Lets Talk Condensate

• Thread starter G gnome
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G gnome

G gnome

I am interested to know if anyone is using condensate from their dehumidifiers and ac units to water their plants? Have they had any issues with doing so?

Is it possible (with properly sized ac and dehumidifier) to produce enough condensate to essentially recycle the water they use and have to introduce little to no new ro water?

My understanding is....plants transpire something like 95% of the water theyre given. If it cud be reclaimed by air conditioners and dehumidifiers and then reused in theory u wud only need to add about 5% new water to ur grow rm?

Condensate is essentially distilled water and has a ppm of 0 if im not mistaken...?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I am interested to know if anyone is using condensate from their dehumidifiers and ac units to water their plants? Have they had any issues with doing so?

Is it possible (with properly sized ac and dehumidifier) to produce enough condensate to essentially recycle the water they use and have to introduce little to no new ro water?

My understanding is....plants transpire something like 95% of the water theyre given. If it cud be reclaimed by air conditioners and dehumidifiers and then reused in theory u wud only need to add about 5% new water to ur grow rm?

Condensate is essentially distilled water and has a ppm of 0 if im not mistaken...?
Thats a great idea G. A bud of mine recycles all his condensate. He is a real sustainability nut. The only thing he does is treats the condensate with nutrients when using as feed and adds C and Mg when using for general watering as like you said it is basically distilled water and has very low mineral content but can contain some heavy metals and pathogens.

Last edited:
G gnome

G gnome

Thats a great idea G. A bud of mine recycles all his condensate. He is a real sustainability nut. The only thing he does is treats the condensate with nutrients when using as feed and adds C and Mg when using for general watering as like you said it is basically distilled water and has very low mineral content.

Its certainly a very "green" approach.

Do u know how much new water if any he has to use?

Also, id be interested to know what region he's in because i wud think that plays an important role. In a dry climate i wud assume that not only does a dehumidifier have to work less therefore producing less condensate but some of the airs water content wud be lost to the atmosphere.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter

Also, id be interested to know what region he's in because i wud think that plays an important role. In a dry climate i wud assume that not only does a dehumidifier have to work less therefore producing less condensate but some of the airs water content wud be lost to the atmosphere.
He is in a very humid region , think Houston humidity levels. he claims he is only having to add around 10-15 % makeup water.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter

you are correct . This approach works well better in high humidity regions

G gnome

G gnome

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I wasnt aware there was a product for purifying condensate. Its ses in the link that the water contains heavy metals. If that were true wudnt u get a reading with ur tds meter? As far as pathogens...whuch was the other thing mentioned cudnt that be addressed w aeration, peroxide, bleach, ....?
One would think that wud work. For the pathogens he uses a UV sterilizer from my old reef tank system I gave him. So the water passes thru UV chambers and it kills everything. With some creativity a guy like you can diy and make it work without a lot of expensive gear.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Capture 2018 07 21 06 06 19

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I wasnt aware there was a product for purifying condensate. Its ses in the link that the water contains heavy metals. If that were true wudnt u get a reading with ur tds meter? As far as pathogens...whuch was the other thing mentioned cudnt that be addressed w aeration, peroxide, bleach, ....?
I aint sure but one would have to agree that a tds will register some value for heavy metals as it is a dissolved solid so to speak. I'm just not 100% certain

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I personally think that system is overkill and not really a must have. With a little thought you should be able to resuse with no issues especially if your using bleach or peroxides. And if your source water is RO from the input side heavy metals really aren't going to be an issue as they are removed during the RO process

G gnome

G gnome

I personally think that system is overkill and not really a must have. With a little thought you should be able to resuse with no issues especially if your using bleach or peroxides. And if your source water is RO from the input side heavy metals really aren't going to be an issue as they are removed during the RO process
I wud think that if heavy metals did exist in the condensate they wud come from the ac or dehumidifiers.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Think mold bro...…………. Mold is everywhere and especially in grow rooms where that condensate sits and all the organic matter it is easy to think there may be something afoot or afoul in the condensate. But who really knows
Just ro it... While were at it we can pee in the same bucket and clean it all

Top Bottom