i feel like puking all over this screen. WTF is up with "femenized seeds"

• Thread starter darkpink
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

swisscheese

Definitely don't quit your job after having a bunk run that is a recipe for disaster. If everything you ran hermed maybe it's not the strains but the environment like light leaks etc. I know I got silly before and strayed away from my mainstay strains and paid the price too. It happens to all of us. If it was easy everyone would do it and be good at it.

darkpink

darkpink

i didnt know about all the fem crap and how it was done until i suspected unusually aquard traits on the plant, then ivestigating. i was hittin 1.5gpw with my sour diesels 1 yr ago! and due to unusually circumstances i gotta start over with new shit! who would knew.

I'll run Raskal's fem seeds anytime. There's probably more killer Wifi (OGR - WhiteFire OG (f) ) grow journals on this site than any other single strain. The bottom line is shitty breeders sell shitty seeds & they can all herm whether they're regs or fems. Stay away from GreenHouse bro.

darkpink

darkpink

I am working with chemo x og kush(fem). Hard to dial. Very hard to dial. Outclasses everything I have ever smoked in my life by a wide margin, but only when dialed. Long story.
I have these 5 White Fire OG moms that I have not been able to work with, got sick lately so that got in the way of some things for a bit.
Wifis herm sometimes, it apparently could not be bred out. But 50+ hours of research into the strain showed me how many awesome phenos of AAA grade dank with 2#/light yielding potential there are in the Wifi gene pool.
I read many accounts stating Wifi was the best, or top 2, or top 3, or top 5 strains peeps had ever smoked. Those words are good ones to look for.

Then one must go through a selection process, with repeat runs, to learn a ton of stuff.
I could go on for pages about this.
Quit your job if you can. This helped immeasurably.

its not quite my job, that im extremly good at apparently. according to my girl, its my girl im not " good at", all i ever do is "work in the room",, Like hell i do. lights come on at 6pm when i get home from work then i got to the "room" for 2 hrs and all of a sudden im in there 24/7,,lmfao!

bro your from oregon right.. i played 16 holes this last summer at red tail.. it was a nice course. played another course ther that weekend but cant remember the name.. i do alot of work up there with the labor unions!

OO im currently unemplayed because of the "recession"!

MitchyNugz

MitchyNugz

seeds from other companies that came with the order as freebies and all are herms, Eva seeds, Dina fem, and g13 labs and bubba 76 from emerald triangle being the worst to herm straight from the top buds, the others are herming from under the canopy in the nodes.

This sounds like a lot of plants are going hermie on you if all those seed companies plants went hermie on you are you sure there isn't a problem in your room or enviroment causing them to hermie...cause that sounds kinda nuts for everything you ran to go hermie and that bad??

cause small light leaks or stress can cause fem plants to hermie alot easier!

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
There are definitely plenty of wifi's w problems. Cloning issues, nute sensitive, herms, mutants. It happens when thousands of seeds are kicked out. They will pop up.

ograskal never made 1000's of seeds at once. That was one of his problems. He couldn't supply the masses because he made only a couple hundred seeds at a time. He was pollenating individual branches or buds and not whole rooms of plants or entire plants.

I grew out 30 of his WiFi seeds. No hermies and no issues at all. Every plants was good and there were several that were total keepers.

Female seeds can produce some mighty fine weed without having to waste space on males. Why make a blanket statement that all female seeds are a rip-off? Escpecially when this site and site owner make fem seeds that have been kicking ass and taking names.

I haven't had one hermie or issue of any kind with Divine Genetics or ograskal fem seeds.

And you used greenhouse as your benchmark for fem seeds. Seriously.. Greenhouse???? They blow and so does Arjan.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Two folks already mentioned environmental factors, and I'd guess that is a main factor in this situation. It seems unusual, to me, that seeds from every company popped pods. Not impossible of course, just unusual.

I'd check for a light leak

green punk

green punk

Tobor, First off, I never used Green House as a benchmark for any thing. In an earlier post I call Arjan a hack.
Secondly, what generation of White Fire OG did you get? There are so many currently out there some of the other seed sites don't even sell out. They have been in near continuous supply since Aug '11 And lastly its most likely environmental in this case of OP.
I have purchased Raskals fem seeds and will continue. I by no means have particular issues with Raskal.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

GreenPunk, I think Tobor meant the OP, re: benchmark. Yeah, I probably should have noted that there have been a small amt of wifi herms reported here, but nowhere close to the amount of "OMG what a cross" reports. My experience has been the latter. And I think you are correct about his last seed run - no shortage of packs anywhere. That's called bringing dank to the masses! I haven't heard of any of those issues other than that. FWIW, it may not be a quick cloner, but no OG is IME.

