Help On Cob Design For 2x4

• Thread starter Shan1784
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shan1784

Hello from Michigan! Hopefully we will be req legal on Nov 6 which is when the big vote takes place. So in preparations I decided to start looking at designing a grow room. I have a beautiful spot in my basement. We have a shelter under our pourch. Put in as a tornado shelter but am going to repurpose half as a grow room.

As it pertains to lighting, I’ll have enough room for (to start and get my feet wet) a 2x4 area to grow 3 maybe 4 plants. I was thinking they would be lined up in row.

First thought is 4 COD, 1 over each plant. Would that work?

Looking for same fixture for start to finish (veg to flower).

I’d like to yield as much as possible of course.

Don’t want to break the bank but also have a lot of time to gather parts to put a COB fixture together.

I’m thinking the 4 x Vero 29 3000k 90cri from the reading I’ve done. No clue on the driver. Plan is for it to be able to add to it to expand for more plants down the road.

Can someone supply some knowledge to if this is doable and what driver(s) I would need to get the best yield for that setup?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Chinese have some good qbs and veros, for 2x4 area there are some 2x2 fixtures that are advertised as 900w and supposedly puts out 114000 lumens on aliexpress, worth looking into. They are about 600 to 800 $ they came with drivers and everything. I was looking into these was not sure about the quality maybe someone could enlighten us. If these are any good you can get a 600w which, again supposedly, puts out 72000 lumens, they post ppfd values too which looks good if true.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

If height in that space is not a problem then go with the cobs or strip build, if you have height restrictions then strips.
I'd stay away from the Chinese lights.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
If height in that space is not a problem then go with the cobs or strip build, if you have height restrictions then strips.
Every light you get anywhere are chinese built. They claim they use the same diodes and drivers, they are knock offs basically from the same factory that produces for the original company which sells it for 3 times the price.
If anyone has real experience ordering those i would like to hear those. I don’t want to hijack the thread too so please only answer if you have any real experience. Thanks.

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

Chinese have some good qbs and veros, for 2x4 area there are some 2x2 fixtures that are advertised as 900w and supposedly puts out 114000 lumens on aliexpress, worth looking into. They are about 600 to 800 $ they came with drivers and everything. I was looking into these was not sure about the quality maybe someone could enlighten us. If these are any good you can get a 600w which, again supposedly, puts out 72000 lumens, they post ppfd values too which looks good if true.

HLG 550 v2 are pretty nice. Lumens are kind of a myth. Umoles/s m2 and umoles per jule/watt is more important...the light energy and kelvin are the 2 most important. Cri is also important....which i believe correlate each other...lol
Hello from Michigan! Hopefully we will be req legal on Nov 6 which is when the big vote takes place. So in preparations I decided to start looking at designing a grow room. I have a beautiful spot in my basement. We have a shelter under our pourch. Put in as a tornado shelter but am going to repurpose half as a grow room.

As it pertains to lighting, I’ll have enough room for (to start and get my feet wet) a 2x4 area to grow 3 maybe 4 plants. I was thinking they would be lined up in row.

Don’t want to break the bank but also have a lot of time to gather parts to put a COB fixture together.

I’m thinking the 4 x Vero 29 3000k 90cri from the reading I’ve done. No clue on the driver. Plan is for it to be able to add to it to expand for more plants down the road.

Can someone supply some knowledge to if this is doable and what driver(s) I would need to get the best yield for that setup?

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/hps-vs-cmh-vs-led.95446/unread

Thats a good thread to look through. The op has

knowledge in that dept

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
HLG 550 v2 are pretty nice. Lumens are kind of a myth. Umoles/s m2 and umoles per jule/watt is more important...the light energy and kelvin are the 2 most important. Cri is also important....which i believe correlate each other...lol
I agree on lumens. These chips have good spectrum for plants so lumens can be taken seriously with cobs and qbs to a point but on the other hand if you take an hps and a led light, thats why 400w leds equals to 600-1000w hps. Hps emits mostly yellow which doesn’t correspond to most of the photosynthetic peaks.

