Led Or T5 For Veg.. Which Light Grows A Faster And Stronger Plant?

• Thread starter Hemp55
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
907debow1234

907debow1234

My money is on t5.. just from experience,.. they do produce some heat which I like as well as have some good strength but on for a few inches above canopy. So it's not the best for growing trees, after some bending I've moved mine to bud directly from t5. Great success, like steroids for the plants. Best of luck.

sixstring

sixstring

im seeing better growth at 1/3 or less the wattage using cob led in veg,so i will say led blows t5 away in veg.i have using t5 in veg for over 7 years now and leds for about 4 months.my new veg room will be 90% cob leds,i will keep some t5 for my seeds and cuts.

sixstring

sixstring

A 315 cmh will beat them both
Can ya turn a 315cmh down to 100w and do this lol ?
20170201 203250vero29

The Terps

The Terps

No but can you go into a store and buy that lol. I have no doubts about your system @sixstring but for the average joe that doesn't want to source and build his lights from scratch, and is looking retail for these fixtures, imo cmh will out perform everything else on the shelf for a store bought fixture. Personally I think your system is cool but don't have any desire to start manufacturing my own fixtures.

sixstring

sixstring

No but can you go into a store and buy that lol. I have no doubts about your system @sixstring but for the average joe that doesn't want to source and build his lights from scratch, and is looking retail for these fixtures, imo cmh will out perform everything else on the shelf for a store bought fixture. Personally I think your system is cool but don't have any desire to start manufacturing my own fixtures.
i hear ya man but you can buy something now that comes ready to grow for a very reasonable price.now this aint vero cobs but suposedly just as good with shitizens haha.

thats a 200w dimmable setup . my setup was actually made for flowering using 3000k cobs but now i have changed my opinions on veg spectrum for the umpteenth time lol.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Led and cmh are great.

But what do you do when you have limited vertical height?

This is where T5 lights shine.

Because you can get them "2-"3 away from the tops without toasting your plants.

The multiple bulbs project light from various angles increasing canopy penetration. The par emitted along the length of each t5 bulb is consistent from end to end.

You can mix the bulb spectrums.

You can turn off sets of bulbs to reduce light output. Or turn them on to increase.

I have been fowering under a mixed spectrum HO T5 this round in a limited vertical height application ("24w×"24l×"11t). It it is working better than I expected. Plant is in a 5 gallon pot day 42 or so of flower in these pictures.
Downloadfile

Downloadfile 2
Downloadfile 3
Downloadfile 4

Last edited:
sixstring

sixstring

Led and cmh are great.

But what do you do when you have limited vertical height?

This is where T5 lights shine.

Because you can get them "2-"3 away from the tops without toasting your plants.

The multiple bulbs project light from various angles increasing canopy penetration. The par emitted along the length of each t5 bulb is consistent from end to end.

You can mix the bulb spectrums.

You can turn off sets of bulbs to reduce light output. Or turn them on to increase.

I have been fowering under a mixed spectrum HO T5 this round in a limited vertical height application ("24w×"24l×"11t). It it is working better than I expected. Plant is in a 5 gallon pot day 42 or so of flower in that picture.
View attachment 674051
View attachment 674050 View attachment 674055 View attachment 674056

Thats an awesome plant bro.i know what you mean,i been mixing spectrums on my t5 for a long time.i have some badboy 12 lamp fixtures that i run 6 x 6400k 2 x powerveg uv 2 x 2700k and 2 x 10,000k lamps and they veg awesome. But with the size of my plants they lose out down low to this led fixture.its more dense and darker green down by the soil where the t5 will peter out down there.now for me its not a big deal because i take the lowers off in flower.but the fixture i posted has a plant under it now that is about 3 inches from the cob,you can put your hand within an inch of these at full power and at this lower power they are as cool as t5 lamps.for me its going to be huge in power savings,im around 1600w in veg with all t5 and the new shop should come in around 1000w with almost twice the footprint.
Then we have these new quantum boards and these fuckers put out more light with less heat than even cobs can do.plants can be just as close as t5 and super easy to set up.
20170215 151517
20170215 170803

The last pic is me mapping a par chart @ 18in and 24in and the numbers are eye opening to put it lightly lol
A true 4 x 5 footprint @770w from the wall.

sixstring

sixstring

But yeah so many ways to herd cats these days,im def interested in the new lec 630de and will try a few in the new room once im up and running.cant beat the spectrum of these newer ceramics coming out and im all about the spectrumz :)

Hemp55

Hemp55

Thank you everyone for the input. I ended up just getting a t5 HO 8 bulb. Getting ready to start my ladies here soon for the outdoor season. ( Was using a t5 VHO last year, bitch to keep cool ). Here is a pic of my biggest girl last year. Grown in reused soil from my indoor. Dab

2016Redwood
B

BobbyBoy

LEDS blow away T5s but as T5's are much more common.

