinate and conduct research on the causes of human cancer and to develop scientific strategies for cancer prevention and control.

In comparison, the IARC has tested ethanol extensively and has zero concern for it.

On the original topic, has anyone used one of these grinders for cannabis? Waring WSG30 Spice Grinder

D

dabarino

"Talk to sam the skunkman, who's tested more iso oil than anyone I know. Every single sample of iso, no matter how cleanly washed, tests positive for iso."

I've never seen a batch of oil that didn't have any trace amount of solvent in it either... what's your point small amount under 400 ppm daily intake have been proven to be safe..name one case of someone being poisoned from smoking ISO oil? Just one

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Isopropyl Alcohol Inhalation: Alternative Treatment of Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting

http://journals.lww.com/nursingrese...propyl_Alcohol_Inhalation__Alternative.9.aspx

Background: The mechanisms for postoperative nausea and vomiting are numerous and pathways not well elucidated. Although many medications have been developed to help prevent postoperative nausea and vomiting, the search for better approaches to recovery treatment continues.

Objective: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of isopropyl alcohol (IPA) inhalation for treatment of postoperative nausea and vomiting for patients who have general anesthesia for a surgical procedure.

Method: Participants were recruited from an urban hospital on the East Coast of the United States. Participants were assigned to an experimental or control group and IPA inhalation was compared to the standard anti-emetic treatment for rescue treatment in the immediate postoperative period. Postoperative nausea and vomiting was rated using a descriptive ordinal scale.

Results: The results of this study show IPA to be effective and that there was no significant difference between the standard treatment protocol and treatment with IPA. Treatment with IPA was significantly more cost effective than standard drug treatment.

Discussion: Further research is recommended to evaluate the length of effectiveness, standard dose needed, most effective mode of inhalation, and factors blocking IPA effectiveness.

grayarea

grayarea

dry sift out all the green and its way better every time. shouldn't need to be said though.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

Isopropyl Alcohol Inhalation: Alternative Treatment of Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting

http://journals.lww.com/nursingrese...propyl_Alcohol_Inhalation__Alternative.9.aspx
Yes, proposed due to it only being used perhaps a few times in the history of a patient. Doctors routinely prescribe drugs and treatments which harm the patient in various ways, they deem the good to outweigh the damage. Again, for short treatment periods.

When it becomes a case where the treatment will be frequent or for extended periods of time, doctors try to look for less damaging methods of treating their patients. Daily dabber or medicinal user? Skip the iso, go for ethanol. Zero risk of long term use causing harm.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Yes, proposed due to it only being used perhaps a few times in the history of a patient. Doctors routinely prescribe drugs and treatments which harm the patient in various ways, they deem the good to outweigh the damage. Again, for short treatment periods.

When it becomes a case where the treatment will be frequent or for extended periods of time, doctors try to look for less damaging methods of treating their patients. Daily dabber or medicinal user? Skip the iso, go for ethanol. Zero risk of long term use causing harm.
Do you own a liquor store?

Dunge

Dunge

I apologize if I missed it, but what are best practices for ethanol extraction?
And as to purging isopropanol, how does one know when enough is enough?

Top Bottom