Micropropigation using Plant Tissue Culture

• Thread starter ganjatarian
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

ganjatarian

I have recently picked up a Plant tissue Culture kit at my local Hydro shop. I was intrigued by the idea of isolating a plant in a steril environment so that when I gift genetics to friends.....we won't play the blame game over who gave who what new parasite.

In looking deeper into macropropigation I am further excited by how quickly mothers can be cloned without compromise in genetics (like with cloning over and over). One baby food jar of material can be broken up into hundreds in a few short weeks and with an alteration in hormones, you have roots in just a few more weeks.

So...here is were I began

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~jwolf/method5.htm

I am on my first try and have ordered fresh hormones for my second run.

I have invested aprox $400 to start this hobbie so im not likely to give up anytime soon.

Is anyone else doing this and if so, what have you found to be sucessful or a failure.

Thanks in Advance and Welcome to Plant Tissue Culture Technique.

S

StonedOwl

Huh?....Wait are you saying you can put like, plant tissue scrapings into a small glass container, and grow clones?

$400 bucks huh, your dedicated.

G

ganjatarian

yes stoned owl. First phase you grow a clump base called Callus. Divide the Callus into as many plants you like and put into a new growing medium of Agar, Basal salt and vitamins and hormones NAA (for root growth) and in another 4 weeks you have dozens or hundreds of the exact mother just from one small baby food jar sized Callus and it is in a completely steril environment that I have heard can be preserved or shelved for 2-5 years (depending on light, temp and proper hormone/ nute you use)

http://www.hahnslighting.com/?p=64

T

they call me j

ive seen this a few times in some magazines as well as online. i think the attention to detail and extra steps to keep it all sterile deter more people from trying maybe? also i would prefer a nice hearty thick stemmed cutting to one that came out of a baby jar. maybe i have the wrong impression though. ill watch your thread and see what its all about.

Z

Zen

I'm 100% in for the long haul on this one as well and looking forward to your results. I have been interested in this for awhile... I'm a lab coat wannabe I suppose... I dig the science of it all. Furthermore I love the idea of being able to share genetics by simply mailing a half inch by half inch leaf-splice to a buddy.

I'd like to get a couple guys together and create a little tissue culture club so that we can have a bit of fun and share some AAA+ genetics in the process. Ah and hey... I can reduce my mother section to a scrape book of leaves/genetics in my fridge and keep hundreds of mothers... how cool would that be!

D

diesel

i like the idea zen, i heard of these before and would be curious to know how viable it all is.

P

punkadc

....Furthermore I love the idea of being able to share genetics by simply mailing a half inch by half inch leaf-splice to a buddy.

I'd like to get a couple guys together and create a little tissue culture club so that we can have a bit of fun and share some AAA+ genetics in the process. Ah and hey... I can reduce my mother section to a scrape book of leaves/genetics in my fridge and keep hundreds of mothers... how cool would that be!

good ideas, zen!:yes

G

ganjatarian

count me in Zen and I think there would be some benifits as far as security goes. Cops would have to prov it was MJ (probobly by doing DNA tests) once they open the jar or take samples the content would be compromised and possibly spoil before they could have such an expensive procedure done. Im doing orchids and citris trees along side mine so let them figure out what is MJ and what isn't. G

Z

Zen

Great Vids Guys for a primer on micropropagation. Be sure to watch these first guys... and if they don't get you excited then tissue culture probably isn't your thing.

Micropropagation Part I Intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYvJByYrSPg

Micropropagation Part 1 - Intro cont.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh8804Kfdps&feature=related

Micropropagation Part II - Getting Started

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm6bHWofWHg&feature=related

You can the rest of this cats videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=fbt2007&view=videos

Yea I'm defiantly into it... researching now and thinking of ideas for putting a club together. I'll have to do some hands on stuff first before I pull the trigger for something like a club.

N

Nuglover

I've heard it doesn't wor well foe Cannabis...but then again I've heard alot of things. I was interested in it till I heard that. Keep us informed. It would be neat if it works.

M

MIZZ ELVIS

If your patient and very meticulous this is a very feesible way of producing clones. This is a very beneficial means of propigation for larger more commercial type grows. In cannabis mitosis occurs in the shoot apex( the meristem), root tip meristems, and the meristematic cambium layer of the stalk. Beause of this it is easy to obtain stem cell material for replication of cannabis, although root tip meristems are not readily cloned . This information is not really of concern to the cannabis tissue propigator though; As any single individual type cell carries the genetic code of the plant. Therefore any cannabis plant cell can be manipulated to generate an exact duplicate of their donor. I think stem cell manipulation could be the future of all plant propigation. Tissue culture is a relatively new way of plant propigation, and did not become a viable commercial industry until 1957-8, when researchers discovered the growth regulators of plants and used them to direct the growth of different plant morphologies and to regulate the growth rate in vitrolant tissue cultures. "Meristemming" makes it possible to quickly grow large amounts of uniform, disease-free plant tissue. G.M. Morel rapidly propagated orchids in 1960, creating a multi-million dollar market for micropropagated ornamental plants. Tissue culture also makes possible the commercial production of plant-derived pharmaceuticals, flavorings, and colorants. The most widely recognized benefit of tissue culture is the perceived uniformity of the resultant clones. Thus, tissue culture is recommended as a method for increasing the stock of elite clones. A clone can be micropropagated to produce over a million genetically identical plants. Anyone interested in trying meristem cloning sholud look into the super starts tissue culture kit, sold by BWGS.com for $252.95. It comes with everything you need to make hundreds of thousands of your favorite plant; oh it also has a very detailed set of instructions and a helpfull in-depth DVD all about tissue culture...... :sign0023: :sign0023: :hunter:

J

joebean91

I am happy to see people doing this . Ganjatarian have you already had success with this method ?

G

ganjatarian

Wow, So glad to get all the feedback thanks Zen, and mizz Elvis for your in depth info and videos.

Joebean, I have done the first phase and im only a few days into watching them grow...so far no sign of fungus or callus but I hear 4-6 weeks is how long it takes to see viable growth. I jared 26 and i tried using different parts of the plant but mostly just the node where buds shoot. I also tried some flowers, seeds and cotldons. I have some pics on my cell phone but ill try to get something of better quality once I see any type of growth.

G

K

kansasgrown

It works fantastically if you can keep your head focused. I have a clean room due to my mushie endeavors and generally work in it for my micropropagation. When I want to make a huge seed run I find it much easier to due it this way than to grow a huge amount of mothers for clones, but the main benefit that I have found is in being able to transport certain strains right under everyones nose without them ever being tipped off.

Z

Zen

It works fantastically if you can keep your head focused. I have a clean room due to my mushie endeavors and generally work in it for my micropropagation. When I want to make a huge seed run I find it much easier to due it this way than to grow a huge amount of mothers for clones, but the main benefit that I have found is in being able to transport certain strains right under everyones nose without them ever being tipped off.

It would be wonderful to see some pics of someone successfully doing this with cannabis... do you happen to have any available for upload?

K

kansasgrown

I will be flying out to my grow op next week. If I remember I will take along my camera and take pictures.

M

myst

This sounds so awesome Ganj! Thanks for posting. And great additional info Zen n' Mizz!

My 2c is keep it super clean.

Do you clean the node with bleach or anything first? Is that agar?

I'm sending my good vibes your way...........

Top Bottom