I have several of his other fem strains - White S1, White Skunk, White Strawberry & haven't heard anything about herming in these. I think overall it's a pretty low occurrence in the wifi and no reason to not run it given the stellar results most growers get.

P.S. - dig that avatar!

darkpink

darkpink

deffinatly not the case. flowering is done in a sealed tent inside a sealed room solo, no windows, no light.

nutes always under 1000, and water inbetween feedings. straight coco.

i was running afghan kush and sour D right before these strains in the same tent for a long time never any issues.

can Co2 cause herm issues?

seeds from other companies that came with the order as freebies and all are herms, Eva seeds, Dina fem, and g13 labs and bubba 76 from emerald triangle being the worst to herm straight from the top buds, the others are herming from under the canopy in the nodes.

This sounds like a lot of plants are going hermie on you if all those seed companies plants went hermie on you are you sure there isn't a problem in your room or enviroment causing them to hermie...cause that sounds kinda nuts for everything you ran to go hermie and that bad??

cause small light leaks or stress can cause fem plants to hermie alot easier!

darkpink

darkpink

deffinatly not the case. flowering is done in a sealed tent inside a sealed room solo, no windows, no light.

i was running afghan kush and sour D right before these strains in the same tent for a long time never any issues.

Two folks already mentioned environmental factors, and I'd guess that is a main factor in this situation. It seems unusual, to me, that seeds from every company popped pods. Not impossible of course, just unusual.

I'd check for a light leak

darkpink

darkpink

dumb question but, is wifi "white fire og kush"?

and where can i get wifi at?

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter

It may be worth it to sit in the tent just to be sure, but it sounds like you are rather sure it's not light related- so that's good.

CO2 as a sufficient stress factor? I suppose it's possible, but I've not encountered such in my experience.

Although, synthetic bloom boosters have done it to me in the past. I'm not sure what your program is, just throwing it out there. I don't stray from the organic path anymore after Bloombastic and some Soul Synthetics product I forget the name of have both caused terrific damage the only time I had used them. Others think they are great products though, so who's to say.

I tend to feel, generally, the same as you about feminized genes being of questionable quality, and I am always weary until they prove stable. Part of me feels like it's a very "western" approach to breeding- the scientific method versus a more "natural" way.
Another side of me acknowledges that without feminized genetics in the form of S1, much of Soma's work -among some of my favorites- would not be what it is, nor would we have (for better or worse) the proliferation of everything chem/diesel/og. I am one of the people that don't particularly feel that diesels make up the top of the genetic ladder, but I'd be lying or uninformed if I said that some of the hybrids weren't among the strongest selections available today.

darkpink

darkpink

It may be worth it to sit in the tent just to be sure, but it sounds like you are rather sure it's not light related- so that's good.
I tried that today before the lights fliped and i cant see 1" in front of my face. i sat there for about 15min, pitch black.

CO2 as a sufficient stress factor? I suppose it's possible, but I've not encountered such in my experience.

only thing im doin different now before losing my sour d's was add co2 tanks and sealed rooms. before i was running with negative pressure. no supp co2

Although, synthetic bloom boosters have done it to me in the past. I'm not sure what your program is, just throwing it out there. I don't stray from the organic path anymore after Bloombastic and some Soul Synthetics product I forget the name of have both caused terrific damage the only time I had used them. Others think they are great products though, so who's to say.

i did use ONE dose of mad farmer moab as instructeed to try from reading the other thread on here about the MOAB/hammerhead combo, beginning week 2 at half strength which was like nothin.

all im using is the GH 3 part and beginning wk 5 i hit em with a little pk boost (kool bloom), nothing else.

I tend to feel, generally, the same as you about feminized genes being of questionable quality, and I am always weary until they prove stable. Part of me feels like it's a very "western" approach to breeding- the scientific method versus a more "natural" way.
Another side of me acknowledges that without feminized genetics in the form of S1, much of Soma's work -among some of my favorites- would not be what it is, nor would we have (for better or worse) the proliferation of everything chem/diesel/og. I am one of the people that don't particularly feel that diesels make up the top of the genetic ladder, but I'd be lying or uninformed if I said that some of the hybrids weren't among the strongest selections available today.

