Justiceman's Root Health Tutorial

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

whocares

Thanks everyone! Just wanted to try to give back to this awesome community. We grow together.

Sweet. I vary the weight depending on the age/size of my plants but I like to measure the EC to be more exact so I can top off with RO water if I need to. Beginning of veg I try to run at .8EC(400ppm) with RO water which is roughly 3g per gal and I slowly ramp it up from there to the 4-5g per gal recommendation. I'm currently 20 days into flower at about 4.5g which ends up coming out to around 1.1-1.2EC(550-600)

are you mixing your vegbloom straight into the ro water? or do you add some calmag or tap to bring it up to the recommended .2-.3 ec before adding vegbloom?

with your watering times of 1x-2x per day do you also do this with fresh transplants? or is there a certain amount you like to let the coco dry down before watering again? *example coco is obviously 100% wet after watering do you let it get say 50% dry before watering again? or does it tend to stay even wetter than that? maybe more like 60-75% at its driest?

how does your runoff compare to your feeds? does feeding 1ec 6.0ph give you 1ec 6.0ph runoff?

Wisher619

Wisher619

are you mixing your vegbloom straight into the ro water? or do you add some calmag or tap to bring it up to the recommended .2-.3 ec before adding vegbloom?

with your watering times of 1x-2x per day do you also do this with fresh transplants? or is there a certain amount you like to let the coco dry down before watering again? *example coco is obviously 100% wet after watering do you let it get say 50% dry before watering again? or does it tend to stay even wetter than that? maybe more like 60-75% at its driest?

how does your runoff compare to your feeds? does feeding 1ec 6.0ph give you 1ec 6.0ph runoff?
I can probably answer some of these for you

Yes straight RO water and V+B
yes water at least 1x a day with transplants
the wet and dry cycles dont matter much in coco
the frequency of watering depends on how large your plants are/the enviroment (how much your plants are transpiring) what type of system you are running (drip to waste, Flood n Drain)
typically you want to water at least once a day and when you start to see your coco drying out you ramp up the feeds

from my experience I never check runoff.....dosnt work well in coco.....rw yes coco no
I read my plants and keep them healthy
that is an experience thing with your strains
I dont need to read ph/ppm comming out
I can look and see that they need something or not
and usually when you have your enviro dialed .....many strains do well with a standard feed (ec)/temp/RH
which are all relative to each other
kinda vague I know but hope this helps

justiceman

justiceman

Wisher69 did a fine job of answering the questions and really drove the point home in speaking about reading your plants and not measuring run off. Chasing runoff numbers is unnecessary IMO unless something MAJOR is happening but most of the time it's not accurate in the least.

I have mixed vegbloom into ro water without issue and I have also tried mixing it into .2EC starting water(I just added tap water) Same solubility. No issues there. One thing I noticed in my solo cups over a longer period of time is if I used just ro without the .2EC worth of tap water my cocos pH would slowly drop, but after mixing in a bit of tap water to .2EC that problem stopped. I believe the .2EC of tap helped to stabilize my pH. Once again I only noticed these signs over a longer period of time.

I still water 1x a day with fresh transplants. This gets oxygen down in the medium consistently and helps promote faster root growth IMO. No matter how often you saturate coco it still holds a very respectable amount of air within.

I don't check my runoff numbers at all. Like wish said I just look at my plants and adjust accordingly. If I see burn tips or leaf curl I back off. If I see some yellowing I increase the strength. So far I have found that the sweet spot for me is actually what you just stated. About 1.0-1.1EC at a pH of 5.9-6.0.

Are you using that veg+bloom?
I use em. I find I need to be pretty conservative with the PK booster(shine) though. +life is pretty strong and affordable in my opinion. The base nutrient could be slightly cheaper but it works well for me and it's not incredibly expensive. Just more so than maxibloom which IMO is what most base nutrients should be compared to since it works so well.

no......for me that stuff is pure garbage
I am all about the Maxigrow/Maxibloom with a few additives

workin out really well in coco.....really well
The maxi series is really good. It's also cheaper than V+B and works wonders!

Wisher619

Wisher619

Wisher69 did a fine job of answering the questions and really drove the point home in speaking about reading your plants and not measuring run off. Chasing runoff numbers is unnecessary IMO unless something MAJOR is happening but most of the time it's not accurate in the least.

