Meeks' 2013 Dapper Grow Log

• Thread starter nMEEKS
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ocean29

Ocean29

Hey there. I'm new to this forum and have been working with pdxfire. We recently, 2 days ago, started using your MKP recipe and have noticed that the water is really cloudy. seems to be caused by the iron and most. Is this normal? In what order have you been mixing and do you think it makes a difference? I have been adding them- first to last: MKP, most, fe, epsom, calcium nitrate. Also I've been noticing that there is a fair amount of material (a white residue, most?) that settles to the bottom of the tank if it's a more concentrated solution. Our res that we are watering out of is 96 gal. I know that iron and other trace minerals are heavy and perhaps this is normal, but my google searches have revealed close to nothing...any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ocean29

Ocean29

Hey there. I'm new to this forum and have been working with pdxfire. We recently, 2 days ago, started using your MKP recipe and have noticed that the water is really cloudy. seems to be caused by the iron and most. Is this normal? In what order have you been mixing and do you think it makes a difference? I have been adding them- first to last: MKP, most, fe, epsom, calcium nitrate. Also I've been noticing that there is a fair amount of material (a white residue, most?) that settles to the bottom of the tank if it's a more concentrated solution. Our res that we are watering out of is 96 gal. I know that iron and other trace minerals are heavy and perhaps this is normal, but my google searches have revealed close to nothing...any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
and for the record, i haven't noticed the plants reacting poorly, but its only been a couple of days....tonight will be the third watering....

Ocean29

Ocean29

and for the record, i haven't noticed the plants reacting poorly, but its only been a couple of days....tonight will be the third watering....
and, pardon my verbosity, as a lurker, I appreciate you attention to detail and knowledge of garedening. I have a lot of experience with outdoor organic vegetable and flower gardening; the indoor coco way is very new on an intuitive level. so, for me, detail is important. Anyway, thanks.

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
beautiful grow nmeeks those nugs looks killer and fat gonna be a dank harvest i see.
Thank you Tipper, the White Skunk were certainly one of my most photogenic grows! Harvest/trimming took a while but it was all worth it, the result is arguably my best yet!

Meek looking super fire. I just snagged a pack of that white skunk can't wait to run it. Can't wait to see the dry nugs keep up the great work.

Nice score crfMan! The White Skunk is super fire, I have been smoking almost entirely that since harvest! Smell and taste are skunk 100%, density is there on about half the genotypes, and frost is out of this world! I can't wait to run another table of them! I haven't done a dry nug photo shoot in a while, so I only have a random photo I took because my camera was on hand, but here it is:
IMG 8784

and, pardon my verbosity, as a lurker, I appreciate you attention to detail and knowledge of garedening. I have a lot of experience with outdoor organic vegetable and flower gardening; the indoor coco way is very new on an intuitive level. so, for me, detail is important. Anyway, thanks.

Hey Ocean, welcome to The Farm! It sounds to me like you are getting lockout of some nutrients. Seeing a cloudy reservoir is a big indicator of that and when you said you are getting white residue settling on the bottom I was pretty convinced lockout was/is your issue. Step 1 to avoiding this is to never mix your recipe in concentrate. I always keep each ingredient separate, just to be safe, but the important stuff not to mix in concentrate would be calcium (calcium nitrate), sulfur, or phosphorus, because those nutrients can combine and form insoluble compounds like CalciumSulfate (gypsum) that will just sink to the bottom and not provide nutrients for the plants. I find it helpful to dissolve each ingredient in a small amount of water before adding it to the larger reservoir, to help it mix uniformly and rapidly when I do add it. My current system involves weighing my nutrients into ziplock bags (one for each ingredient) and then filling the ziplock up about 2/3 with water and letting it dissolve there before pouring each bag into the big reservoir. I do add the bags in the order you already described (MKP, MOST, Fe, Epsom, Cal-Nit) so I don't think that should be a problem, but you can always experiment with the order you add (in a smaller reservoir) and see if there is any lockout before mixing 96 gal. And lastly, I have tried a couple different Chelated Irons and one of them did not seem to work very well, and created a similar issue to what you are describing, so maybe try this mix without your current Iron product and see if the issue persists. The Chelated Fe is just in addition to the Fe already in the MOST, so you shouldn't see a deficiency if you drop it, I have just read that it can increase your Brix levels. I hope this answer helps you get the issue resolved and thanks for the huge compliment of following in my footsteps!

-Meeks:)

Ocean29

Ocean29

Thank you Tipper, the White Skunk were certainly one of my most photogenic grows! Harvest/trimming took a while but it was all worth it, the result is arguably my best yet!

