Hid Vs Led - Best Thing I Have Ever Seen

• Thread starter OldManRiver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Freshone

Freshone

Damn, that's crazy. I wish my 1000W HPS bill was $50 per month. My bill went up $250. Sticker shock to say the least. I'm considering QB or COB because of it. I haven't made up my mind yet of the two.
Yeah i dont think people realize that the region you live in affects you as a grower in so many ways from electrical cost to different environmental issues to the value of your product itself.

Phylex

Phylex

Yeah i dont think people realize that the region you live in affects you as a grower in so many ways from electrical cost to different environmental issues to the value of your product itself.
True Story

3 balls

3 balls

That calculator is awesome, I added to my favorites. What really jumped out to me was I'm not estimating nearly enough for AC. In other words, I thought my lights were about 90% of my consumption but it's closer to 70%. Of course there's the inline fans, dehue's and carbon filter scrubbers as well but AC is a monster. Any calculators for that?

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

That calculator is awesome, I added to my favorites. What really jumped out to me was I'm not estimating nearly enough for AC. In other words, I thought my lights were about 90% of my consumption but it's closer to 70%. Of course there's the inline fans, dehue's and carbon filter scrubbers as well but AC is a monster. Any calculators for that?
Nothing that I have seen.

F

FutureGrower

Yeah.....Just like the Owner of Fox Farm did....Monsanto SUX!

Man I didnt even know about fox farms. They're no dummies they know where the money is unfortunately. I just hope they don't impact us like they did traditional ag. Guess that's what grow your own means.

I've never used fox farms either so that's good atleast lol

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Man I didnt even know about fox farms. They're no dummies they know where the money is unfortunately. I just hope they don't impact us like they did traditional ag. Guess that's what grow your own means.

No..FF DID NOT..In fact they published a letter saying they stopped dealing with a certain huge company when it was bought out.

Dan789

Dan789

Regarding A/C power usage, that’s a big variable and you’d have to know what it draws, guess how long and how many times it comes on during one hour, then extrapolate that into hours per day. I use “excel” where I just plug in all the various loads, hours per day, multiplied by the lengths of my veg and bloom phases.
As I also pay higher utilities to live in California, I also adopted solar PV for the roof. I got tired of the rates going up every year, prior to growing we averaged (averaged for entire year, instead of getting a few months when it was 100 degrees out and $600+ electric bills during those months) $200-$250/month, then the rates started moving up as the utilities latched onto the concept of raising rates to curtail use. We’ve now got “peak” partial peak and off peak rates, which used to be during high solar production, but they’ve been moving those around too, always move and counter move. Last few years our solar has zeroed out our electrical use during the whole year, that’s the future...

F

FutureGrower

No..FF DID NOT..In fact they published a letter saying they stopped dealing with a certain huge company when it was bought out.

Oh I see what you mean! I'm gonna go grab some bags next time I see them just for that! I dont even need it just the principal. I could use in my backyard I guess lol

F

FutureGrower

Can a moderator please delete this misinformation by me please @sixstring maybe?

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Kilo from 530 wall watts. 1.8 gpw
20190112 092923
20190112 093337

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
It's funny, I know LED is popular and more efficient and has specific spectrums and high PAR blah blah... But I'm still not convinced enough that it's worth switching from MH/HPS..

Sure HID wastes power and isnt nearly as efficient in PAR output/wattage. But the bud I grow is seriously top shelf with it. Ive used 250, 400, 430, 600, 1000watts, and none of them compare to 1000 watt eye hortilux, except for DE-HID which are in a class of their own. And CMH do very well in small spaces.
MH and HPS just reliably grows Huge hard buds covered in crystal all the way down through a 24" deep canopy.

Maybe I'm just an old dog stuck in his ways. If it ain't broke...

DapperDon

DapperDon

It's funny, I know LED is popular and more efficient and has specific spectrums and high PAR blah blah... But I'm still not convinced enough that it's worth switching from MH/HPS..

Sure HID wastes power and isnt nearly as efficient in PAR output/wattage. But the bud I grow is seriously top shelf with it. Ive used 250, 400, 430, 600, 1000watts, and none of them compare to 1000 watt eye hortilux, except for DE-HID which are in a class of their own. And CMH do very well in small spaces.
MH and HPS just reliably grows Huge hard buds covered in crystal all the way down through a 24" deep canopy.

Maybe I'm just an old dog stuck in his ways. If it ain't broke...

Can you share what you think of as the biggest difference between HID and CMH?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Mind if I ask why you ditched the Gavita's?
I cant speak for freshone, but my buddies moved away from them once they realized they are too damn intense and hot for most indoor setups. You need high ceilings and excellent environmental control and even then they run hot,, throw deadly hotspots when hung horizontally.. They're just overkill. They're meant for hanging like 6-8 feet over top of the canopy of greenhouse crops for supplemental light.

I've watched so many people blow money on new fangled lighting setups over the last long while, meanwhile I'm over here using basically the same lamp tech I was in 1998 lol. HID ftw!!

Top Bottom