I have mixed vegbloom into ro water without issue and I have also tried mixing it into .2EC starting water(I just added tap water) Same solubility. No issues there. One thing I noticed in my solo cups over a longer period of time is if I used just ro without the .2EC worth of tap water my cocos pH would slowly drop, but after mixing in a bit of tap water to .2EC that problem stopped. I believe the .2EC of tap helped to stabilize my pH. Once again I only noticed these signs over a longer period of time.

I still water 1x a day with fresh transplants. This gets oxygen down in the medium consistently and helps promote faster root growth IMO. No matter how often you saturate coco it still holds a very respectable amount of air within.

I don't check my runoff numbers at all. Like wish said I just look at my plants and adjust accordingly. If I see burn tips or leaf curl I back off. If I see some yellowing I increase the strength. So far I have found that the sweet spot for me is actually what you just stated. About 1.0-1.1EC at a pH of 5.9-6.0.

I use em. I find I need to be pretty conservative with the PK booster(shine) though. +life is pretty strong and affordable in my opinion. The base nutrient could be slightly cheaper but it works well for me and it's not incredibly expensive. Just more so than maxibloom which IMO is what most base nutrients should be compared to since it works so well.

The maxi series is really good. It's also cheaper than V+B and works wonders!
I don't have a problem with the HR company or anything....and I know many people that use it just fine....Many people in my area actually......but I have had terrible luck with it....I even tried it on my tomatoes in coco....the stems started to purple immediately.......and the leaves started to curl up....tried from 3-5g/gal and just couldn't dial it.....tried with CalMg and without.......just I guess it and I just don't match well

went to the Maxibloom and my plants are killing it again....

I am so over liquid nutes.....brother dry nutes are so the way to go...

I know jacks is out there...
I really wish they would get into this canna business and make a soluble for cannabis big aggie style

a Canna Mix/Cal Nit

$25.00 for 50lbs bag
kinda would be my dream

My new lineup per gal is

5ml Silica
3ml Calmg
3g MaxiBloom
3ml Bio-cozyme
1ml Mammoth P (got a huge bottle free from the hydro store)
1.5ml ph up
total cost is like $0.18 a gal

so even though it isn't a simple 1 scoop and nothing........it works really and I significantly drove the price per gal down to almost nothing

anyways how have you been brother

justiceman

justiceman

I don't have a problem with the HR company or anything....and I know many people that use it just fine....Many people in my area actually......but I have had terrible luck with it....I even tried it on my tomatoes in coco....the stems started to purple immediately.......and the leaves started to curl up....tried from 3-5g/gal and just couldn't dial it.....tried with CalMg and without.......just I guess it and I just don't match well

went to the Maxibloom and my plants are killing it again....

I am so over liquid nutes.....brother dry nutes are so the way to go...

I know jacks is out there...
I really wish they would get into this canna business and make a soluble for cannabis big aggie style

a Canna Mix/Cal Nit

$25.00 for 50lbs bag
kinda would be my dream

My new lineup per gal is

5ml Silica
3ml Calmg
3g MaxiBloom
3ml Bio-cozyme
1ml Mammoth P (got a huge bottle free from the hydro store)
1.5ml ph up
total cost is like $0.18 a gal

so even though it isn't a simple 1 scoop and nothing........it works really and I significantly drove the price per gal down to almost nothing

anyways how have you been brother
Ya I remember the issues it was giving you. Gotta use what works right! I'm super happy to hear maxibloom is working out for you. I'll admit even though veg+bloom is working for me I still think it's weird that it's recommended to bring the starting water up to .2EC. I understand why it should be done, but I don't understand why I should be the one to have to do it. I feel like calcium bicarbonate, or w/e is necessary to balance pH should just be included in the product itself right?

I'm with you on liquid nutes bro. I don't really like paying for water either. We just want the nutrients by themselves. We already have the water hahaha.

I too have thought about trying out jacks but I just can't store the bulk bags so easily. I have heard such awesome things about it. Super clean, Simple, Stable. Everything you would want. Maybe one day I'll try and clear some space out and give it a shot. I'm trying to remember the base recipe. Isn't it something like 3g jacks hydroponic/2g calcium nitrate/1 magnesium sulfate? Anyway I hear the stuff rocks though.