Nice score crfMan! The White Skunk is super fire, I have been smoking almost entirely that since harvest! Smell and taste are skunk 100%, density is there on about half the genotypes, and frost is out of this world! I can't wait to run another table of them! I haven't done a dry nug photo shoot in a while, so I only have a random photo I took because my camera was on hand, but here it is:
View attachment 315770

Hey Ocean, welcome to The Farm! It sounds to me like you are getting lockout of some nutrients. Seeing a cloudy reservoir is a big indicator of that and when you said you are getting white residue settling on the bottom I was pretty convinced lockout was/is your issue. Step 1 to avoiding this is to never mix your recipe in concentrate. I always keep each ingredient separate, just to be safe, but the important stuff not to mix in concentrate would be calcium (calcium nitrate), sulfur, or phosphorus, because those nutrients can combine and form insoluble compounds like CalciumSulfate (gypsum) that will just sink to the bottom and not provide nutrients for the plants. I find it helpful to dissolve each ingredient in a small amount of water before adding it to the larger reservoir, to help it mix uniformly and rapidly when I do add it. My current system involves weighing my nutrients into ziplock bags (one for each ingredient) and then filling the ziplock up about 2/3 with water and letting it dissolve there before pouring each bag into the big reservoir. I do add the bags in the order you already described (MKP, MOST, Fe, Epsom, Cal-Nit) so I don't think that should be a problem, but you can always experiment with the order you add (in a smaller reservoir) and see if there is any lockout before mixing 96 gal. And lastly, I have tried a couple different Chelated Irons and one of them did not seem to work very well, and created a similar issue to what you are describing, so maybe try this mix without your current Iron product and see if the issue persists. The Chelated Fe is just in addition to the Fe already in the MOST, so you shouldn't see a deficiency if you drop it, I have just read that it can increase your Brix levels. I hope this answer helps you get the issue resolved and thanks for the huge compliment of following in my footsteps!

View attachment 315770

thanks for your prompt response! lockout yes... experimenting with the mixing/dilution, but it does appear to be the most that is causing the reaction. the MKP , epsom and Ca nitrate are crystal clear when mixed together, even at higher concentrations FYI. i learned this on accident. i'm trying to determine the most efficient way to mix nutes with our setup. and yes, i'm thinking that starting with a mostly full res of RO may be the answer to keep the concentration low when i add the most. seems obvious i know, but it's all a matter of a usable system that works every time, and we never had issues with our last recipe so we were mixing it at higher concentrations regularly. as for the chelated Fe, that is another factor i have yet to address. leaving it out for now. thanks for that bit. i like the idea of increasing Brix levels. let's hear it for chemistry...
nerd out...

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
thanks for your prompt response! lockout yes... experimenting with the mixing/dilution, but it does appear to be the most that is causing the reaction. the MKP , epsom and Ca nitrate are crystal clear when mixed together, even at higher concentrations FYI. i learned this on accident. i'm trying to determine the most efficient way to mix nutes with our setup. and yes, i'm thinking that starting with a mostly full res of RO may be the answer to keep the concentration low when i add the most. seems obvious i know, but it's all a matter of a usable system that works every time, and we never had issues with our last recipe so we were mixing it at higher concentrations regularly. as for the chelated Fe, that is another factor i have yet to address. leaving it out for now. thanks for that bit. i like the idea of increasing Brix levels. let's hear it for chemistry...
nerd out...

Let me know how it all works out for you, I am curious to hear what your solution ends up being.

Hey Farmers, I know there has been a huge lack of updates recently. . . I have been busy and focused on other projects. . . I still don't have time to do the full update I want to right now, but I will throw up a quick photo to show where things were on Sunday, just before starting Day 25. This photo shows mostly the White Fire Alien #6 and you can see a glimpse of the Alien Grapevine #3 in the back. I have a few photos from earlier in this grow that I will sort and upload when I have time for a little fast forward photo stream! For now, enjoy this sneak peek :peeking:

Day 25 WiFiAlien6

-Meeks

Patanjali

Patanjali

I will be impatiently awaiting the WSS final picts! ;)

nMeeks, can I ask, I think I read somewhere that you had grown out the White Urkel. If so, can you tell me your thoughts on it? Thank you!

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
I will be impatiently awaiting the WSS final picts! ;)
Read my first post on this page, it explains why you might be waiting for a while if you think there are more White Skunk photos coming with how busy I am. . . there is even a picture of a finished White Skunk nug in that post.

nMeeks, can I ask, I think I read somewhere that you had grown out the White Urkel. If so, can you tell me your thoughts on it? Thank you!