Im not trying to crap on the female seed party but fuck if it goes wrong and it did it can and will if not caught early destroy everything youve spent 4 months workin on. This was the first time i ran an entire scrog net. i didnt enjoy it and wont be doing it again it makes it hard to tend to plants in the back.

I bought GHS, my bad, i will never do again believe me. i didnt even know the bay had gear until after i was already in the boat with GHS, and after i found out i did grab canna ventures last pack of purple berry bx, and boy its a beauty! smells like a bag of grape jelly. its full of seeds but its pretty..lol

after the light test i cut out the scrog net to find out exactly which plants were fucked.. every plant had seeds and the GHS plants were in the front 2 rows so i cant really see anything beyond them.

after tearing the screen out and carefully inspecting each plant it was clear that the problem came from only two of the strains, the "white rhino" ( hermed just nodes) plants along with the bubba 76 plants from emerald triangle herming the worst ( buds and nodes).

i removed those plants and left the others to finish there dutyproly not worth it to some but its only 2-3 wks left. steaked everything best i could with bamboo steaks, lotta branches broke off during all this. i gottta try and make the best of whats in there atleast its somthin to hold me down for a min.

so i am sorry for implying that all female seeds are party crashers. eight out of the 10 strains are not hermies as of yet. and according to some report i read off CC i think it said like 20 percent of female seed will herm, especially if under any stress. i donno. thats about right 2 out of 10 strains.

darkpink

darkpink

@ natural therapy..

the whole seed and finding pheno thing is a hard hard path, that i wasnt prepared for! this was my first time starting from seed and i didnt know jack about seeds.

my original sour d cuts were givin to me by an ol friend somthing he spent years with, brought from OR, and i could without doing anything fancy pull over 1 1/4lb off one plant under one 600 with just bamboo steaks and some string. killer smoke too.

thank you too all the peoples that do most of the work for others by cracking all those seeds for all those years and all the trial and error to find the keepers so other growers can have good experiences!!! its well worth paying for clones.

Venom818

Venom818

I am working with chemo x og kush(fem). Hard to dial. Very hard to dial. Outclasses everything I have ever smoked in my life by a wide margin, but only when dialed. Long story.
I have these 5 White Fire OG moms that I have not been able to work with, got sick lately so that got in the way of some things for a bit.
Wifis herm sometimes, it apparently could not be bred out. But 50+ hours of research into the strain showed me how many awesome phenos of AAA grade dank with 2#/light yielding potential there are in the Wifi gene pool.
I read many accounts stating Wifi was the best, or top 2, or top 3, or top 5 strains peeps had ever smoked. Those words are good ones to look for.

Then one must go through a selection process, with repeat runs, to learn a ton of stuff.
I could go on for pages about this.
Quit your job if you can. This helped immeasurably.

bro the homie papi chingon had a freak pheno that was some super kill I mean up there with chem-d,loompas hb ,triangle kush,the white

ralphy

ralphy

That's bad luck bro.

I've never bought fem seeds before, never liked the idea of them or trusted them. And THIS is the reason why!

dankworth

dankworth

bro the homie papi chingon had a freak pheno that was some super kill I mean up there with chem-d,loompas hb ,triangle kush,the white

Dude once you have experienced a freak pheno of an elite there is no going back.
You still are thinking about that shit.
It is a sickness.
It becomes hard to care that much about other stuff once you have had something truly special, huh.
I am still chasing the dialed version of mine, I am getting really close. I will smoke you out when it is truly epic. I'll fucking drive down and break you off a jar.
As long as you are not too far off of I5, anyways.

fractal

fractal

I just refuse to buy feminized seeds,to me its not natural,kinda like GMO seeds.Fuck with mother nature and your asking for trouble,LOL.
yeah dude I totally agree, it's not the best strategy for people to be making fem seeds all over the place now. I'm no expert in genetics and stuff but straight up female x male plant crosses are the best way to ensure seedlines stay predictable and solid. Femming is interesting and has its uses I guess, but it's a dead end road imho. I wouldn't breed new lines based on fem seeds ever, those are just good for one run to smoke.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I know this thread is 8 years old, but the feminized mess usually only becomes a problem when the feminized trait is natural and the trait is passed on to later gens. Forcing feminization essentially allows the luxury of feminized seeds without passing along the feminized trait. Of course, there isn't any way to know the origins of the feminized seeds unless it is followed from the beginning.
This is how I dealt with it. I was thrilled with my 1st natural fem seeds, but each subsequent generation got a little worse. Once I forced the process from non feminized plants, the problem disappeared from later gens. What seems like a blessing can quickly turn into a curse!

Top Bottom