My first sulfur burn!

• Thread starter Prime C
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Well I been having a pm problem so im doing my first sulfur burn to try and kick this in the butt. I turned everything off (fans) and im going to burn for 1hr 30min.

So how long do i let the room set before turning my fans back on?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I'd burn for 4 hours. I like to keep light off plants for 3-4 or 6 hours but I turn fans right back on after unplugging burner or however your doing that(timer) or whatever is clever.

It dries out your room a bit too so I like to have the plants watered good the day I do it or slightly before as I don't like the odor and don't wanna be in there that day to have to water after a sulfuring...

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I've had lights on a hour or two after sulfur vaping and it works fine but seems to stress the leaves a pinch it seems. Overall, the sulfur odor will be the worst part of this, but do it a couple times a few days apart and you should be able to harvest without a drop of pm if your conditions and the rest is working well enough.

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
I'd burn for 4 hours. I like to keep light off plants for 3-4 or 6 hours but I turn fans right back on after unplugging burner or however your doing that(timer) or whatever is clever.

It dries out your room a bit too so I like to have the plants watered good the day I do it or slightly before as I don't like the odor and don't wanna be in there that day to have to water after a sulfuring...
I've had lights on a hour or two after sulfur vaping and it works fine but seems to stress the leaves a pinch it seems. Overall, the sulfur odor will be the worst part of this, but do it a couple times a few days apart and you should be able to harvest without a drop of pm if your conditions and the rest is working well enough.

Cool thx baba! My lights will be off for about 4 hrs after. Im going to repeat in a few days ill try 3 hrs. Im about 5 weeks in so I hope this dont change the taste.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
it might turn your pistils orange a bit prematurely but it'll be ok. Just don't burn past week 4 is my motto, but 5 should be fine if your going 9-10 weeks but yeah maybe only do a couple hours on the next burn.

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
it might turn your pistils orange a bit prematurely but it'll be ok. Just don't burn past week 4 is my motto, but 5 should be fine if your going 9-10 weeks but yeah maybe only do a couple hours on the next burn.
Im going 9 weeks. Gotta make it to the finish line!

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

Just curious...what effect would the residual sulfur have on your lungs when smoked? I've always thought the sulfur vapor, once it settles on the plants is there in an indoor garden due to no sun or rain to wash/rinse it so to speak. I know several peeps who have used em in the past and have always wondered about that. MGG

Alice D

Alice D

Just a heads up to any farmers that burn sulfur,beware of spraying any kind of foilar products that contain oils in them before using sulfur. The sulfur will stick and burn the plants. IME sulfur works very well at nipping that PM in the butt. Sulfur is more effective at preventing the formation of powdery mildew than treating a moderate-to-heavy infection. When used improperly or at to high concentration,it can cause leaf damage. Still,it is a effective method of controlling the infection. Another trick since fungi die in alkaline environment,is to adjust the ph of the leaf surface so it's alkaline. With a Ph of over 8 is one of the simplest solutions for powdery mildew. Also silica helps strengthen the stem,serves as an alkaline adjustor,and has natural fungicidal properties. Also foilar sprays can be made using fungicides such as cinnamon oil or tea,copper,garlic,herbal oils,hydrogen peroxide,D-limonene(citrus oil),milk,neem oil and vinegar. Potassium bicarbonate is very effective also. Some biological controls work great against mildew. The bacterium Bacillus subtilis (strain QST713) is often known as brand name serenade. It's safe to humans and animals,but is highly detrimental to fungi. When used weekly,it's puts powdery mildew into remission. Another strain of bacteria,Bacillus pumilus (QST 2808 strain)produces a compound that disrupts fungal development. This strain is known as Sonata. Sonata does not eradicate powdery mildew completely,but it works well in combination with serenade or other solutions to greatly reduce an infection. Info provided by Ed Rosenthal. I'm just the messenger.

sixstring

sixstring

how big is your room bm? I run 3 hours in a 12'x20'x9.5'h and it seems to be the sweet spot only needing one burn to do the job.i set mine up to start 10 mins after lights out and I don't turn anything back on until the end of my 12 hour dark cycle.i do use a real small fan on low to blow some of the vapor to the far side of my room but that's the only thing running.the longer it sits without fans moving it off the plants the better job it will do.
as far as the sulfer getting in your body question,its already there lol.most chem ferts are made from some form of sulfer,as well as many other things around us.but that doesn't mean you should go back into your room right after a burn without a respirator or at least something cotton over your mouth.you can od on water if you drink enough lol.2-3 hours after a burn is safe,by then the vapor should have settled.if its bad in your room,do another burn in a few days like 3 or 4.but if your room is as big as mine 1 hour wont knock it out.gl bm