There is a link to my White Urkle grow log in my signature, that will have to do.

Patanjali

Patanjali

Read my first post on this page, it explains why you might be waiting for a while if you think there are more White Skunk photos coming with how busy I am. . . there is even a picture of a finished White Skunk nug in that post.

There is a link to my White Urkle grow log in my signature, that will have to do.
Thanks Meeks, my apologies. I'll read the Urkel thread.

Ocean29

Ocean29

We
Let me know how it all works out for you, I am curious to hear what your solution ends up being.

Hey Farmers, I know there has been a huge lack of updates recently. . . I have been busy and focused on other projects. . . I still don't have time to do the full update I want to right now, but I will throw up a quick photo to show where things were on Sunday, just before starting Day 25. This photo shows mostly the White Fire Alien #6 and you can see a glimpse of the Alien Grapevine #3 in the back. I have a few photos from earlier in this grow that I will sort and upload when I have time for a little fast forward photo stream! For now, enjoy this sneak peek :peeking:

View attachment 316730

-Meeks
we have tried everything we can think of and the cloudiness is not changing. ??? The plants seem fine but it may have long term effects that aren't being expressed now. It's definitely the most and MKP combo. We were using jacks before and when we added most to that, it wasn't cloudy. Anyway, we are baffled. Thanks for your help and if we figure anything else out I will let you know....

Ocean29

Ocean29

We
we have tried everything we can think of and the cloudiness is not changing. ??? The plants seem fine but it may have long term effects that aren't being expressed now. It's definitely the most and MKP combo. We were using jacks before and when we added most to that, it wasn't cloudy. Anyway, we are baffled. Thanks for your help and if we figure anything else out I will let you know....

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
We

You have tried everything you can think of. . . . except filling the res up all the way with RO before mixing in your nutrients right? You said you had not tried that yet in your previous post, and that is how I do it, so I recommend trying that if you have still not done so. Otherwise I have no idea what to tell you, I just mixed a batch of this recipe 2 days ago and made sure to look for any cloudiness or sediment at the bottom of the res, there were no problems.

Patanjali

Patanjali

No problem Patanjali, sorry to disappoint with the WSkunk nug photos, if I still have any left once school is wrapped up for the year I will take some photos just for you!
Meeks, you never disappoint! In previous journals I had thought you gave a smoke report and a few final picts. I was totally just teasing, and please don't spend any extra time on me. I super appreciate all the time you take posting you great grows and taking the time to answer everyones questions.

I was thinking about trying another OGR strain, which is why I asked about the urkel. I'm going to read your WMK journal next.

I thought you might enjoy this. I found this in some F2's I made. It grew together like garlic. The back side is solid and looks fairly normal.

Garlicseed

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
Meeks, you never disappoint! In previous journals I had thought you gave a smoke report and a few final picts. I was totally just teasing, and please don't spend any extra time on me. I super appreciate all the time you take posting you great grows and taking the time to answer everyones questions.

I was thinking about trying another OGR strain, which is why I asked about the urkel. I'm going to read your WMK journal next.

I thought you might enjoy this. I found this in some F2's I made. It grew together like garlic. The back side is solid and looks fairly normal.

View attachment 317030

Thanks for the kind words and consideration. You are right, I have usually done a final concluding post at the end of each grow, which has gotten less and less detailed over the last couple years.

I'm glad you liked the Urkle log, I enjoyed seeing all 60+ alerts as you went through it all! I think every strain I've grown from OGR has been worthwhile growing, so I encourage you to try anything from him!

That seed is super funky, I like it! Do you have any plans to try germinating it? I would be curious to see if it is just a crease in the seed coat or if you had two separate embryos in there!? Thanks for sharing!

Loving your garden bro, keep it up :)

Thanks so much BH, I know the posts are few and far between right now, but I'm sure you will all be sick of me by the end of summer when I'm on here everyday lurking, haha.

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
dam meeks that wfa stacks hard bro i love stopping by and checking out your grow threads always top notch

My WFA cut stacks like crazy Blaze! When it was all said and done, it tied for second highest yielding strain I have! The Alien Grapevine didn't disappoint either! Great floral and fruity aroma that is even nicer in the taste of the shatter I made from its trim. The nug structure is much different for those two strains, but surprisingly the yield was fairly similar because of the great density the AGV has! Sorry for the super delayed reply, I have clearly been much less active than I used to be.

Top Bottom