Need Help On Lights

• Thread starter Iceman2494
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FutureGrower

I recently purchased two 100W LED lights from Super Brights LEDs online for my flowering tent. They are in the 4000K range. They output 12,000 lumens each, they cost me $80.00 each; I just harvested my first plant, a Blueberry. Previously I was using a 400W magnetic induction florescent light in the 3000K spectrum. My yields from the 400W magnetic induction were always pathetic compared to using a 1000W HPS. I went from 3-4 oz per plant down to 1-1.5OZ per plant (soil grown, organic nutrients). The results were that the new LED lights doubled my yield (2oz compared to 1 oz), and significantly increased the potency as well. This seems to verify new research that claims LED and more blue spectrum enhances THC production.

I'm just a hobbyist growing a bit for fun, but I am into the science of it.

Whenever you upgrade to more efficient LED technology you'll love it even more! Most of those blurple colored LEDs run very inefficient diodes and the fact that your yield was better with HPS using the same watts...

The average to replace a 1000w hps setup is 600 watts of good LEDs, look into some quantum boards, samsung strips, or even COBs (chip on board) you wont go back!

B

Buddy Brain

Whenever you upgrade to more efficient LED technology you'll love it even more! Most of those blurple colored LEDs run very inefficient diodes and the fact that your yield was better with HPS using the same watts...

The average to replace a 1000w hps setup is 600 watts of good LEDs, look into some quantum boards, samsung strips, or even COBs (chip on board) you wont go back!
No

no need to go to 600 watts of LED. Here’s the math: suppose the 1000W HPS is producing 100,000 lumens 12” away form the bulb, well you can’t have your plant canopy that close, you will burn your precious buds. So at 24” from the bulb the lumens will drop to 25,000. The two LED lights I am using produce 12,000 lumens each, for a total of 24,000 lumens, pretty much the same as the HPS output.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
You are not claiming 200w of led can replace 1000w hps right?

Iceman2494

Iceman2494

1.1pc 288 V2 board(Samsung lm301b SK top bin,3000K),
2.1pc dimmable Meanwell driver HLG-120H-48B, 120W,
3.1pc heatsink (326X195X10mm),
4.1xdimmer switch,
5.hanger, hang wires, connectors, wires, 2pcs plug and screws,

I’m just going to do this right now . It’s only 158$ with shipping . Hope this helps my 2x4x6 . Think this added with my other lights I can go through a whole grow and add another 288 in future

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
What do you have right now?
Blurples are not bad imho. Not the greatest. Ok. But still a viable option when you are short on cash or want to save on electricity. After all they emit light in the two narrow spectral range that plant utilizes most efficiently. Lots of the lights we use to grow like cobs are listed as lm/w, which means nothing. Even umol/w or umol/j are iffy. These full spectrum lights emit a lot of green, yellow and orange. And every watt used for producing these colours are watts not used for producing blues and reds.
But i am diy’ing a cob setup myself and i am now using another setup i made. Which pulls about 520watts from the wall. I got 4 plants going (2 NL, 2 Dinachem). I grew the same plants under my 320w blurples. 1 of each and pulled 3.5 oz from NL and close to 2 oz from dinachem. Well we’ll see if these full spectrum leds i use now will beat blurples or not.

Last edited:
Jbellsmoke

Jbellsmoke

Was using Mars and vipar for first few years getting into growing and I thought they were great. Was getting decent yields for watts I was pulling and good quality bud. Ended up getting a cob setup from rapid led and a 600 hps. The cobs been great for veg room and the hps is no comparing to the cheap leds. Yields are much greater with the hps. Still use the leds for side lighting.

Iceman2494

Iceman2494

Was using Mars and vipar for first few years getting into growing and I thought they were great. Was getting decent yields for watts I was pulling and good quality bud. Ended up getting a cob setup from rapid led and a 600 hps. The cobs been great for veg room and the hps is no comparing to the cheap leds. Yields are much greater with the hps. Still use the leds for side lighting.
Have another cheap blurp . Gotten my girl this far. I can get the one qb 288 or 2 126 125 w web boards . Not sure what I should get .