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
how big is your room bm? I run 3 hours in a 12'x20'x9.5'h and it seems to be the sweet spot only needing one burn to do the job.i set mine up to start 10 mins after lights out and I don't turn anything back on until the end of my 12 hour dark cycle.i do use a real small fan on low to blow some of the vapor to the far side of my room but that's the only thing running.the longer it sits without fans moving it off the plants the better job it will do.
as far as the sulfer getting in your body question,its already there lol.most chem ferts are made from some form of sulfer,as well as many other things around us.but that doesn't mean you should go back into your room right after a burn without a respirator or at least something cotton over your mouth.you can od on water if you drink enough lol.2-3 hours after a burn is safe,by then the vapor should have settled.if its bad in your room,do another burn in a few days like 3 or 4.but if your room is as big as mine 1 hour wont knock it out.gl bm

My room is smaller and only 7 ft ceilings Its odd because of knee walls in this mi basement. I'll go a little longer on the next burn like 2 hrs.

sixstring

sixstring

yeah the smell of sulfer should be overwhelming when you first go in there,but it will fade after 24 hours or so.i try to cover a lot of electronics like ballasts,if its close to the burner.and I also hang my burner low,like 2 feet off the floor because the stuff tends to go straight up before spreading out.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Don't forget that people used to burn sulfur to clean/sanitize rooms and homes, it's meant to coat everything. Cover your bulbs after they've cooled off (I use those towels that come in a pack from Costco, just wait for the bulb to cool down and wrap it up) and anything you don't want coated in sulfur.

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

Alright so let me ask again...if the sulfur covers everything, including the plants and bud (obviously), how safe is the bud gonna be to smoke when its finished? Just curious what the effects of the residual sulfur would be to your body overall but especially your lungs? Do we have a Dr. in the house?? :DMGG

Last edited:
sixstring

sixstring

Again I ask...if the sulfur covers everything, including the plants and bud (obviously), how safe is the bud gonna be to smoke when its finished? MGG

Its as safe as lighting a smoke with a match.unless
Your totally organic the bud already has sulfer in it and I would not do a burn on plants ready to harvest, but those could be covered if your worried.sulfer is good for plants and people in the proper amounts.its Def less harmful then a foliar spray of Chem ferts or most fungicides.
but you could do a foliar spray of plain water a few days before harvest if you wanted to wash or clean the buds/plants.

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

Its as safe as lighting a smoke with a match.unless
Your totally organic the bud already has sulfer in it and I would not do a burn on plants ready to harvest, but those could be covered if your worried.sulfer is good for plants and people in the proper amounts.its Def less harmful then a foliar spray of Chem ferts or most fungicides.
but you could do a foliar spray of plain water a few days before harvest if you wanted to wash or clean the buds/plants.

Interesting Six...thanks for the feedback. Was just curious. MGG

sixstring

sixstring

Interesting Six...thanks for the feedback. Was just curious. MGG
its cool mgg,check this out

Sulfur is a chemical element that is naturally present in the human body. Also found in a number of foods (such as garlic and onions), sulfur is necessary for the synthesis of two essential amino acids (cysteine and methionine).

Uses for Sulfur Supplements
As a supplement, sulfur is available in the form of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and methylsulfonylmethane (MSM).

Although sulfur deficiency is very rare, sulfur-containing supplements are sometimes used to increase sulfur levels and protect against certain health conditions, including:

theres tons of other info on sulfer but like I said too much of anything is not good and that goes for sulfer.you def do not want to inhale a bunch of vapors coming off a sulfer burner or get it on plants that are ready to harvest if you can avoid it.peace

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

Right on Six...that's what I was wondering. There are so many things that are fine to be ingested orally, and mayne of those our bodies actually need. My question was exactly that, if it was safe to be smoked if there WAS in fact residual sulfur on the bud, say it was done too late in the flower cycle. Awesome info bro, thanks. MGG

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If it ends up becoming sulfur dioxide, I doubt it's 'safe'. That said, I didn't want to risk that flavor being on my buds so at the end of the cycle I washed 'em, literally. Chopped, dunked, shook & hung. I used a mix of isopropyl alcohol and RO water to help ensure no residue would be left behind.

sixstring

sixstring

I guess I should clarify, don't eat or inhale the suffer during or after a burn :)
if you use them early in flower the plant will consume the suffer and there would be no chance of pm developing unless you have a terrible growing environment and even then the chances are slim to none.

Alice D

Alice D

If it ends up becoming sulfur dioxide, I doubt it's 'safe'. That said, I didn't want to risk that flavor being on my buds so at the end of the cycle I washed 'em, literally. Chopped, dunked, shook & hung. I used a mix of isopropyl alcohol and RO water to help ensure no residue would be left behind.
We've got PM just a couple weeks before harvest and tried to control with serenade but it didn't completely wipe it out so when chopping everything down we decided to do a wash similar except we used hydrogen peroxide and water in a big 100 gallon tub. Then literally took each branch then they got a good rinse in fresh which pretty much washed the remaining mold off then hung with big fans to water to drip dry. It worked very well. Amber found a video of Jorge Cervantes doing this which helped because I was ready to bubble hash the whole crop.

Top Bottom