Purp-fest 2017

• Thread starter MamaBear
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MamaBear

Been meaning to get this grow journal started for a while now.

Grow info:
Greenhouse
organic soil (my own mix)
Dr. Earth Tomato/Veg/Herb for veg
Dr. Earth Flower Girl for flowering
Occasional feeding with molasses and compost tea

Strains:
Granddaddy Purple F4 (Ken's)
Grandaddy Purple (Blimburn)
Ayahuasca Purple (Barney's Farm)
The Purps (BCBD)
Shaman/Purple Skunk (Dutch Passion)
Ultimate Purple x GDP
Purple Afghan Kush x GDP

As you can see, I love the purple weed! I've been working for several years now breeding the toughest, healthiest, smelliest purple plants. So far, I've locked down the purple in several strains so green phenos are getting rare. It's taken a while since I don't just breed for purple - they gotta be great smoke too!

M

MamaBear

Seeds are planted directly in soil and I had 100% germination.

Many of my plants show purple right out of their shells. Purple cotyledons are the first "purple signal".
These plants are guaranteed to show purple later since they are "born" already producing anthocyanin.
PB2

PB1

PB6

PB3

Plants that show purple early will usually go full-green during veg. The green (chlorophyll) covers the purple. Most purple plants tend to be very dark green though, which is another good "purple signal".

M

MamaBear

Started all seeds in tree seedling pots. Lets them get a nice long tap root and I love the racks they sit in.

Babies

We had a serious cold snap here in CO so had to bring them in for a few days. Fortunately I had just received my new LED fixture. Thanks to MandyJane for doing all the legwork and steering me in the right direction. The VIPARSPECTRA 600 is awesome!!
IMG 20170429 122807

M

MamaBear

Trying to catch up with pics!
Plants are about 8 weeks old now and are up-potted to 1-gal pots. I train by topping above every 3rd node on all branches. They need a few days to recover from each topping and purple indicas are pretty slow to begin with. I'll continue topping until they start their stretch just before flowering.

PAK (black cherry pheno) x GDP
3 girls and 2 gorgeous boys
2 of the girls and 1 of the boys sprouted purple and are showing darker splotches on their leaves (purple-sign)
Overall, very healthy, beefy plants. Thick hollow stems with huge leaves.
Node spacing on all plants are short (even the boys).
PAK girls 342

PAK boys 51

Ayahuasca Purple were FEM seeds. Planted 3 - all doing great so far. Looks like 2 diff phenos.
The 2 taller ones pretty much same and all green.
The shorter one on the left sprouted purple and is showing purple in her leaves - much darker green than the others. Stems are already turning red (purple-sign). She has shorter, fatter leaves and is more compact.

All 3 plants have whorled phyllotaxy! First 2 nodes were normal, then they went nuts. Some triple and some quadruple. Never seen anything like it. Will try to get better pics of these girls soon. I've got a GDP male that is whorled too (triple) - gotta hook them up!
AP girls

Shaman/Purple Skunk
Got 2 girls out of 5 seeds. Left one is doing much better now. I accidently snapped her main stem right at soil level and taped it up real quick. It's healed now and she's starting to come back.
I can tell you Shaman does NOT like to be topped! Takes them quite a while to get back to growing. They are long, stringy plants with wide node spacing. She'd probably do better with SCROG.
Overall, these are the smallest plants in the greenhouse. Not just short, but stems are thin and leaves aren't real big. Hope these scrawny girls are worth it. I'll be crossing them with something else to beef up their offspring. Was wanting to bring a little purple skunk into my GDP anyway.
Shaman Girls

More pics coming soon!

lino

lino

I got a surprise for you. Some of your babies wandered into my garden.
What is
(1)BB x GDP(1) is that a #1 blueberry x grand daddy purps #1 ???? mother x father

Sorry they have not been pampered at all. They've been treated very rough, but there holding up with their running mates in fine fashion. THis colo sun is getting brutal,, Trump killing my plants with global warming LOL... so I'm taking clones of the 3 bears and they're going to the river. We're getting so crowded on my farm and in colo. Someone took one of my grow spots this year..:ninja: They're being stupid, leaving trails. I watched em bring buddies, snapping pics, talking loud, leaving and throwing trash in the river, leaving pots around, I left my foot prints right by their plants and the idiots didnt even notice them, they walk rite by my photo and trail traps with no notice or attentions. They planted almost 150 8" plants about 500 yards from my other SMALL undetectable crop. What would you do? :badboy: cut their plants? I had the MamaBear plants in the backpack this morning ready for their new home by the river and I brought them back home after watching this idiots pack in more plants this morning.
MamaPurps

M

MamaBear

is that a #1 blueberry x grand daddy purps #1 ????

Yep, I call them Granddaddy Blue (for lack of a better name). One of the "buttons" you got was this. Took a few gens and a BX to get them stable. They have their own unique flavor/smell. They are beasts and spider mites don't like them much. I never have any problems with these girls. They are not full-purple plants - but the fat buds get a nice light blue color to them - super frosty.

I bred this for my night-time pain&sleep meds - heavy body stone and very sleepy stuff knocks me right out. Quiets the racing thoughts in my head too. They produce really well - got 3oz off mine last year in a 3-gal pot. Would be great to see what they do "in the wild"!!
GDBa

GDBb

IMG 20160912 152139 edit

Srenots

Srenots

Yep, I call them Granddaddy Blue (for lack of a better name). One of the "buttons" you got was this. Took a few gens and a BX to get them stable. They have their own unique flavor/smell. They are beasts and spider mites don't like them much. I never have any problems with these girls. They are not full-purple plants - but the fat buds get a nice light blue color to them - super frosty.

I bred this for my night-time pain&sleep meds - heavy body stone and very sleepy stuff knocks me right out. Quiets the racing thoughts in my head too. They produce really well - got 3oz off mine last year in a 3-gal pot. Would be great to see what they do "in the wild"!!
View attachment 708414

View attachment 708415
View attachment 708416
nice ....

Sun Valley

Sun Valley

Hey purple friends. I'm growing some TGA Locomotion and this little one has popped up. I'm no purple expert so thought I'd drop the pic here. Purps or problem. The rest all look like they could hint at it late but what do you say?
20170611 163008

M

MamaBear

Purps or problem.
OH baby! You got what I call a "full-purple". Purple on the leaves and stems this early is a GOOD sign!!!

The purple may fade out for a while as the chlorophyll overpowers it but it will DEFINATELY come back later.
Plants produce anthocyanin slowly and it builds up over time making the plant darker and darker. New shoots may start out green and purple up as they age.
Also, your purple plants may grow slower than the greens. Takes energy to produce color. Have patience with her and you will be greatly rewarded.

Everyone knows the color comes from Anthocyanin. Some plants can produce it, some can't. Depends on if they have the gene for it.
Think of it this way:
White people are born white and can turn brown (sun tan) but brown people are born brown and stay brown. Depends on which melanin gene you have.

If it's a girl, KEEP HER! If it's a boy, he'll be good for breeding if you want to lock down the purple color in your strains.
I just looked up Locomotion - HOLY SHIT! They got a serious family tree - little bit of everything in there.

Thanks for posting the photo - lots of people don't believe me when I say my babies show color this early.

Latest posts

Top Bottom