8CD6B318 BF47 4C78 9FB7 30B3B944830A
B49DB9B0 3260 4FF6 9873 6897531649E6
44C818D7 445B 43A4 BAF1 FA7FC3088058
B9227E41 FF0F 4957 900D 87ACC6DE2799
F

FutureGrower

1.1pc 288 V2 board(Samsung lm301b SK top bin,3000K),
2.1pc dimmable Meanwell driver HLG-120H-48B, 120W,
3.1pc heatsink (326X195X10mm),
4.1xdimmer switch,
5.hanger, hang wires, connectors, wires, 2pcs plug and screws,

I’m just going to do this right now . It’s only 158$ with shipping . Hope this helps my 2x4x6 . Think this added with my other lights I can go through a whole grow and add another 288 in future

Yup! You can always add as the budget allows as you said man. I think you'll be happy!

Jbellsmoke

Jbellsmoke

Im not most knowledgeable guy to be suggesting lights but for 190 $ for 600w hps I would go for bro. U won't be disappointed with the yields.

F

FutureGrower

No

no need to go to 600 watts of LED. Here’s the math: suppose the 1000W HPS is producing 100,000 lumens 12” away form the bulb, well you can’t have your plant canopy that close, you will burn your precious buds. So at 24” from the bulb the lumens will drop to 25,000. The two LED lights I am using produce 12,000 lumens each, for a total of 24,000 lumens, pretty much the same as the HPS output.

Unless you have some new magic you aren't going to see a 500% efficiency increase, at least nothing I have ever heard of... I assumed you meant 1000 watt of led's there's just so many of those blurples that are 1000 watts lol. I'm glad you are enjoying your new setup though man!

B

Buddy Brain

You are not claiming 200w of led can replace 1000w hps right?
I don’t know for sure yet. These are white LEDs in the 4000K spectrum. Actually I will create some controversy by saying these new low cost LED bulbs are superior. I say that because I have total consensus from four people besides myself that this batch is holy shit more potent than the last batch grown with the other light setup. More... guess what.... researchers in Canada say that more blue spectrum significantly enhances THC and other terpene production. That makes the old HPS obsolete in my opinion. I don’t have a dog in this fight except as a hobbyist growing my own mess. But I have been at it for 8 years, so am not a newbie.
Back to the original post, one of these lights is a perfect solution for a low cost light setup for someone with a small tent who wants to grow 1-2 plants

B

Buddy Brain

Unless you have some new magic you aren't going to see a 500% efficiency increase, at least nothing I have ever heard of... I assumed you meant 1000 watt of led's there's just so many of those blurples that are 1000 watts lol. I'm glad you are enjoying your new setup though man!
Thanks- no burbles, this is a “white light” LED lamp in the 4000K spectrum. Best of all this bud was way more potent than the last plant I grew. More blue spectrum makes for more THC and other terpenoid production

F

FutureGrower

I don’t know for sure yet. These are white LEDs in the 4000K spectrum. Actually I will create some controversy by saying these new low cost LED bulbs are superior. I say that because I have total consensus from four people besides myself that this batch is holy shit more potent than the last batch grown with the other light setup. More... guess what.... researchers in Canada say that more blue spectrum significantly enhances THC and other terpene production. That makes the old HPS obsolete in my opinion. I don’t have a dog in this fight except as a hobbyist growing my own mess. But I have been at it for 8 years, so am not a newbie.
Back to the original post, one of these lights is a perfect solution for a low cost light setup for someone with a small tent who wants to grow 1-2 plants

Theres alot of really cool studies going on now about optimal Kelvin ratings, the current consensus is 3-4000k is optimal for full spectrum start to finish, but theres some claiming 5k and up even. I would assume those are getting results because the efficacy of the higher kelvin ratings is much better. 2700k is believed to be the best for resin production, however people are starting to believe this isn't the truth. I dont have the experience to say any which way.

The thing about cheap chinese diodes (I dont know what exactly type of led diodes the setup you are running has) is the arent actually very efficient at converting electricity to light. As a matter of fact cheap Chinese diodes have been less efficient as hps/mh in cases.

Higher end diodes convert much more electricity into light, so imagine the yield and potency increase you can get with higher end stuff. (Again the fixtureyou have might have great diodes I'm too lazy too look even though I wrote this whole thing up lol.)

B

Buddy Brain

Ok- I am talking about effective lumens, not total. 200W of the white light LED is producing 24,000 lumens, but there is no heat, so the plant canopy can be much closer to the light source. HPS lights (all light sources) are measured at 12” from the bulb. Most folks are probably keeping their top buds nearly 24” away from their 1000W HPS to prevent burning. At a distance of 24” those 100,000 drop to 25,000 lumens ( you need to divide by 4, that is the calculation. So if I am running two 100W white LED lamps (4000K spectrum), and getting 24,000 lumens at 12” is effectively very close to the same lumens.

Top Bottom