T5 to my memory give around 80-100 Lumens per watt.
LEDS offering 160-210 Lumens per watt.

BombBP

BombBP

Just put of curiosity....why don't people use a combination of grow lights? I've heard ups and downs/pros and cons to all lights so why not just mix them up?

Now, I understand switching for power consumption reasons but with that not being a factor wouldn't there be an upside to using multiple light sources vs one? Wouldn't the light from multiple sources provide a wide spectrum of light? HPS, CMH and led just sounds like it would perform better vs one source alone. Just thinking out loud.

I already use led and HPS in flower. I might add a cmh just for shits and giggles. I'm also thinking about adding led in with my t5 for veg.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Just put of curiosity....why don't people use a combination of grow lights? I've heard ups and downs/pros and cons to all lights so why not just mix them up?

Now, I understand switching for power consumption reasons but with that not being a factor wouldn't there be an upside to using multiple light sources vs one? Wouldn't the light from multiple sources provide a wide spectrum of light? HPS, CMH and led just sounds like it would perform better vs one source alone. Just thinking out loud.

I already use led and HPS in flower. I might add a cmh just for shits and giggles. I'm also thinking about adding led in with my t5 for veg.

I have a 400 watt hps with two 5000k 1600 lumen led supplemental bulbs in flower.

It adds about %6 extra blue light output to the hps while consuming %7 extra electricity (30 watts) heat input is minimal.

So far so good. The supplemental bulbs helps penetrate the canopy at a °45 angle on opposing sides. They seem to help the below canopy flower site's grow in better.

So in 1 tent I have 1 hps, 2 led bulbs, and a 12 bulb t5 fixture.
Downloadfile 1

I don't think a cmh would fit lol.

That lower chamber has the t5 fixture because it had the lowest profile ("3thick)
And gave me "11 vertical inches to work with.

very even light distribution over the 2x2 footprint.

And 6k (initial bulb) lumens per cu ft :cool: Or 5,666 (mean bulb avg) lumens per cu ft.

My hps chamber has only 2,910 lumens per cu ft.

Use whatever works for you.
Wherever it works for you.

Last edited:
BombBP

BombBP

Yes but a t 5 needs to be 2" away a cmh 12" and a de 36" so you can't mix and match really without shading from the lower watt fixtures.
I didn't really mean using a t5 in flower. I run 2 400 hps and a led. I'm thinking about exchanging one hps for cmh. No shading from the other light sources.

B

BobbyBoy

That lower chamber has the t5 fixture because it had the lowest profile ("3thick)

And 6k (initial bulb) lumens per cu ft :cool: Or 5,666 (mean bulb avg) lumens per cu ft.

What t5 bulb brand and wattage do you use?
6k per cubic ft seems great.

Because most lighting is chosen based on price, efficiency, and grow setup.

Running HPS usually requires extraction fans to be ran at a certain level, running LED allows extraction fans to be ran much slower, thus saving on wattage.

Thats just one example, but you can see how everything begins to link in...

Running all sorts of lights would likely be the furthest away from efficiency you could get.

Also to answer you question of would there be a benefit to running diff light sources. - I doubt there would be any significant benefit, but there are significant benefits to not catering to multiple light sources(one being massive headache of light positioning, etc)

Last edited:
BombBP

BombBP

I have a 400 watt hps with two 5000k 1600 lumen led supplemental bulbs in flower.

It adds about %6 extra blue light output to the hps while consuming %7 extra electricity (30 watts) heat input is minimal.

So far so good. The supplemental bulbs helps penetrate the canopy at a °45 angle on opposing sides. They seem to help the below canopy flower site's grow in better.

So in 1 tent I have 1 hps, 2 led bulbs, and a 12 bulb t5 fixture.
View attachment 674158
I don't think a cmh would fit lol.

My hps chamber has only 2,910 lumens per cu ft.

Use whatever works for you.
Wherever it works for you.
Oh I'm insane so I'll definitely use whatever lol. Its just a question I've asked myself when I see someone ask which is better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom