Large Pine Tree Very Sick, Capulators Beneficials?

• Thread starter The Humanure
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The Humanure

The Humanure

So its turned kind of brown on the tops and looks like a forest fire baked it.
Can
Capulators beneficials do anything or is this just chem trails and global warming?
We got above average rain fall but I have 3 large pines going down.

Capulators beneficials? I have a foiler bag but id have to root drench it?

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Sounds like bark beetles,doubt caps will help.Bastards got about 20 of my leland cypress around my property.Do they look like this?
1-7-12-Mike-barkbeetle-damage-main_1050_769_s_c1_c_c.jpg

ips-spruce1.jpg

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Yo @thehumanure you need to inject the the tree with Acecap systemic insecticide if it is beatles or borers. I don' think the bennies will help with blight or bark beatles on a pine. Good luck!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Top down death my pest guy says is THE tell for pine bark beetle. Treating each pine is prohibitively expensive (Clark Pest Control). It requires injection with a systemic insecticide, just like Capulator says. I'd take the tree down ASAP to help prevent spread.

There are other signs that come much earlier than death from the top down, that's the last stage. I don't know exactly what they are.

A

A.Sherman

Ive got a big japanese maple that has two big dead limbs with the bark pealing off, could this be verticulum? Would caps bennys help this? We also have a bunch of those japanese squash bugs or stink bugs around but i havent seen any on that tree.

scoop

scoop

If it's the same pine beetle we have here in CO....

Infested trees will exhibit bore holes in the trunk and may have sawdust on the ground around/near the trunk.

By the time you see rust red/dying branches the tree has likely been infested for at least 2 years and is definitely dead/dying. Older trees or sick trees nearby are also likely infected even if they have yet to turn brown/red.

those fuckers are persistent. There really isn't any stopping them and treating nearby trees is likely a waste of time/money you should spend on new trees.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can look out my back window and immediately count at least a dozen pine/conifers (mostly pine out here, I haven't seen fir or cedar affected at all) that are dying from the top down. Some of them are dying VERY rapidly, and I've warned my neighbors about it because when you live right under the tree it can be hard to see. Not from my perspective. It's getting worse.

scoop

scoop

We've had the beetles here forever....but they REALLY get goin en force after a drought. I remember them making a stand in the late 70's after the drought of '76. More recently...2002 was our last serious drought....and from then on they have been raging throughout the state. Some areas are completely devastated and are now clear cut....but many, many other areas are so far into the forest that nature is just gonna have it's way.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Our forest cover has been allowed to get WAY too thick, and I believe that's what is allowing the rapid spread in our little valley here over the past year or so. It needs to be thinned out, hard.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Its a normal cycle thats been interrupted,Beetle kill,Then comes fires that clear everything out and the cycle begins again.Now they put out every fire which allows huge fuel buildup to the point that when theres a fire its catastrophic like were seeing in alberta now,Unstoppable.They used to sell an insecticide that you sprayed your trees with that worked but its illegal in cali now,i have lost 40 large leyland cypress to the beetles that took me 20 years to grow.I planted them when they were sticks,lol.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Same problem in the Lake Tahoe basin. You're not even allowed to remove the pine duff layer, let alone clear sick trees without the blessing of the TRPA.

organicpanic

organicpanic

A non native forest beign clearcut by a non native insect.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The trees are native, though I don't know about the beetle. Now I'mma look it up. Also a native.

Top Bottom