Need more root room, 30 gal system

• Thread starter woodsmaneh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Well here it goes, the building of a 9 pod RDWC system with 30 gal. barrels. So the problem with my current system, 13 gal UnderCurrent is the root mass fills the pod right up so need more room. So I decided to build one big monster for my plants. Here are the start pictures. The part that surprised me when building was the price of the 4" schedule 40 pipe and fittings, big bucks. You can see the difference in the filters, I need one that will flow 2500gph. So I have about $3600 into it so far. I discovered I need to move my other system over by 18" for it to fit. As I am in the build state any suggestions are encouraged and welcome. Building it was not about saving money but solving a root room issue. I have to believe that a root mass that comes out looking like a loaf of bread it is so compacted, can't be the best for the roots, so I think these 30gal will solve the issue. The last Pix is part of my security detail, she's the smallest one 70 lb, I named one of my crosses (the one I have in the UC now) after her, Big Storm.

9 30 gal barrels $200
1 45gal top up res. $30
1 hp chiller $800 (got a smoking deal)
1 280 watt air pump $300
1 2245gph water pump $250
Hayward filter trap $85
4" piping and fittings$750
20 4" Uniseals $300
2 1" Uniseals $10
9 HD 12" net pots $60
1 ton air $500

Need more root room 30 gal system

Need more root room 30 gal system 2

Need more root room 30 gal system 3

Need more root room 30 gal system 4

Need more root room 30 gal system 5

Need more root room 30 gal system 6

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Why moved does this have to be original equipment only?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
Current Culture is paid advertiser here at the farm

you didnt buy this system from them -- its a DIY

pretty straight forward really

looking forward to the show

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

OK, just never thought about it, my bad. So will continue from here, thanks for explaining.:bow

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

This looks like it will be kicking ass very soon......keep up the good work Woodsmaneh!

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

Im interested to see how those 4" uniseals work on the rounded surface of the barrel..
looks like a great build out :) can't wait to see it in action :)

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
45 gal top off res?

your gonna be filling that pretty often when the blow up

HG23

HG23

Wow, that is really expensive for the 4" PVC! Do you know why it costs that much?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

The pipe is over kill for the system but it's what works with the uniseals. It has to be schedule 40 PVC to fit. You can buy the white stuff they use for pools it's cheaper.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

So finally have the system together but have a leak in one of the elbows, my bad so off to the store to get 1 coupler and 1 90 elbow, that should be about 50$ then some repairs and another water test. I hope to have plants in there by Sunday so stay tuned.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

yup I had ladies in but the room is too small for the system, they were at 3 weeks but did not get the chiller running till last week. Anyway I am moving the system next week and will get it fired up again and will start a log.

Thanks for dropping by.

G

gettogro

How did the uniseals work on the round barrels? I couldnt get them to seal on my Brute build so I had to use bulkheads instead. Just curious if the 4" sealed up tight.
Love to see it in action.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Laughing that the system was too big for the room- not laughing at you, just laughing because it's a mistake I keep making!

Top Bottom