Removing Chloramines

• Thread starter Jafo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
I've got a 24.00 filter I bought at an RV dealership it was on sale, works perfectly well for me and is good for like 10,000 gallons so I should need a new one in a few decades. My water starts at 85ppm and after the filter is 65ppm, I'm kinda lucky my water comes from a reservoir thats very clean. Take care

mal

BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Seriously, the post that GreenSpoon hooked up pointed out that any reducing agent will do it. This means any electron donor, that is to say, most of everything in your reservoir, will take care of chloromine on its own. Nothing else is required.

Bannacis

Bannacis

Chloromine can easily be removed via bubling. Get an aquarium bubbler or use your tea bubbler over night.

wrong...chlorine will evaporate out over night, but chloramine will not. you need to filter it out.

Bannacis

Bannacis

Why would you want to add any reducing agent to your water? you need to have good uncontaminated water. the less you have to add the better

squiggly

squiggly

Hold up, chemistry alert.

Reducing agents are not all by nature bad. Hydrogen (diatomic) is a reducing agent. Pretty explosive but not toxic necessarily.

May I present for your enjoyment:
http://www.organic-chemistry.org/chemicals/reductions/carrots.shtm

Also:

Little snippet I found in this document
http://repository.lib.ncsu.edu/dr/bitstream/1840.4/1955/1/NC-WRRI-356.pdf

3.1.12.4 Reduction of Free and Combined Chlorine by Quenching Agents. All the
tested quenching agents could stoichiometrically (1:1) remove free chlorine. Three milligrams
per liter of chloramines could be completely reduced by sodium bisulfite, sodium sulfite, sodium
thiosulfate, and 12 mg/L of ascorbic acid of 7, 9, 11, and 12 mg/L. Because quenching agents
are usually added in at least twofold in excess in the drinking water sample, in the following testseach quenching agent was added at 20 mg/L into 3 mg/L of free chlorine solution and tap water sample with 3 mg/L of chloramines.

Also I believe a tiny bit of isopropanol would do the trick--it is also a reducing agent to some degree (and shouldnt be bad for plants in the tiny amounts we're talking about).

You may even look to a product like Aquasafe, which removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals to make water safe for fish and plants.

Bannacis

Bannacis

So what effect would those agents do to micro life in a living organic soil, i know sodium is bad for em. i'm no chemist. thanks for the links, but they don't help.and i'm not going to read all that...lol
use rain, well,spring or bottled water or a filter. or reverse osmosis. adding extra stuff to soil or water can be detrimental to your medium...keep it simple.
just saying, may be ok for plants,but not the soil.:rolleyes:

Landfishd

Landfishd

They are fine. You only use about 5 ml for 50 gallons. Speaking about the types of products you'd buy at the fish store.

squiggly

squiggly

what type of products at a fish store removes chloramine?

Like Aquasafe (I posted above)

Ascorbic acid is just vitamin C--I don't imagine it'd be bad for anything alive (or for the soil). Also important to remember this will be very dilute--you don't need to be a chemist to understand that. I didn't expect you to read the 200 page document--that's why I copy/pasted the important snippet from it which is perfectly readable.

Also, I don't think it's very difficult to put some carrots into water, which is what the first link says to do.

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

There are a number of nutrients that include citric and asorbic acid, like floranova. Its used to stop the nutes from quagulating and balance ph or something. But if ya mix the nutes let it sit for maybe 30 min. Then add in your zymes or don't and water.

symbiote420

symbiote420

Dry nuggz 010
Dry nuggz 011
Dry nuggz 012

I'm lovin' my garden hose filter too bro, I picked one up about two weeks ago!
That Dechlorinator product I mentioned is OMRI so I think it's safe to use and probably worth checking out, now that fish tank stuff is a no-no, I think it's sodium thiosulfate or something like that. Only high flow filters can remove chloramines from water, you need to find out what's in your water supply 1st so get an analysis, the city provides me with one every year and they don't use chloramines here, only chlorine, which along with flouride are in a gaseous form. My latest report says the ppms is less than 150, that's pretty damn good for tap!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Nice SB420. . .I used to used one of those and it worked quite well, and recently upgraded to something a little more advanced that specifically states chloramine removal. Damn this forum! ;)

outwest

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

Humic acid works to remove chloramine. It bonds with the chloramine and neutralizes it. This is a commonly used method by urban compost tea brewers. I use Humaplex Humic Acid Concentrate from Down To Earth, at the rate of 1/8 tsp per gallon. This is the ratio recommended by the local CT expert, who I think in turn learned it from Elaine Ingram.

Latest posts

Top Bottom