Nitrogen Deficient? Not Sure.. Please Help

• Thread starter RippedCity96
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RippedCity96

About 4-5 weeks into flowering and my outdoor Pot Of Gold strain recently started feeding with general hydroponics go box using 1/3 recommended nutrient levels. Fan leaves have begun turning pale and yellow then dying and curling up from the tips. very slow process. Also some tips appear to be taking on a faint purple tint. This is my first grow and any input helps.

Nitrogen deficient not sure please help
Nitrogen deficient not sure please help 2
Nitrogen deficient not sure please help 3
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Check your soils ph. She might have nute lockout. If you aren’t using a source of calcium and magnesium then calmag is a great supplement to add to your lineup.

R

RippedCity96

Check your soils ph. She might have nute lockout. If you aren’t using a source of calcium and magnesium then calmag is a great supplement to add to your lineup.
So there is a cal mag that I was using and all my feedings have been ,6.3-6.5 pH. Unfortunately I broke my soil tester so I can't tell for sure what the soil pH is at though. Maybe bump up a hair on the cal mag?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
My guess without knowing for sure is the soils ph has drifted down below the ideal range of 6.3-7.0. This happens a lot and locks out important nutrients the roots need to supply the plant. The nutrients might be present but if the ph is too low they won’t be taken up by the plant. So without knowing for sure that would be my guess.

Also calmag often times lowers the ph of the solution as it’s very acidic. So by bumping it up you may actually make matters worse. The main thing you need to do is figure out exactly what’s causing the lockout and fix that first. The soils ph will tell you a lot about where to look next.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
You can buy a soil ph test kit that also includes tests for N-P-K so you’ll know exactly what’s available to your plant in the soil once you figure out the ph. Just knowing the ph is half the battle. Once you figure that out knowing the amount of nutrients in the soil will help determine where to go next.

R

RippedCity96

My guess without knowing for sure is the soils ph has drifted down below the ideal range of 6.3-7.0. This happens a lot and locks out important nutrients the roots need to supply the plant. The nutrients might be present but if the ph is too low they won’t be taken up by the plant. So without knowing for sure that would be my guess.

Also calmag often times lowers the ph of the solution as it’s very acidic. So by bumping it up you may actually make matters worse. The main thing you need to do is figure out exactly what’s causing the lockout and fix that first. The soils ph will tell you a lot about where to look next.

R

RippedCity96

But even with the cal mag I pH it to 6.3-6.5 before feeding the plant and I also tested the runnoff from the plant which didn't vary in pH from when poured. Not sure if that changes anything lol.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
6.3 is the very bottom of the ph range. To be safe I’d ph it to 6.8 so you have room to drop before lockout occurs. But you’re free to do as you wish.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

As you can see you can get a lot of differing opinions

NPK Industries makes a full line of RAW dry nutrients, including N, They are available in small packets

IMO it looks like natural dieing off of some leafs at this stage, but they can also give themselves up in case of a deficiency

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
transitioning from veg to flower is a balancing act. The goal is to have good vigorous growth during veg to set the size and structure of the plant heading into flowering. The balance is feeding enough during veg so that when you hit flower you can back off on N inputs and focus on the flower minerals that become needed more. The balance is to make enough N available so as to not create a N toxic situation so when you hit flower the plant has enough N stored so it can scavenge what little N it needs from whats stored in its leaves.

Yellowing and loss of lower and mid plant leaves is normal in flowering cannabis however from my house it looks like you may not have had enough N early on and as the plants hit flower and started building bud sites this lack of N is showing itself. Cause it looks like the yellowing is more advanced than it should be this early in flower.

Or as other have mentioned you need to get a better idea of what is happening in your rootzone, Ph wise.

In closing, once you know what your rootzone Ph is and if it isn't a nute lockout situation then by process of elimination you will know that on your next run you need to increase your N inputs during veg so that when your gurls hit flower mode they will have enough N stored in its tissues to get you to the finish line. And here is the balancing act I spoke of , don't get carried away and cause a nitrogen toxicity situation as this will stall your cycle and then you will have to deal with the consequences of reversing that issue.

Hope that made sense.

