Recommended Led Setup To Supplement Hps/mh

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
One end of my operation is a little lacking in lumens and I've been considering options to remedy the shortage. It would most likely be used for a vertical exposure, like you would hang on the back of a door. I'd prefer some of the newer multiple frequency LEDs, possibly with some UVB thrown in for shits n giggles. I could easily build my own but buying all of the components is a pain and I wanted to know if there was one panel that would be better than others. I have tons of MH/HPS light, but just need a couple hundred watts of light to fill in the sag. Obviously, Blurple doesn't sound like the answer...but that's why I'm asking. I have decades of experience wit MH/HPS, but the only LEDs I have is a flashlight.
Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations. FWIW, this isn't a quest for the ultimate setup, more a request for a decent balance between $$$ and quality...like wine by the gallon!:cool:

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

One end of my operation is a little lacking in lumens and I've been considering options to remedy the shortage. It would most likely be used for a vertical exposure, like you would hang on the back of a door. I'd prefer some of the newer multiple frequency LEDs, possibly with some UVB thrown in for shits n giggles. I could easily build my own but buying all of the components is a pain and I wanted to know if there was one panel that would be better than others. I have tons of MH/HPS light, but just need a couple hundred watts of light to fill in the sag. Obviously, Blurple doesn't sound like the answer...but that's why I'm asking. I have decades of experience wit MH/HPS, but the only LEDs I have is a flashlight.
Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations. FWIW, this isn't a quest for the ultimate setup, more a request for a decent balance between $$$ and quality...like wine by the gallon!:cool:

Quantum board or boards (I like the 132’s as they don’t require a heat sink) or some strips of the same leds. My opinion grab 4 132’s off of amazon or HGL and grab a cheap power supply arrow, a multimeter display and potentiometer (super cheap on eBay) and then make a cheap frame with pre cut aluminum angle iron from Home Depot.

Or a single 288 V2 quantum Board would do you nicely

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Quantum board or boards (I like the 132’s as they don’t require a heat sink) or some strips of the same leds. My opinion grab 4 132’s off of amazon or HGL and grab a cheap power supply arrow, a multimeter display and potentiometer (super cheap on eBay) and then make a cheap frame with pre cut aluminum angle iron from Home Depot.

Or a single 288 V2 quantum Board would do you nicely
Are there any detailed threads for DIY? Thanks

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

There are LED bulbs that can be used in T-5 units, the ones I can think off the top of my head are from sunlight supply (yes I know they are Hawthorne now). These have models that have added UV light and come in bloom or veg spectrums. This may be a quick solution for you without major investment.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Ditch those heaters and go led only

I'm a creature of habit. I look forward to basking in the warm glow and 85 degree temps from them heaters! It's like a Zen thing...it's unbelievably relaxing to sit under them and feeling like I'm on the beach in Miami instead of inside the coal cellar in Pennsylvania!:D LEDs are the wave of the future and I know it is only a matter of time before someone makes an easy as pie setup that is sold on TV, making millions.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

They do suck in the summer. But in my basement I cant even get to 75°f @100% 1000w hps in winter

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
They do suck in the summer. But in my basement I cant even get to 75°f @100% 1000w hps in winter

One of my 1st grow attempts was in a friends garage and we had similar issues during the winter. He bought Styrofoam sheets, like insulation, and plastered them along the walls. The Styrofoam helped to keep the temp at least 15F warmer and was white, so it provided the extra bonus of filling in the dark spots. They were pretty cheap and easy to work with. I think he used a couple pieces of double sided tape to hold them to the walls.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

I have a thread with complete build
Info and sources for everything if you search my posts
Excellent. This setup taught me a few expensive lessons.
Coco is hard to over water.
Autos are hard to train and not hinder growth.
Keep things simple with my solutions.
But more than anything was the heat this summer. It was expensive and inefficient having to cool it but hey . My outdoor didnt work as planned so at least I have a nice stash and some beauties coming along.
My/hps works for me. Next room, next grow sesh I will upgrade to led. But fer now roll with what got ya here.
Its never to soon to research. Thats half the fun for me. Some of these newbies come on here asking simple shit. I just tune em out. K I'm done. Thanks jujitsu

Top Bottom