I've been good bro! A little busy here and there and I have not quite yet started another cycle but I've still been lurking and keeping my little LSD-25 going for the solo cup grow off. Good to see you around as always man. Here's a few picture of her for you. She's almost done. Never flowered in a solo before and it went quite well!

Day 42
Day 42

Day 61
Day 611

Day 77
Day 771

Day 84
Day 841

jipp

jipp

Ya I remember the issues it was giving you. Gotta use what works right! I'm super happy to hear maxibloom is working out for you. I'll admit even though veg+bloom is working for me I still think it's weird that it's recommended to bring the starting water up to .2EC. I understand why it should be done, but I don't understand why I should be the one to have to do it. I feel like calcium bicarbonate, or w/e is necessary to balance pH should just be included in the product itself right?

I'm with you on liquid nutes bro. I don't really like paying for water either. We just want the nutrients by themselves. We already have the water hahaha.

I too have thought about trying out jacks but I just can't store the bulk bags so easily. I have heard such awesome things about it. Super clean, Simple, Stable. Everything you would want. Maybe one day I'll try and clear some space out and give it a shot. I'm trying to remember the base recipe. Isn't it something like 3g jacks hydroponic/2g calcium nitrate/1 magnesium sulfate? Anyway I hear the stuff rocks though.

I've been good bro! A little busy here and there and I have not quite yet started another cycle but I've still been lurking and keeping my little LSD-25 going for the solo cup grow off. Good to see you around as always man. Here's a few picture of her for you. She's almost done. Never flowered in a solo before and it went quite well!

Day 42
View attachment 706422

Day 61
View attachment 706423

Day 77
View attachment 706424

Day 84
View attachment 706425
such a pretty bird of pray, err.. plant :D

chris.

Wisher619

Wisher619

Day 42
View attachment 706422

Day 61
View attachment 706423

Day 77
View attachment 706424

Day 84
View attachment 706425
straight beast mode!!!!!!!!!

Big thumbs up to that

W

whocares

Thanks to both of you for replying. Ive always followed their recommendation of 1g shine and 4-5g of their base. But youve both motivated me to try a little something different.

How much vb are you running in mid flower to get your 1ec? Is it like 1g shine and 3ish grams of ro/soft?

you said be careful with the shine... what do you notice when you use to much?

justiceman

justiceman

such a pretty bird of pray, err.. plant :D

chris.
hahahahaha!

here is what I have going at the moment
think this is like day 7 of flower
View attachment 706433

far left 2 are Quin n Tonic bx (La Plata Labs)
View attachment 706434

plant in the middle Lemon Afghan
View attachment 706435

right front Oaxaca Zipolite
Back Jew Gold S1
View attachment 706436
Looking real good. Man those sound like some pretty interesting genetics right there. I like it!

Damn! You guys are killing it! Good show. :fire::bookworm:
Thanks Farmer P! There will be more to come:D
Thanks to both of you for replying. Ive always followed their recommendation of 1g shine and 4-5g of their base. But youve both motivated me to try a little something different.

How much vb are you running in mid flower to get your 1ec? Is it like 1g shine and 3ish grams of ro/soft?

you said be careful with the shine... what do you notice when you use to much?
Yup it was about 3g and 1g of shine if I recall correctly. I had to go a bit lower than the recommended dose because my environment is not ideal. Your mileage may vary depending on environment and the set up. Looks like you are running Gavitas? I hear those are nice and intense so it would make sense to me that you could probably push them to the recommended dose without issues, but you just gotta look at the plants closely to really tell.

My last run I went to 1.4EC just to see how far I could push it. I started to get accelerated tip burn so I know 1.0-1.2EC is about the max for my set up. When I used to much shine I saw accelerated tip burn. It was pretty noticeable over a weeks time so If i use it next time I will probably cut it in half to just see what happens. I'm still playing around with this nutrient line up.

Notice the solo cup plant I posted above? I actually didn't use any shine with it but still wen 1.0EC to see how VB would do stand alone and I got very little tip burn. Based off that solo cup I'm not entirely convinced that shine is necessary yet, but it's not a bad thing either that's for sure. I saw some pretty intense resin production from my last run with shine that this solo did not have so maybe there is a happy medium to achieve. Not really great comparisons though since my last run was under HPS and this little solo was under T5's but I thought the results were interesting.

Your plants are looking great!

Top Bottom