Monster762

Monster762

I wouldn’t press adding any n in flower. Calmag is usually 4 ml per gal. I’ve bumped to 7 before. It also is n. All the n you should need in flower. I would bump calmag a little in feeds if you’re not over 4 ml already. It’ll balance out the fading but I like seeing em fade out as far as possible before chop sometimes means running half of flower lime green

Big thing is you don’t want to bump levels to where it’s stored up in the plant at the end.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
thats the balancing act I was talking about. Just enough N to get to the finish line with a nice fade!!!

R

RippedCity96

transitioning from veg to flower is a balancing act. The goal is to have good vigorous growth during veg to set the size and structure of the plant heading into flowering. The balance is feeding enough during veg so that when you hit flower you can back off on N inputs and focus on the flower minerals that become needed more. The balance is to make enough N available so as to not create a N toxic situation so when you hit flower the plant has enough N stored so it can scavenge what little N it needs from whats stored in its leaves.

Yellowing and loss of lower and mid plant leaves is normal in flowering cannabis however from my house it looks like you may not have had enough N early on and as the plants hit flower and started building bud sites this lack of N is showing itself. Cause it looks like the yellowing is more advanced than it should be this early in flower.

Or as other have mentioned you need to get a better idea of what is happening in your rootzone, Ph wise.

In closing, once you know what your rootzone Ph is and if it isn't a nute lockout situation then by process of elimination you will know that on your next run you need to increase your N inputs during veg so that when your gurls hit flower mode they will have enough N stored in its tissues to get you to the finish line. And here is the balancing act I spoke of , don't get carried away and cause a nitrogen toxicity situation as this will stall your cycle and then you will have to deal with the consequences of reversing that issue.

Hope that made sense.
That seems extremely logical

R

RippedCity96

Thank you all for the input I did not feed with nutrients during the vegetative state at all cause I was told the soil would have 4 weeks of nutrients already (Fox farms ocean grow) therefore I didn't feed these girls with nutrients until 2 weeks into flowering. The leaves are super easy to pull off once they've yellowrd so I'm leaning towards the nitrogen deficiency. Thanks again everyone and stay high

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

Look hungry to me my friend. These guys that are saying don't add any veg nutes that early in bloom lol. You should be using about a 50/50 ratio veg and bloom, especially that early in bloom. She's in the stretch phase, witch is the "final veg phase", she needs that nitrogen building block to create hearty stems to support heavy buds. Never cut your veg nuts till you're certain the stretch has come to an end. That lack of nitrogen will cause other deficiencies also, it needs that number 1 element to support the other P K and other secondary elements. This is especially import with outdoor grows because rain is leaching the soil. GH nutes are mild anyway and I'm an exclusive Floranova nutrient line user and i know for a fact that you have to add nitrogen at least to the end of stretch because with that line just using bloom you're plants will start to yellow almost immediately!
I've fought with people about nitrogen in bloom on here a million times but that old theory of cutting nitrogen at onset of bloom is out! People are finding through yield and I've been saying it for years through my experience that nitrogen add significant yield to you're plants. Truthfully I don't stop adding nitrogen until I start my final week to 2 week flush and my plants stay green and vigorous through out bloom until I start that final flush and happy plants rewards you with bigger yields. I found keep you're plants green and happy as possible till you decide to let them consume themselves in final couple weeks of flushing. It's all based on what nutrient line you're using clearly but for GH lines about 50/50 veg bloom till the end of stretch and about 70/30 bloom veg till flush.

Last edited:
R

RippedCity96

That's something I was told recently specifically regarding gh. I'm going to give it a shot she get fed 2-3 times per week how often should I give nutes? Every other? Once a week?

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

Every watering and I wouldn't even shoot for runoff with GH. 50/50 till the end of around week 5. Start now and that yellowing will stop in a few days and she'll look like she's back up and running. That lack of nitrogen just cases the plant to be tired and fighting for energy.

Last edited:
KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

All that yellowing is is the plant is starting to consume itself and really early in you're case. You don't want any of that till you decide it's time for her to cannabilize herself and you'll want to do that in the final coupke weeks after she's reached her peak growth and she's gave up.

Top Bottom