S

Shan1784

So after some digging and suggestion from other forum I’m looking at pulling the trigger on 2x qb304 in 2700k and 3x qb96 in 5000k. All in the Samsung 561c leds.

I was going to put the 3 qb96 boards with 2 on end of each qb288 and one between them. Hoping to get good veg and flower coverage.

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

Are quantum and HLG the same thing?
I agree on lumens. These chips have good spectrum for plants so lumens can be taken seriously with cobs and qbs to a point but on the other hand if you take an hps and a led light, thats why 400w leds equals to 600-1000w hps. Hps emits mostly yellow which doesn’t correspond to most of the photosynthetic peaks.

So after some digging and suggestion from other forum I’m looking at pulling the trigger on 2x qb304 in 2700k and 3x qb96 in 5000k. All in the Samsung 561c leds.

I was going to put the 3 qb96 boards with 2 on end of each qb288 and one between them. Hoping to get good veg and flower coverage.

P

Pass2TheLeft

LED maker Cree, Inc. has agreed to purchase a 592,000-square-foot facility in Huizhou, Guangdong Province, China, which will be the company's first chip-production facility outside of North America. More than half of Cree's employees work in China, mostly at the current Huizhou factory. Sorry bro couldnt help point out where most the best lights are actually made lmfao

S

Shan1784

I was going to put the 3 qb96 boards with 1 on end of each qb288 and one between them. Hoping to get good veg and flower coverage.

So looking for feedback on this. Do the color temps and QB boards I picked out look like it would be a good setup for 2 or 3 plants? Just need help picking out drivers to run them if it looks good.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Sure, Here's and advanced lighting DXML 150. 5 years of off and on use with burnt out drivers and chips.
DSCN0812

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
So looking for feedback on this. Do the color temps and QB boards I picked out look like it would be a good setup for 2 or 3 plants? Just need help picking out drivers to run them if it looks good.
Meanwell drivers are pretty standard for these setups. It is enough for a start imo. 2-3 plants will be happy under those.

Monster762

Monster762

What you mean by break bank? I think qbs would rock that 2x4. I just got 2 hlg 100 and it is a world of difference. I got 300w cob too. Cob seems to ( maybe) penetrate more but the spread and how even the light is on the qbs is much better. Expensive way be about $300 for light. Or amazon has a kit for diy where you get 4 70w boards for $125 then just get driver seperate. I’m no good At figuring what matches what so I just bought the lights with drivers. But they claim 2x2 flower coverage each n I believe em for once.

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

Based on what @heisenbubble has going, cobs are badass. I am sold!!!
Hlg has good products...i dont believe its chinese...they assemble just about all of their products here in the usa..fuck china!!
What you mean by break bank? I think qbs would rock that 2x4. I just got 2 hlg 100 and it is a world of difference. I got 300w cob too. Cob seems to ( maybe) penetrate more but the spread and how even the light is on the qbs is much better. Expensive way be about $300 for light. Or amazon has a kit for diy where you get 4 70w boards for $125 then just get driver seperate. I’m no good At figuring what matches what so I just bought the lights with drivers. But they claim 2x2 flower coverage each n I believe em for once.

sixstring

sixstring

good choice,should be awesome :cool:

S

Shan1784

Lol I’m all over the place on this now. So now thinking of running different stations. T5’s for seedlings, 2 x qb304 at 4000k for veg and then another station setup for flower running 2 c qb304’s at 2700k. Will be only 2 plants at each station at a time. Sound like a plan? Will this yield pretty good bud considering just this light setup?

S

Shan1784

i would use qb96 or qb 120/132 for veg over t5. 20w per sq ft veg and 30-40w per sq ft for flowering is plenty of light with these qb and cod,although i prefer halibut :cool:
You think the 304’s are overkill? I was wanting some cushion in case I ever wanted to do more plants.

As far as the watts per square foot I would need to match the drivers to get that right?

I was thinking about 2x3 for each station with partitions put in to divide up the stations.

Top Bottom