Removing Chloramines

• Thread starter Jafo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jafo

Recently looked into whether my water contains chloramines or not, looks like there has been chloramines in the local water for a few years.
One thing I read about cheaply removing them suggested that boiling a kettle removes about 30% of the chloramines, while boiling water continiously for about 20 minutes removes nearly all of the chloramines.
Anybody know how accurate this info is?

I

ismokepot

If that's related to Chlorine- it's a gas which will evaporate out of the water over night...... jsut let it sit with no lid.

S

SkyHi

Cloramines do not evaporate, go to local pet shop get aquarium de chlorimine stuff

I

ismokepot

Just use an R.O. device and eliminate all these types of issues.....

Z

zoeronerer

most nutrient systems are designed for water with a high mineral content.....i generally use powdered sea chem it is the cheapest on the market for aquarium products....

J

Jafo

Cheers.
I had hoped I could be a cheap skate and get away with boiling water...a suitable scale for my mother plants, cuttings and early veggers...but when I get round to flowering I will need a larger scale production of cleaner water.
Getting sick of showering in water that smells like bleach.

J

Jalisco Kid

That's the reason I bought my merlin, I preferred to mix my tap but now I just buy a better micro. JK

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Hey Jafo, I can highly recommend the Hydrologic Tall boy or you can just go to your regular plumbing store and they have numerous water filters that can be used in many applications for a fraction of the hydrostores....

J

Jafo

Yeah, baba G, found in the past that a lot of high street shops have a lot of equipment that can be used for growing for a fraction of the cost of hydro shops. Just need to keep your eyes open.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback, cheers buds.

BlueBlood

BlueBlood

If you neutralize the PH, and then add maybe a capful of regular (unscented) bleach to 5 gallons, it will release the ammonia component into gas and then the chlorine will evaporate afterwards just the same as it normally would.

:)

Chobble

Chobble

Chloromine can easily be removed via bubling. Get an aquarium bubbler or use your tea bubbler over night.

GreenSpoon

GreenSpoon

a ganjapharmer told me that 1/4 tbls of Hir Brix Molasses will eliminate chloromine and chlorine in water just add it first and let it settle for a bit

can i leave a link to a little bit more info on this or are hot links a no no?

BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Chloromine can easily be removed via bubling. Get an aquarium bubbler or use your tea bubbler over night.
That works for chlorine, I don't think that will work for chloromine. Chloromine is more stable than chlorine. /2cents

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
a ganjapharmer told me that 1/4 tbls of Hir Brix Molasses will eliminate chloromine and chlorine in water just add it first and let it settle for a bit

can i leave a link to a little bit more info on this or are hot links a no no?

I think as long as it's not spam or an image link you're fine.

outwest

BlueBlood

BlueBlood

http://bubbleponics.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-7373.html

here is a discussion on why it works or why this guy thinks it works . . .i use it and dont notice any issues with both my canna coco line in coco and bio bizz line in HP promix / RO707

This is good too if you have mycorrhizae and bacteria going :)

Just to bring it over...
"1/ ascorbic acid for chloramines or chlorine; 3 grams in 100 gallons will
treat up to 3PPM.

2/ I found your chlorine test interesting and decided to do the same to
put my arguement that reducing sugars in the molasses would handle the
chlorine and chloramine.

Using a similar test strip that tests for both free and total
chlorine, I found my city water to have 0.5ppm free and 1.5 ppm of
free and total chlorine,respectively. Testing 1 gal and 5 gal of city
water, I added 1/4 teaspoon of molasses to each. The reaction was not
instantaneous but the kinetics were faster than I would have guessed.
The one gallon reaction showed no dectable chlorine of either type
withing 3 minutes. At 5 gallons, I obtained the same result within 20
minutes.

Chlorine levels are regulated a 4 ppm maximum
4 ppm = 4mg/l
Chloramine concentrations are expressed as chlorine equivalents, so one uses the molecular weight of chlorine for calculations.
One molecule of reducing sugar will react with one molecule of chlorine.
Therefore, on a weight basis, one needs 4mg/l *(the molecular weight of the reducing sugar/the molecular weight of chlorine)/ (the decimal fraction of reducing sugar in your molasses)
I’ve seen numbers ranging from 15% to 50% for the percent reducing sugar in molasses
The reducing sugars are going to be a mixture of mono and disaccharides. Molecular weights = 180 and 342, respectively
Chlorine molecular weight =70
Therefore, worst case, one needs 4*(342/70)/.15 =130mg/L molasses
I saw a recipe by Elaine that calls for 1 oz molasses in 5 gallons. That’s 1 part in 640 or 1563 ppm .
So, worse case you have a 12 fold excess.

Run these same numbers for pure glucose (a reducing monosaccharide) and you end up needing 10ppm glucose. When i need dilution water for spraying, I use a 20-30 ppm glucose and let it sit overnight.

I continue to be perplexed by the amount of hand wringing that
goes on over chlorine and chloramine. These both function as
oxidizing agents and, as such, are destroyed by reducing agents.

Cane molasses runs at 15-20% reducing sugar.
Regulations allow a maximum of 4ppm chlorine, expressed as Cl2.
Allowing for the molecular weight difference between Cl2 the
reducing sugars in molasses, you would need 10ppm reducing sugar to
react with the chlorine.
At 15% reducing sugar, you need 66ppm molasses.

I put my molasses in first, give it some time to react and don't
worry."

ttystikk

ttystikk

so to steal a movie line, 'a spoonful of sugar helps the chloramines go down', or in this case 1/8g of sugar gets rid of chloramines.

It's posted that ascorbic acid gets rid of chloramines, does the closely related citric acid also have the same effect? If so, then my pH down powder with citric acid will do it for me, correct?

BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Yep. Now that I think about it, I reckon even the nutrients should take care of it well enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom