My $200.00 NFT Rain Gutter system

• Thread starter Canappa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Trich king

Trich king

definitely digging the set up bro. what'd you use to couple the 1/4 in black tubing to the pvc?

Canappa

Canappa

definitely digging the set up bro. what'd you use to couple the 1/4 in black tubing to the pvc?

That was the hard part, I used 1/4 plastic barbed fittings I thought I ordered 1/8 fittings so put a 1/4 sleeve over the barbed fitting an the 1/4 hose and used epoxy to seal it all. If I would have used a 1/8 fitting it would have worked out better.

ZONER

ZONER

Real nice setup Canappa, might have to try it myself ...:D
Have you ever thought about trying out different plastic size milk jugs 1 quart, 1/2 Gallon or a 1 Gallon filled with water then frozen and placed into the resivor, just thinking you may be able to find a sweet spot temp wise in the res. Then you can always refreeze them and drop em back in the res as needed.
Just my 2 cents which is probably worth some where around ????? One penny

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

The purpose for the pvc pipe is to allow water to transfer water from the right tank to the left tank where the pump is . I was going to run two pumps and keep it seperate but I wanted to keep the cost down and the single pump provides great pressure for all 28jets. The gutter is bolted on with 5/16 nut and bolts running along the sides.

nice! Yeah that pump looks like it's more than enough...and I totally thought there was some sort of metal strip between the gutters but now I can see it's just the flash.

Motivating me to do a little NFT just for the fun of it!

Canappa

Canappa

Thanks for the tip bro, yeh I might just have to try that one day to see if it might help. But temps are staying in the low 70's If they get higher I will add the chiller.

Canappa

Canappa

nice! Yeah that pump looks like it's more than enough...and I totally thought there was some sort of metal strip between the gutters but now I can see it's just the flash.

Motivating me to do a little NFT just for the fun of it!

NFT systems been around since the 70's why its that popular today I don't know but, Don't knock it till you try it..

dankity dank

dankity dank

Man I just read this thread and been lookin for a way to get away from the dirt and haveing to take away soil and all that after harvest. U sure got me thinking lol. What's the foot print of this system? And 4-1k for !lighting?great job man

Canappa

Canappa

Thanks @dankity dank, and Welcome to the Farm I hope you enjoy your stay:)

It took me 20 years to get where I am at, I love the system My last run some of my girls where 7 zips , must run 4-1k each NFT system is different depends on your taste. It not hard to run just a lost art to old skool for some people. Check out my page https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/canappas-gutter-grows.66281/page-5#post-1472094

I have helped a few farmers get started @FlyinJStable and @Smokey503ski has one going right now similar to mines, check it out its a nice set up https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/my-new-nft-build.73187/page-4#post-1473151.

Once you go NFT you will never go back to Dirt. yeh some people say that dirt taste better lol I can prove them wrong
If you ever need help setting it up I will be glad to help.

dankity dank

dankity dank

Thank you very much sir. .I'm new to the forum so don't know my way around here much but I'm learning. Thanks man I will check out ya buddies nft grows and I'll be taking note lol I'm sure I'll have plenty questions. Would white sewer pipe work? As opposed to the rain gutter ?

Canappa

Canappa

Thank you very much sir. .I'm new to the forum so don't know my way around here much but I'm learning. Thanks man I will check out ya buddies nft grows and I'll be taking note lol I'm sure I'll have plenty questions. Would white sewer pipe work? As opposed to the rain gutter ?

The Farm is full of great farmers always willing to help. I am sure it will I use gutters because I can take them apart for easy cleaning and they are cheap.

Coir

Coir

Rain gutters are a better option because they have a flat bottom. Rounded surface of pipe increases water depth and lowers oxygen concentration which CAN lead to higher incidences of root rot. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who disagree and good for them. The best thing for you to do is to try both and see for yourself.
I have seen systems made from pipe that worked well but they were filled with perlite or some other medium to help keep the roots suspended above the nutrient solution. A total mess to clean up at the end of the crop though!

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Here's where I can chime in from my recent build.
I decided to put my 3/4" pvc pipe with sprayers inside the tubes.
And I have a few sprayers that clogged from debris from the build.
I can't pull the plants out to fix the clogged sprayer. I would end up ripping the roots off if I did.
Lesson learned.
Really wishing I went with @Canappa design and put them outside. Just couldn't find the correct fitting to do so.

Canappa

Canappa

Rain gutters are a better option because they have a flat bottom. Rounded surface of pipe increases water depth and lowers oxygen concentration which CAN lead to higher incidences of root rot. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who disagree and good for them. The best thing for you to do is to try both and see for yourself.
I have seen systems made from pipe that worked well but they were filled with perlite or some other medium to help keep the roots suspended above the nutrient solution. A total mess to clean up at the end of the crop though!

Thanks for you input on the subject You are correct the mess is problem and the gutters have these raised grooves in it which allow for the water to have a and effect like the rapid in a river creating more oxygen.

Last edited:
Canappa

Canappa

Really wishing I went with @Canappa design and put them outside. Just couldn't find the correct fitting to do so.

Here you might want to read this link below @dankity dank , it has a lot of valuable information to help you in the future grows.

@Smokey503ski As for the correct fitting you wont find any its trial and error my friend, I am still working on a better way myself when I find it I will let you know...

https://books.google.com/books?id=spOi7N2slikC&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=Nft+systems+in+the+70's&source=bl&ots=ko69qe_N5I&sig=nua88Q32O4gzYCgODbjZs32dImk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Yp1oVeShOYnKoASc0IDIBg&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Nft systems in the 70's&f=false

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Here you might want to read this link below @dankity dank , it has a lot of valuable information to help you in the future grows.

@Smokey503ski As for the correct fitting you wont find any its trial and error my friend, I am still working on a better way myself when I find it I will let you know...

https://books.google.com/books?id=spOi7N2slikC&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=Nft+systems+in+the+70's&source=bl&ots=ko69qe_N5I&sig=nua88Q32O4gzYCgODbjZs32dImk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Yp1oVeShOYnKoASc0IDIBg&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Nft systems in the 70's&f=false
I hear ya. I first picked up some of the Top Hat Seals. Never tried them. Just didn't seem like they will hold a watertight seal.

billy liar

billy liar

I've used tubes before with a manifold on the outside, and these tees in the manifold. The small spigot on the tee was around 7-8mm in diameter so a hole the same size was drilled in the top of the tube. The spigot is threaded on the inside and various sprayers would fit and pass through the hole in the tube, so I could play with different spray heads 90° or 180° etc.. No seals and worked well.

Peace
BL

Canappa

Canappa

Ok I just set up for the next round made a few changes again. I went back to my simple set up its seems to work the best One pump supplies the water to the end of the gutter through a 3/8 pipe. the current flow is really fast just the way they like it. here is a few pics of the update.
IMG 20150801 1856381
IMG 20150801 1902331

superbudding

superbudding

I used to do this with 4" sewer pipe with holesawed holes in the top and net pots.

FRSHgost

FRSHgost

Hey @Canappa, know this is a rather old thread but had a ? I was hoping to get chimed in on. With this type of arrangement did you ever have your roots make their way to the res? Would you trim them back, or let them go? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom